MV Agusta Forum banner

To those of you with more than 1 bike.....

10K views 111 replies 57 participants last post by  silentservice703 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2007 312r and i love it. I have the option at the moment of buying a second bike to keep her company.

Its a 1998 Aprilia RSV, great condition, probably test riding at weekend. Good price and have the money etc.

So my question is.......

Is having 2 bikes as good as it sounds or do you find yourself using 1 more than the other and feeling bad that the other is not being used as much? I like the idea of having a twin as well as my f4 as i have had several ducatis in the past and enjoy twins as much just worried that it may be a bit extravagant having 2.

Your thoughts and comments welcome!

Cheers, Al.

#5 ·
I have a few also and yes you can enjoy each bike. I ride with different people with different bikes. So it makes it easy for me. Not as much fun riding the MV when your with Harleys. So the Victory makes that easy plus all the Harley guys wish they had bought the Victory after seeing it on the road.

#6 ·
For me two is perfect. One's a Duc 1098 and the other is a shitbox I built. For Sunday afternoon putt putt I ride the shitbox as it's way more comfortable. The Duc I ride when I need a shot of adrenaline and need to remind myself what an old lousy rider I am. I also enjoy fiddling with both. Keeps me busy.

#7 ·
i have three at the moment
and all i can think about is when is the next one comming.
then again my obsession with bikes is beyond normal

heck there are people on here who have ten plus
randy!!!!!!

#55 ·
randy!!!!!!
Welllllll. I've got a few, all different, and I enjoy all of them. The closest analogy to your choice is my Monster S4RS and my 910R. Both bikes answer the same question, but in an entirely different manner.

On the other hand, I agree with Lee and Al. If your current universe consists of two bikes, why not think waaay outside the box? I really enjoy riding my Heritage Softail when the mood hits. Same with my R1150RT, and my CBX, and my R100S, etc. They're all VERY different riding experiences than my hooligan bikes (MV and two Ducatis). So, why not consider an antique/collector bike? My CBX has increased $10K in value in the three years I've owned it......it's like money in the bank.

Or, maybe a big fat Road King/Electra Glide? Or a sport tourer? Tomorrow, I'm riding 300 miles on my BMW because it's my most comfortable bike. I'm not interested in riding my MV or Ducs that far for the opposite reason!

#80 ·
+ 1

#9 ·
mine have all tended to be various styles, not all sportbikes, for example.... so that helps work my way around them, different bikes for different types of rides.

suspect you'll have a favorite at some point.... but that would be a cool bike to have, so if it's a good deal, give it a go!

#11 ·
Is having 2 bikes as good as it sounds?
Yes, it is! But be careful! It's addictive. I've got 8 bikes in the garage, and I'm contemplating more. Different bikes for different rides.

Btw, Lee is being modest when he describes his other bike as a, "shitbox." I've been in Lee's garage, there's no, "shitbox," to be seen. When I was there he had 3 bikes, the nicest TC you've ever seen, a super-cool chopper, and a mind-boggling cool Harley engine, Ducati frame, British looking thing, (I might have that wrong, but it was something like that). All of them were in perfect shape, clean, mechanically sound, beautiful, and just down-right cool. No, "shit," anywhwere in Lee's garage. "Shit," would feel very out-of-place in Lee's garage.

This post has been deleted
#30 ·
Hell Yeah! Go get it or you will regret it!

I myself have a '08 R312 and a '04 RSV Factory R (see my albums). I love both and like most here... want more which I will have sooner or later... that is a Duc 1198S Corse and a Bimota DB7. Then again, there is a KICK-ASS F4 1000S out there that has my eye and I want it too!

I have a question though... I thought the R312 only came out in 2008, not 2007 with the RR312 replacing it in 2009???

Peace,
MV you are correct only in the states though. So in 2007 the 2008 312R came out and only 150 to the US. and in 2009 the 312RR came out and no one bought it cause it was junk.

:popcorn:

#14 ·
Being able to have two bikes is a great thing. Especially if they are the two bikes that you dream of having. If you have the means, got for it! You'll never regret it. I love both of my bikes and ride them almost equally. I have to admit, I do have a lil more fun when riding my MV.

#56 ·
Oh, yes you can. Not complaining at all, but there are times when some of my bikes go months between riding them. Not because I don't appreciate them, but because life gets in the way of motorcycling sometimes.

Will that keep me from buying yet another bike? Hell no. I'm looking for my next scoot as we speak, but looked on rationally, I'm making a foolish move.

#16 ·
Hmmm, let's see, seven days in a week, seven bikes in the garage...coincidence? I think not.

(1) 312R:f4:, (2) Monster S4Rs, (3) 748s, (4) HD CVO Ultra Classic, (5) '63 Honda C100A, (6) Monster 695 (Mrs.SS's), (7)...:jsm:wait....there is no (7):wtf:...:idea:...:brutale::birthday:(Mrs.SS's):drummer::naughty:

Reactions: Dova80
#50 ·
Hmmm, let's see, seven days in a week, seven bikes in the garage...coincidence? I think not.

(1) 312R:f4:, (2) Monster S4Rs, (3) 748s, (4) HD CVO Ultra Classic, (5) '63 Honda C100A, (6) Monster 695 (Mrs.SS's), (7)...:jsm:wait....there is no (7):wtf:...:idea:...:brutale::birthday:(Mrs.SS's):drummer::naughty:
have too look for your garage post my 748 gets me too work and the f4 1000 gets me in trouble :mouthwate

#17 ·
Yes, one is good, more than one is better. I think an IL4 and a V twin is a good mix. I suppose I would think that cos that's what I have, but the two types are great in their own right, especially when they are from Italian manufacturers. Good luck with the test ride. I like the Aprillia but found they suit taller riders better.

#19 ·
It's 'horses for courses' isn't it and if you have the money and the room then definitely do it!. I've 3...a CBR 900 Fireblade, Suzuki GSX 750 (twin shock retro style) and MV Brutale 1078rr. I traded my Yamaha Fazer 1000 to get the MV.....but if I'd had enough room I'd have kept it too as it was a great bike. It's great to have completely different 'styles' of bike to use depending on your mood. I'd really like to get an old 60's British classic BSA or Norton to add to my collection....imagine jumping from a Brutale 1078 or fireblade to an old BSA. Some days you want an adrenaline rush, others just an easy chill out cruise round a coast road in the sun. As I say 'horses for courses'.

#21 ·
I'll go against the grain here and say no.

When i've had 2-3 bikes at a time i have always found there was one i liked more than the others and that was the one i always wanted to ride. The only reason i ever rode the others was just to get them out and about or split mileage. When i was on them, i secretly wanted to be on the other bike.

Having said that, multiple bikes is awesome simply because there is more to gawk at in the garage. On a day where you simply want something different, you have that choice :)

#22 ·
I have to agree with Glen. The most I've had at once was 3, and I found myself always going to my favorite while the other 2 didnt get much use. Now if you have 1 for sport and 1 for touring, thats a whole different animal.

#24 ·
Hell yeah, do it! I am myself giving serious consideration to adding an aprilia Mille to the stable as a track bike. I just sold my supermoto, a 625smc, which was a real contrast to the evo3 and a hoot to ride. My choice was this: the f4 is a wedding ring, but I will have many mistresses!

#25 ·
Go get the thing!
I am a strong supporter of "horses for courses" and "you can never have too many bikes". Though in my case, I am limited by the size of my garage and its clutter of surfboards, wine racks and all manners of sporting and other equipment. So, just a Brute 910R and a Beemer K1200R.
Bring on the new house and its massive garage so I can add to the collection :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.