MV Agusta Forum banner

triumph speed triple!!

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Mr_Wryt 
#1 ·
Hi all, I test rode a trumpet speed triple today and what a laugh!!

The one i rode was a low mile 05 plate with loads of trick bits including a really short mivv can. Surprisingly the radial brakes had crap initial bike compared to the conventional nissins on my f4 750, but the dealer had put new pads in.

Also, compared with my casolli modded pipes, the mivv can wasn`t that loud, i was expecting it to be horendous. The popping on the over run was nice though.

Alarm bells started to ring when he mentioned the first owner was Kevin Carmichael!! Though apprently this one wasn`t stunted!!mmm

I may have to move a few things around the garage to fit this bike in.

#3 ·
The current speed triple is a total hoot to ride - my mate had one for a while and I was always happy to swap bikes for a few hours.

Plenty of grunt and perfect for the road, mindbendingly nimble and the brakes left eyeball marks on the inside of my visor (must have been the new pads causing your one to respond badly).

Best of all, the noise.. a triple with an arrow can is a beautiful thing :)

At some point I will happily have one in the garage, purely as a toy

#5 ·
Go for the "R" model as its better value for money.

A couple of friends of mine have the Street T's and they are both over the moon with the bike.

These are great bikes, with one of the nicest engine gearbox's combinations around.. Very, very smooth and slick.

If the new F3 has as good an engine and box as the Trumpet, then MV will have a sure fired hit on their hands..

#8 ·
I rode an 08 Street Triple and Speed Triple. The Street is my pick of the 2. I found the 1050 had to be revved to reach serious power. Revving a big capacity engine doesn't appeal, i want it to give me low end power.

The 675 i thought was fantastic. I would seriously consider making space in my garage one day. The downside was it had an arrow exhaust with no baffles. The whirring sound annoyed the crap out of me. I'm the exception though it seems as most love the sound of a triple.

#9 ·
I have both a 1050 speed trip and a street trip R. That 1050 has so much torque down low, I have no idea why anybody says it needs to be revved. I have taken it out on the track several times and you better be careful with that throttle when you have it over on its side down at 3000 rpm, because it is quite capable of busting the rear tire loose and if you aren't careful, giving you the sky box seating for the impending crash.

The Arrow pipe with the Triumph download is awesome for obtaining the best sound from the engine, and the performance is not at all compromised.

The street trip R is just a good bike all around, street or track. Both bikes needed suspension sorting, esp the street trip....undersprung on the front and oversprung on the rear for any normal rider. Even the website for Race Tech has a large print warning of how far off the stock spring setup is in terms of poor balance.

#10 ·
I have both a 1050 speed trip and a street trip R. That 1050 has so much torque down low, I have no idea why anybody says it needs to be revved. I have taken it out on the track several times and you better be careful with that throttle when you have it over on its side down at 3000 rpm, because it is quite capable of busting the rear tire loose and if you aren't careful, giving you the sky box seating for the impending crash.
I can't ride for shit, that could be why.

I did ride a BKing beforehand so that could also be another reason. 184hp will make anything feel slooooow :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.