Speedodrd - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to pistonpete Send a message via MSN to pistonpete Send a message via Yahoo to pistonpete
Speedodrd

Wow! All I can say is amazing.

I like many of you out there have done gear changes as well as changing tire size on the rear wheel. Well, after these changes, it affected the speedometer/odometer considerably.

After speaking with the tech who dynotuned my power commander, he mentioned a product called speedo healer.

I did some research on the speedo healer both on this site as well as others and while this product is good, it cost around $115 and some of the threads said there was wire splicing required.

After doing more research I came across a product called Speedodrd by 12 o'clock Labs. This product is awesome and is simple to install. I ordered one from www.motomummy.com for $70/shipped and it worked wonders. For the record, I am not affiliated with this site but just wanted to help out anyone who may be looking for a product to rectify any discrepancies with their speedo after changes in gear ratio, etc.

I borrowed a hand held GPS from a friend that calculated speed to the tenth of a MPH (xx.x mph). They give the formula to figure out the multiplier as ((GPS speed/ speedometer speed) *100) - 100. This is your adjusted ratio. Once you have that, you input this number as your correction ratio and voila! Your speedo is calibrated correctly as well as your odometer reading correctly as well.

As stated earlier, I ordered mine from Moto Mummy and it said the item was for 2003-2010 MV Agusta F4 and Brutales. Well, I have a 2002 F4S and the plug is the same so I'm sure it works for all models. You need the D1 unit which is also used for Ducati models as well. I didn't see that any of our site sponsors had this but maybe they can pick this product up in the future so we can pick this item up from them.

One other cool thing is that it saves your top MPH traveled which can be reset whenever you want.

Below is a link to the instructional video of how it works and the website where I purchased it as well.

Here are the corresponding links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikH6Shk3u44

http://www.motomummy.com/store/produ...cat=255&page=1

Good luck!

Once you have tasted Italian, everything else is just rice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Sounds the same as a speedo healer but cheaper, only trouble is now your odometer will be out right??
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
No...the odometer will be correct as it is driven by the same sensor. Odometer will be incorrect if you change gearing and do not install a re-calibration device.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Sounds good. I've got a speedohealer on my F4, you do need to do some wire splicing but if an amateur electrician like me can fit it, it can't be that hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to pistonpete Send a message via MSN to pistonpete Send a message via Yahoo to pistonpete
Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Sounds good. I've got a speedohealer on my F4, you do need to do some wire splicing but if an amateur electrician like me can fit it, it can't be that hard.

I almost bought the speedo healer until I ran across this item. I'm sure the wire splicing isn't too bad but this thing comes with factory style plugs which is nice (no splicing whatsoever). It doesn't have the electronic box like the speedo healer just a small circuit board (about the size of a dime) that is sealed.

From the research I did, I like how the speedo healer gave you an actual readout where as the speedodrd you have to count the blinks but once you set it up, its actually quite easy and at a little more than 1/2 the cost of the speedo healer.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
No...the odometer will be correct as it is driven by the same sensor. Odometer will be incorrect if you change gearing and do not install a re-calibration device.
Not in my experiance, the speedo runs up to 10% fast odometer is within 2% accuracy, i've done corrections in the past to correct the speedo to spot on (police radar only allows 4% tolerance& then you have a ticket)with out changing the gearing which then puts the odo about 8% slow & can be a pain when touring.
But yes agreed once you change your gearing you have no choice but either aim to correct odo or speedo or a comprimise of both.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 PM

Sounds like a cool item, the problem I see is how do you calibrate the speed correctly without a GPS.

The 750 runs a 14/41 sprocket with a 190x50 tyre. The SPR came with different rear sprocket combos running 180x55 tyre or 190x50 tyre.

The 1000s originally came with a 15/39 sprocket and a 190x50 rear tyre. The later 1000s came with a 15/40 sprocket and some with 190x50 and even a 190x55 rear tyre.

The 1000R came with a 15/40 sprocket and 190x55 rear. The Brutale runs different sprockets again 15/43 with 190x50 and 190x55 rears.

I think that there must be a hidden function that allows you to calibrate the speedo from the instrument cluster. Unless the instrument cluster has ALOT of margin for errors to cater for the different sprocket and tyre configuration.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime View Post

I think that there must be a hidden function that allows you to calibrate the speedo from the instrument cluster. Unless the instrument cluster has ALOT of margin for errors to cater for the different sprocket and tyre configuration.
Interesting ...I wonder if you are right there, like you say so many different gearing options???
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackbiker View Post
Not in my experiance, the speedo runs up to 10% fast odometer is within 2% accuracy, i've done corrections in the past to correct the speedo to spot on (police radar only allows 4% tolerance& then you have a ticket)with out changing the gearing which then puts the odo about 8% slow & can be a pain when touring.
But yes agreed once you change your gearing you have no choice but either aim to correct odo or speedo or a comprimise of both.
Since the speedometer is driven by a single sensor (both speed and odometer function), correcting one will have exactly the same factor on the other. It is a simple electric pulse.

Most motorcycles today have speedometer that read up to 10% fast from the factory. My MV is not so far off (maybe dead on when tires are fresh) and much more accurate then some other brands, most notably Japanese. The odometer is incorrect in direct relation to the speed error from my observation.

Quote:
The speedometer's integrated circuitry can be calibrated for whatever the manufacturer specifies to accommodate different gearing, tire sizes, et al....but it is proprietary and locked software. I have never heard of anyone who could access it for any type vehicle (cars, too). I would presume that access would also let you change the accumulated odometer reading (which would be against the law).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds like a cool item, the problem I see is how do you calibrate the speed correctly without a GPS.

The 750 runs a 14/41 sprocket with a 190x50 tyre. The SPR came with different rear sprocket combos running 180x55 tyre or 190x50 tyre.

The 1000s originally came with a 15/39 sprocket and a 190x50 rear tyre. The later 1000s came with a 15/40 sprocket and some with 190x50 and even a 190x55 rear tyre.

The 1000R came with a 15/40 sprocket and 190x55 rear. The Brutale runs different sprockets again 15/43 with 190x50 and 190x55 rears.

Actually, if you go to the link below (Speedo Healer's website), you can input all the info needed to do calculations without a GPS.

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

After clicking on the link, click on Speedo Healer on the left side, then click on Online calculators, select "Estimated" method, then click "GO" and enter all of the pertinent information.

I personally think the GPS way would be more accurate considering motorcycle speedometers come from the factory with errors.

Good luck!

*edited*

I just was there is a tab that asks if you want to include correction for stock speedo error so I guess there calculator is right on.

In fact, when I calibrated my speedodrd with a GPS, I did several runs and averaged -8.43 ratio (I used -8.4 ratio)and the calculator gave a -8.5 ratio so I guess if you know the stock gearing/tire size, that is pretty good enough.

Last edited by pistonpete; 09-21-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode