MV Agusta Forum banner

Help!!!

3K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  Boof 
#1 ·
I am asking for any advise I can get to keep me from moving on to another brand. I got my 2005 F4 in March of this year and absolutely love it. The sound of the exhaust, the power is well, addicting, the artistry of the lines of the bike is amazing and the ooo'in and awwe'in I get when I ride is exhilarating but the body pain during and after a day's ride is just overwhelming. I am in fairly good shape as the military made sure of that and I exercise almost daily but after getting off the bike, my wrists are extremely sore and my knees and shoulders are just as sore. I tried different riding positions and stretching throughout the ride but it doesn't help. At the end of my last ride I had to pull the clutch in using my whole hand because my wrist was so sore. Don't want to move to another brand but I also want to be able to enjoy the ride and feel fairly good afterwards. Thanks!!

#2 ·
Hi Frank

You could try changing the bars around. (Swapping the left for the right and vice versa). I think there is a thread on this somewhere. Perhaps get a taller screen. Don't give up on it just yet!

#3 ·
your wrists will eventually get used to it. I ran into the same problem and it went away over time. I stuck it out and i am more than happy i did!

#4 ·
your wrists will eventually get used to it. I ran into the same problem and it went away over time. I stuck it out and i am more than happy i did!
+1. It gets beeter with time! You can buy handle bar risers from Fast by Ferracci, and adjustible rearsets, those 2 alone will help a lot.

#5 ·
Try not gripping the bars with a death grip, you can easily change directions with 1 finger. You need to relax and bend your elbows rather than straight arms. Use your legs to support yourself on the bike rather than your shoulders.

#6 ·
the body pain during and after a day's ride is just overwhelming.
Everyone's body mechanics are different. Some people are simply not built for being in certain positions.

'You'll get used to it' is true to a certain point. However that adaptation usually happens in the first few weeks of riding, after that if it isn't getting any better then it's not going to get better no matter how much you ride.

I ride 20,000+ miles/yr on bikes and know all about pain and have been through many bikes. My body hates supersports bikes. People twice my age will ride 300km days on an F4 no problems. I am jealous, but i'm just not built for it so i deal with it.

I had an F4 750 which is more aggressive than the 1000 position and got lower back and wrist pain. I tried gripping the tank harder with my legs to take the pain out of the wrist of which the irony of that is my back pain got really bad and i couldn't ride for more than 5 minutes without being in agony.

Simple solution. I sold it. Riding is about enjoyment. If you aren't having fun, why ride.

We have a Duc and a Brute now and I couldn't be happier. I am back to enjoying riding bikes and both are far quicker than i would be on any supersport.

Try something like heli bars although that will look weird on an F4 and ruin the look of the bike. You will still be leaned forward but it should give you enough relief to ride with much less pain. You could try flipping the stock bars upside down like the Ducati guys do. It will help a bit but not like heli bars.

#7 ·
I was having the same issues, I had back injury before and the age is catching up, I love my bike, its almost like I was selling one of my kids .
I almost sold it but I did the handlebar switch left to right and right to left, takes about an hour with philips screwdriver, allen wrench and dremel for the little tabs made a big difference, now going to get the seat reshaped probably going to keep it now

#8 ·
I almost sold it but I did the handlebar switch left to right and right to left, takes about an hour with philips screwdriver, allen wrench and dremel for the little tabs made a big difference, now going to get the seat reshaped probably going to keep it now
Aremc - The below thread is what mrdon003 is referring to. Worth a shot considering it's free to try it.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30844

#9 ·
Ride with your abs ....you should not be loading your wrists and arms so much. Do core work and concentrate on using your core for riding position. Your wrists will not hurt, you will have better balance, you will be a better rider and you will be working on you ABS. Try being light on the bars.

#10 ·
I have a bad back, wrists, knees and too many years on the clock, but cannot ride a naked bike for more than 10 mins because of discomfort.
Odd I know, but I can ride all day on a sports bike. Last month I rode over 2 hours to a trackday, the wife trailered my MV, spent all day on track, and then rode my Hayabusa home again, without problems.

#11 ·
Thanks all for the great advise and recommendations. I get the theme that i need to look at my workout to get a lil stronger in areas, ease up on my riding position by not emphasizing use of my wrist and tight grips and consider making a change to the bars. I will try it all as it is all doable.
Thanks Groper for your history, your advise and the link and will keep in my pocket for future reference. i am sure there is some serious ridin there is Sydney from what i saw when i was there a couple of years ago with the US Navy. Though i had to rely on public transportations, i was imagining being there on two wheels! Thanks again to all!!!
Cheers,
Frank

#13 ·
and the most importanat advise I can give you is: Don't buy a Brutale!!!

You'll be taking a few steps backwards with your manhood, and eventually be wearing pirate shirts :jsm: :cry: :banghead: :ahhh: :humpother :stopp: :baddeal:

#14 ·
Actually Frank - why don't you take a Brutale out for a and equalevant run (no offence Djester ), but a Brute is NOT and F4, but it can provide you with the same type of buzz - but is definitely far more comfortable....no need to move away from the Brand, just get the right model to suit your riding style.

cheers

#16 ·
FBF Risers are in deed a big relief for Your issues. Another thing I suffered from over the years is riding gear ( I mean the leathers). In case they restrict You in anymovement, lets say the collar is hindering You from bending Your neck back in riding position, You have to fight it all the time. Which is exhausting, painfull and cramping. Especially if You wear only a jacket or lets say a 2pc with an high leather collar. I have now an professional race suit with textile stretch at the back of the collar and it feels like I have sweater on. Did in my holydays three 4 hours rides and can't report any serious pain anymore. Of course I'm tired after that but not that I need physiotherapist anymore.
And don't give up on the F4 as long as You are a man.

#19 ·
Only a brute rider would think of that color scheme for an F4! :)

I guess Luke is going to be cut some slack now?
I knew that pirate shirt was given to you, I guess you don't know about the F4 & Brutale jokes going on here?
Oh-well, as long as you aren't going to buy a Kawasaki, it'll be ok.

#23 ·
Only a brute rider would think of that color scheme for an F4! :)

I knew that pirate shirt was given to you, I guess you don't know about the F4 & Brutale jokes going on here?
This is what happens when one of us speaks English and the other speaks American.

Dude, yes i am aware of the jokes hence my classic post which was voted best post of the year on the forum -

Despite what you F4 guys think the pirate shirt didn't come with the Brutale.

Although i did see a limited edition F4 for sale which came with a strap-on.

Unless it's not called a strap-on in the US? :confused: A strap-on is probably a burger there of some sort?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.