Help!!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Unhappy Help!!!

I am asking for any advise I can get to keep me from moving on to another brand. I got my 2005 F4 in March of this year and absolutely love it. The sound of the exhaust, the power is well, addicting, the artistry of the lines of the bike is amazing and the ooo'in and awwe'in I get when I ride is exhilarating but the body pain during and after a day's ride is just overwhelming. I am in fairly good shape as the military made sure of that and I exercise almost daily but after getting off the bike, my wrists are extremely sore and my knees and shoulders are just as sore. I tried different riding positions and stretching throughout the ride but it doesn't help. At the end of my last ride I had to pull the clutch in using my whole hand because my wrist was so sore. Don't want to move to another brand but I also want to be able to enjoy the ride and feel fairly good afterwards. Thanks!!

Frank
2010 MV 1090 Brutale
2012 HD CVO Ultra
2000 HD Ultra (Sold)
2005 MV F4 (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Frank

You could try changing the bars around. (Swapping the left for the right and vice versa). I think there is a thread on this somewhere. Perhaps get a taller screen. Don't give up on it just yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
your wrists will eventually get used to it. I ran into the same problem and it went away over time. I stuck it out and i am more than happy i did!

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneggs&ham View Post
your wrists will eventually get used to it. I ran into the same problem and it went away over time. I stuck it out and i am more than happy i did!
+1. It gets beeter with time! You can buy handle bar risers from Fast by Ferracci, and adjustible rearsets, those 2 alone will help a lot.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345

Old 09-13-2010, 06:34 PM

Try not gripping the bars with a death grip, you can easily change directions with 1 finger. You need to relax and bend your elbows rather than straight arms. Use your legs to support yourself on the bike rather than your shoulders.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alremc View Post
the body pain during and after a day's ride is just overwhelming.
Everyone's body mechanics are different. Some people are simply not built for being in certain positions.

'You'll get used to it' is true to a certain point. However that adaptation usually happens in the first few weeks of riding, after that if it isn't getting any better then it's not going to get better no matter how much you ride.

I ride 20,000+ miles/yr on bikes and know all about pain and have been through many bikes. My body hates supersports bikes. People twice my age will ride 300km days on an F4 no problems. I am jealous, but i'm just not built for it so i deal with it.

I had an F4 750 which is more aggressive than the 1000 position and got lower back and wrist pain. I tried gripping the tank harder with my legs to take the pain out of the wrist of which the irony of that is my back pain got really bad and i couldn't ride for more than 5 minutes without being in agony.

Simple solution. I sold it. Riding is about enjoyment. If you aren't having fun, why ride.

We have a Duc and a Brute now and I couldn't be happier. I am back to enjoying riding bikes and both are far quicker than i would be on any supersport.

Try something like heli bars although that will look weird on an F4 and ruin the look of the bike. You will still be leaned forward but it should give you enough relief to ride with much less pain. You could try flipping the stock bars upside down like the Ducati guys do. It will help a bit but not like heli bars.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Established Member

I was having the same issues, I had back injury before and the age is catching up, I love my bike, its almost like I was selling one of my kids .
I almost sold it but I did the handlebar switch left to right and right to left, takes about an hour with philips screwdriver, allen wrench and dremel for the little tabs made a big difference, now going to get the seat reshaped probably going to keep it now
Old 09-13-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdon003 View Post
I almost sold it but I did the handlebar switch left to right and right to left, takes about an hour with philips screwdriver, allen wrench and dremel for the little tabs made a big difference, now going to get the seat reshaped probably going to keep it now
Aremc - The below thread is what mrdon003 is referring to. Worth a shot considering it's free to try it.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30844
Old 09-13-2010, 11:54 PM

Ride with your abs ....you should not be loading your wrists and arms so much. Do core work and concentrate on using your core for riding position. Your wrists will not hurt, you will have better balance, you will be a better rider and you will be working on you ABS. Try being light on the bars.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:05 AM

I have a bad back, wrists, knees and too many years on the clock, but cannot ride a naked bike for more than 10 mins because of discomfort.
Odd I know, but I can ride all day on a sports bike. Last month I rode over 2 hours to a trackday, the wife trailered my MV, spent all day on track, and then rode my Hayabusa home again, without problems.

oldnfast(ish) Racing towards old age

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in