MV Agusta Forum banner

Hey Guys: Really need your help!

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  JDS 
#1 ·
I'm almost at the point of having my F4 bodywork and fuel tank painted.

I want to get a fuel tank decal made up the same as was used by Gary Hocking and John Hartle on their 1960's Red & Silver MV racing bikes when they raced against the likes of Mike Hailwood and others.

Back in them days Gary Hocking raced MV's under the MV Agusta "Privat", a curious name applied to the fuel tank to indicate that he did not officially represent the manufacturer.

I want to have the same fuel tank decal made up for my F4, and would appreciate your help in finding a decent colour image of this "Privat" tank badge.

The only colour image I could find was off a DVD of Mike Hailwood and as you can see it isn't a very good sample. :cry:

So if anyone has a decent image of this MV Privat decal in a book or poster, then I really would appreciate a JPEG..

Cheers Guys
John

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Cheers Josh..

You did better than me in finding that close up picture of Hocking on his MV.. Cheers for the effort Bud.

To get a decent reproduction of the original tank badge, I need a pin point sharp resolution image of the "Privat" badge to send to the decal people.

For them to have any sods chance of getting this decal right, they need to have the specific colour and dimensions of the image.

Mark from Timemachine kindly sent me this Black & White image, but I’m not 100% sure that the tank badge on Hocking’s bike had the MV logo below the Privat wording.

I’m hoping that a forum member with some MV classic bike interest has a colour image of these 1960’s bikes when they where raced under the Privateer entry.

Cheers
John

Attachments

#5 ·
Have you tried a PM to Dorian or Sherrifof0?

#8 ·
Yeah it's a difficult one to call..

I've plenty of books on Meriden Trumpets, Laverda Jota's, mass amounts of Ducati books but no books of the MV's. If I knew of a book which have a close up colour picture of this badge, then I'd buy it.

Gav..

Some of us are going on a ride out tomorrow ( weather permitting) from Beds over to Oxfordshire... Meeting up point is the Maccy D's on the A505 junction of the A4146 near Leighton Buzzard ( Billington Road, Leighton Buzzard LU7 9HH ).. meeting time is 09:30.

If you fancy coming along, then feel free and bring as many with as you like.

I'm texting the usual suspects this morning.

#10 ·
Hey JDS,

If you get a book called 'MV Agusta Fours The Complete Story' by Mick Walker you will have plenty of Info in there but unfortunately no Decal like the one you posted...only like Demitris. also most of the pictures are black and white....Don't know if this helped.

#17 ·
Man I looked all over the place and couln't find a better image than the black and white or the one you have. That would be very cool to get your bike done up that way, that goes way back pre-Hailwood! perfect for a "privateer" street bike.
You might want to try getting in touch with a guy named Dale Walksler. He's a friend of mine and my Dad's and runs the Wheels Through Time museum in N.C. (which is a VERY cool place by the way) His expertise and museum is American stuff but may be able to point you in the right direction of research on tracking down a photo or who might have one. If you call or E-Mail him, make sure you tell him you were referred by Kyle and Keith Campbell of Hourglass Racing. He'll know us... he's done stuff with us for vintage racing and is a very nice (but busy) guy.

http://wheelsthroughtime.com/

I did find one picture...might be able to save and enlarge... not good enough for reproduction but thought maybe it would help...at least good for sizing and placement... hope it works, first link post for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.