MV Agusta Forum banner

F4 2010 Purchase Help & Questions UK (London)

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Estranged 
#1 ·
Hi All

I am based i London and wanting to know locals thoughts on 2 dealers, Black Dog and MV Agusta London?

Also, who do you insure through, being a fully licenced Aussie here for just over 5 years, no garage (pvte mews so pvte property off street). I understand the F4 2010 has an immoboliser, what do u tell the monkey insurance people it is?

I know I can get the BMW cheaper and get insurance (a hefty £1100) but I couldnt stomach waking each morning to see it sitting out the front and would probably wish it was stolen... completely opposite to the MV where I wouldnt sleep and watch it permanently and cry if stolen!

thanks in advance!

Matt.

#3 ·
London,:wtf: expensive sports bike,:wtf::wtf: no garage!:wtf::wtf::wtf::jsm: It's not going to be cheap Matt. I'd look at the possibility of renting a lock up near to where you live, the rental might be offset to a certain degree by the insurance saving of having your bike indoors and away from prying eyes.

#4 · (Edited)
Hi Matty - I was in a similar situation in Sydney renting a house with no garage with my F4 750. As John suggests look for a lock up or try an underground car park near by. This worked for me where I could "hide" the bike and chain it up properly. It cost me a couple of bottles of whisky for the attendants to keep an eye out for it.

It helped a lot with my insurance - a lot wouldn't touch me on street at all.

Try mcncompare.com as well for a quote

#5 ·
hi Matt,

I dont have direct experience of the 2 dealers you mention, but I DO have a very good relationhip/experience with one outside London (not too far away tho). They have treated very well and are super enthuisatic about MVs. Would be happy to introduce you, as i KNOW they will look after you on a 2010 - pm me if interested

Cheers,

Andy

#7 ·
thanks guys, greatly appreciated.

I have managed to get a quote (not incl commute) for around £1264 with MCE a bit exy but in 1998 i got an R1 at the age of 22 after only riding an RG250 (with some mods) and insurance for that was around 10% of bike cost (in Sydney, Aus). So 10yrs later not much has changed regarding me and risk i guess!

Garaged price drops to around 8-900 but will cost more than £300 a month rent one in London!

I guess its now wether am I happy with the alarm and a chunky chain around wheel holding it down?

#9 ·
Unfortunately if i move out of London it will be back to Sydney. The 'don is where it's at for the next 2 years at least, figured and MV would make it more fun!

Be interesting if you could find out rate of 'stealability', like how many been purchased and then lifted in central london... but I guess that's obvious enough by the insurance rates as a proxy.

#13 ·
Unfortunately if i move out of London it will be back to Sydney. The 'don is where it's at for the next 2 years at least, figured and MV would make it more fun!

Be interesting if you could find out rate of 'stealability', like how many been purchased and then lifted in central london... but I guess that's obvious enough by the insurance rates as a proxy.
That would be 'unfortunate' how? :laughing:

#11 ·
Hello MattyJ,

I have had experience with Blackdog through a recent 2010 F4 purchase. Contrary to Tocalosh Black's position I have had a fantastic experience with the Owner/Operators'. From the moment I walked in the door I was made to feel welcomed and each and every one of the myriad of questions I posed were answered knowledgeably and patiently. This was in stark contrast to the experiences I had at Parklane BMW and the other bike dealers I encountered as I searched for the 'right bike'. Tocalosh Black may have had some negative experiences, which I would personally like to understand as Black Dog will be critical to ensuring the safe running of my bike over the coming years. In absence of this feedback I can only say that Blackdog has made me realize what has been lost with the demise of small family owned business.

I like you have been living out of the UK until 7 years ago. The insurance companies were not willing to recognize my foreign no claims record and due to this I was quoted from £2500 to an astonishing £9500. All of this with an impeccable riding record reaching back to 1996. I recently contacted Carole Nash, based on one of the threads I read on this forum 2 weeks ago and the result has been an insurance rate of under £800! I would suggest you speak to CN and get them to listen to your unique situation and to understand the level of risk you represent. In my case they took into consideration that I have been riding big bikes during my time in the UK as company vehicles, although I was never directly insured. CN took the time to keep both the underwriter and I on the phone to secure a great rate!

I hope this post helps. I will be picking up my new bike at the end of the week from Blackdog and would be happy to give and update as to my delivery experience.

Take care

#15 ·
Tracker doesn't stop it from being stolen though. It's a very clumsy tool to aid its recovery - if you want this sort of thing, I would go for a version that allows an operator to map it via the internet.
/In 15 years of driving Tracker-equipped vehicles covering the trunk roads of South Wales, I only recovered one vehicle with it. And that was parked in a farm, not mobile.
//My insurance company is not interested in Tracking devices.

#16 ·
the uk tracker place propoganda says it uses UHF so can trace it within vans etc and u notify the cops and they send a dude? where as gps ones get lost when hidden in vans as no signal etc? they do have one u can track as well online but only for cars atm.

i'd like to bolt it down etc but as renting in a pvte mews i doubt my landlord/neighbours would like that, but i guess i can ask?

thanks for the info/advice Harvey

#18 ·
Hi All

I am based i London and wanting to know locals thoughts on 2 dealers, Black Dog and MV Agusta London?
You won't go wrong with MV Agusta london, it is a sister company to southern cross motorcycles in Kilburn.

I've known the owner since i was 17 and had my first job in a bike shop. You will absolutely no issues whatsoever having them do your work..............really really decent bunch of guys.

In fact when i moved out of london and set up shop where i am now i directed all my local customers to them as i knew they would be looked after well...................i received only good feedback.

do a search for Southern cross motorcycles and you'll find more info about them. :)

#20 ·
I bought mine from Red Dog Motorcycles in Edenbridge. Mitch & the guys there will look after you, and find you whichever model you're after. I'd recommend them.

Haven't had the experience of any others yet.

Re security, buy a cheap cover and make it look old, dirty and shitty... people don't look under oily old covers as they're for crap bikes. Secure locks only slow people if they're around something secure and off the ground. Noisy alarms only help if you hear them.

The rule of thumb to remember is that yours only has to be harder to nick than the one next to it. Sad, but true.

To answer the earlier question, yes we do have trackers over here. Along with schemes like datatag, smartwater, alphadot, etc.

I'm based in London so let me know if you need pointing in the right direction or just fancy a coffee/ride someday.

#21 ·
Might be abit late with this....

You could try this website for insurance too, it's what i've had best results from thebikeinsurer.co.uk

As for trackers I personally wouldn't bother. If it takes the police two weeks to find a dust cart fitted with one that ended up in another country what chance will they have with a bike that can be broken down in a matter of hours?

As for mv dealers, or even dealers that know about mv's, are there that many in/around east london? I'm more in essex rather than east central london, there's one ducati dealer near me and the other few are honda, suzuki and yamaha dealers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.