does MV Agusta talk to you? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
does MV Agusta talk to you?

I was thinking (dangerous I know).

With the shift in recent years toward greater engagement and involvement from brands, I am a little astounded to not see anyone from MV Agusta active on this forum (or am I wrong).

With all this talk about the next phase in the life of MV Agusta under Claudio, we probably need to remember that for sustainability in the case of a privately owned corporation, profit is king. So, there are only a few ways to ensure a profit.

1. Reduce costs - with prices remaining the same, or
2. Increase prices with costs remaining the same

Pretty simple equation when stated this way - harder to achieve in reality. Quite a few of you are confusing the volume of Jap bike sales with success. Success for public companies is mostly dependent on share price. Share price is mostly influenced by sales, market share etc. Therefore, privately owned corporations have a very different master to publicly traded companies.

Without going too far down this rabbit hole - the reason for writing this thread was this...customer retention and cross sell.

We should all recognise that one way to reduce costs is to sell more product to an already loyal customer (as marketing costs are reduced - and marketing costs are often the largest variable cost in the auto industry).

Am I right to assume that this forum is the leading collection of loyal existing customers in the world?

Then why are we not being 'engaged' with by the new management?

Forum's are the unforgotten playground of the marketer - the emergence of social media channels has seen people forget about forums. As someone who has a lot to do with social media campaigns - I KNOW much of the gold exists in forums, where active, smart, loyal and communicative customers reside.

When was the last time anyone from MV spoke to you, and asked for your opinion, input or involvement in a project?

Why does the company look to spend SO much money on securing new customers - when they could cross sell new product to most of us on here (who would not have a Brutale and an F3 for instance - and there are a few mebers on here who have a Brutale and F4 in the garage).

We surely, are the cheapest, most effective sales and marketing team that MV Agusta have - but we are underemployed!!!

So, in closing - how do we bring this to the attention of the new management team at MV Agusta?

I have enough numbers and experience with some pretty big brands to promise MV Agusta that being more closely involved and engaged with this community could well be the difference between success or failure in the next few years?

Look forward to the conversation!!

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
None of the OEMs participate in internet forum discussions (Japanese, European, American)...too many potential problems, legal and otherwise...but they all monitor the more popular sites dedicated to their products.

I can assure you, they do monitor the forums....MVAgusta USA lurks here...I imagine the Italians do as well....

Matt Stutzman came to talk to us at the Bubbalicious last year, that came about because of this forum....he may again this year, we shall see.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM

BrutaleLuke , I'm with you 100% on that one !!!
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
None of the OEMs participate in internet forum discussions (Japanese, European, American)...too many potential problems, legal and otherwise...but they all monitor the more popular sites dedicated to their products.

I can assure you, they do monitor the forums....MVAgusta USA lurks here...I imagine the Italians do as well....

Matt Stutzman came to talk to us at the Bubbalicious last year, that came about because of this forum....he may again this year, we shall see.
Too many potential problems legal and otherwise. No, that is simply not true...even the US Airforce has policy for allowing its 'command' to participate in external forums. This is a poor excuse if MV Agusta is using it (or any manufacturer for that matter - spend some time watching Scott Monty from Ford and how he engages online!) .

Monitoring forums v participating is akin to stalking and is no different to the dude who goes to a party and stands in the corner - he wins no friends and achieves little.

Great to hear MV Agusta USA are 'watching' the forum and the come along and talk to you at a gathering...kinda sounds a little old school to me though?

This is a pretty serious subject - old school thinking and blaming 'legal' issues for not engaging with your audience and customers is just plain mmowwooaaarrr.

BTW - I am not venting at you, I appreciate your input, and putting these issues/activities on the table....I just do not think they are valid issues nor effective activities , and if this is what you are being told, then I think we all need to challenge that thinking...or nothing changes.

BrutaleLuke

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 PM

+10000000 on everything above! We MV owners are a small bunch that try to stick together and the presence of a MV employee would speak volumes about their dedication to their existing customers, who like Luke said would most likely replace their ageing MV's with new ones.

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
What is interesting to me is that, not only MV, but other brands are watching this forum. I was contacted last year by a Motorcycle Development "Think Tank" and they actually came to my house to dig into my experience and opinions. Mrs. SS was there, and, as a new rider, her opinion was enthusiasticly sought. This Group then plopped down some cards with stats and said use these to build your dream bike...HP, Torque, Mileage, Price, Acceleration, Touring Capacity etc....

I was then sworn to secrecy about what Motorcycle it is. Hopefully I can get to test drive it when they demo it in this area...that was one of the offers made!

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
What is interesting to me is that, not only MV, but other brands are watching this forum. I was contacted last year by a Motorcycle Development "Think Tank" and they actually came to my house to dig into my experience and opinions. Mrs. SS was there, and, as a new rider, her opinion was enthusiasticly sought. This Group then plopped down some cards with stats and said use these to build your dream bike...HP, Torque, Mileage, Price, Acceleration, Touring Capacity etc....

I was then sworn to secrecy about what Motorcycle it is. Hopefully I can get to test drive it when they demo it in this area...that was one of the offers made!
Excellent - and strangely enough, it was another brand!

Again, a pretty simple exercise to undertake. This is but one example of the power of connecting...no doubt you will be somewhat loyal and interested in the outcome of the project.

These same initiatives can be taken on a more broader scale - and it does not have to be about core product development...simple collaborative innovation around marketing language, look and feel, and process improvement are all potential areas for exploration.

As a pretty solid piece of research found 8 years ago - ask me for my opinion, and I am 17% more likely to buy from you again, give me feedback on my opinion, and I am 37% likely to re-purchase...implement my opinion and tell others about it, and I am 77% more likely to re-purchase...

Good story of yours...nice to see motorcycle businesses interested in female opinions!

BrutaleLuke

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM

I agree it would be nice, most companies that know how to market themselves have an online presence. It's safe to say MV's problems are not so much product related and mostly due to piss poor marketing, so It's hardly surprising..
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 PM

Dealing with matters of brand and community up on this side of the planet, I not only support Luke's comments, but also add that communities like this are where the brand really comes to life (some will tell you it's where a brand is truly owned, by the advocates).

For a brand like MV (who's contact point with most members of the public is via existing owners - they see us riding or our bikes when parked up), we're the influencers who dictate a large part of the first impressions/continued brand experience for many prospective buyers (whilst also being prospects ourselves).

If we all look old/young/scruffy/rich/skilled/unskilled, that dictates the view of who MV's are owned by, setting out the agenda for who sees the brand as aspirational. This far outweighs the power of influence that any advertising agency or dealership might hope to hold. Likewise, if we all rave positively and passionately about the brand and the people we encounter from it, we're a very potent sales tool (and we don't need paying). After all, who wouldn't want to be part of something that creates such a passion in people? Alternatively, If we all trash the brand, we'll kill it dead for many (and death can be a permanent thing).

To expand on the power of an owner community's influence, it's worth keeping in mind that a scary proportion of people would rather trust the words and recommendations of a complete stranger writing on an internet forum/review than they would the brand's own advertising or indeed the press... the public stranger probably has both experience and a neutral agenda, the brand/press are seen by most to be tainted by selfish, sales or financial agendas. Years of bad advertising and poor marketing have turned us all off to the traditional channels, unless the brand itself is wholesome, authentic and considered credible by those who've already experienced it.

I know from other forums that manufacturers/importers/product managers do lurk, I think we all find it such a shame/waste that they don't participate.

In scenarios outside of the motorcycle industry I've found that many brand managers either haven't thought of joining into the brand community because they're genuinely unaware (and shouldn't be working there in that case), or if aware they are aware they fear that opening up public channels like might bring about a barrage of customer contact which they can't manage. The key isn't to do it as 'MV Agusta', it's to do it as Mr XX XXX from MV, who's a fellow motorcycle enthusiast and a member of this brand's community. Then, simply start to participate. We'll all welcome a fellow human, and talk to them like one, rather than as a faceless corporate entity.

Great discussion this one
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 AM

Companies definitely read the forums.

In the case of my previous car the manufacturer and dealers read the forums..... alas it was only to find out who had modded/tracked their car so they could deny warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode