MV Agusta Forum banner

Internal Hate

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ccapo0 
#1 ·
Wanted to bring up a topic I saw on this forum about internal hate that stems from the 2010 model being cheaper.
I currently own a 07 Ducati 1098 (later today adding 05 MV F4) & when Ducati made the price of the 1098 lower, many of the older owners got salty and treated us as 'lower'. They claimed we had a japanese Ducati...now I'll admit Ducati saved weight on this bike but the fairing quality is poor (molding marks weren't sanded flar) as is the paint in places, the orange peel paint on the tanks & expanding tanks requiring recalls.
:shitfan: (ya, they took away the Dzus fasteners but we got brembo mono-blocks :yo:).

I saw a thread here where a gentlemen said he was being picked on because of his cheaper 2010 version of the F4.
Is any of that true & what is the reasoning? I know first-hand I saw a little of that on the Duc forums. Not saying if I had an 09 I wouldn't be a little pissed i paid 24 instead of 18.

#2 ·
While I see what you are saying and your point. I own an 09 and while I the price drops that the 09 models have faced to get rid of old stock did gain my attention enough to comment on it.....it doesn't concern me too much as I was happy to pay the price I did, otherwise wouldnt have bought it at all. In comparison to the 2010 model, the price still doesn't worry me as the many differences, such as smaller capacity, not Tamburini designed, Harlet Davidson owned, Chinese built parts, and what some have said a lower build quality.....to me all justifies a lower price.
At the end of the day, making MV's more affordable may keep the company in business for the long term which is a great thing. Having new limited editions for those who want more exclusive ownership or higher quality at the upper end $$$ may be the answer.

#3 ·
I wouldn't call it hate but I would say that when you are dealing with these types of bikes you tend to deal with folks who are more picky, pay more attention to detail, and want the best quality available for their hard earned $$$.

When you have corners cut that are so obvious, such as fairing quality, it's hard to justify spending the cash. For example: MY bike is an '05 S model and it still looks new after a good bath. I've seen some bikes a year or two old and they look like 10 year old bikes. Maybe they've been in the Sun too long. That is the difference folks are talking about. It's one of those things that the eye sees but the mouth can't really put into words.

My biggest peeve with the 2010 MV was the rear suspension unit being noticeably cheaper going back to the preload collars. To me that's just real 1997-ish.

But overall, I like the 2010 MV and it's really impressed with it's stellar track reviews.

One of the things I've learned in life is that a lot of what gets people excited is all marketing hype. I'm planning on renting a track in the near future and inviting riders of different skill levels (some AMA top 15 riders) to do our own comparo of a bike from the 90's Era, my 2005 MV-S, and a new bike from 2009 onward. My theory is that the changes are incremental at best and are not noticeable for mere mortals. I plan to prove this theory scientifically.

At the end of the day, I say just get what looks nice and enjoy it until you get tired of looking at it. For me, I'm finding that I don't enjoy looking at any of the newer bikes and prefer the older styling of bikes from '97-2003. The stumpy new tail sections and tiny windscreens just blow my lid these days. But that's just me. But they're all fast and far beyond most of our abilities (cliche' I know but it's true).

#4 ·
Turbo, you make me laugh. I had a serious accident in 05 and didn't get back on until last year (since added 2 bikes). When I discussed getting back on I was unable to look at any bikes that were later than 04-05 because the japanese version of undertail exhaust is ugly & nothing more than a marketing ploy to try and steer people away from Italian bikes. I will say that the 06 R6 did interest me but I knew I'd be tired of the low power in 2 months so a 600 was out of question. I just dont think they make pretty bikes anymore. The quality of the fairings is average at best. There is too much electronics taking over the industry. If I make a mistake, I need to pay for it, not have electronics watching my ass. I do welcome the airbag for bikes though. The only thing I wish my 05 MV had was the radial brakes and master cylinder but that is easily enough added with the right budget and would be higher quality than any OEM stuff anyways.

#5 ·
The only thing I wish my 05 MV had was the radial brakes and master cylinder but that is easily enough added with the right budget and would be higher quality than any OEM stuff anyways.
Throw some EBC-HH pads on your MV and you'll be happy. That's what I did and I'm adequately satisfied.

Radial brakes and master is nice but will only be useful to Semi-Pros to pro level. The rest of us should just squeeze a little harder. lol :f4:

I know my views are largely controversial in a few areas but a lot of the 'racer bling' that comes standard on most bikes these days are designed for us to live vicariously through our favorite racers.

I'm all for safety so electronics on a street bike are pretty cool especially for noobs that MUST have a liter bike or the new BMW. But, my views are that everyone should be realistic if they are making purchases based on laptimes solely.

I'll elaborate more but my wife and I are headed to Vermont now. I'll post again later. Cheers!

#7 ·
What are you really buying?

HMMMMM.... intriguing question... what are you actually buying... After putting together several bikes now, it seems that the answer is a powerplant, electronics, and a chassis/basis-geometry, and the stock parts you want to keep or don't end up replacing out of necessity.... This answer comes from having boxes and boxes of take-offs in a storage locker from several different bikes.....

Most everything else on a stock bike is tempting to go aftermarket:

- Battery - one of the first things to replace... lighter/more reliable...
- Front Suspension - at a minimum valves/springs, perhaps a cartridge
- Rear Suspension - springs, at least, but maybe go Ohlins...
- Wheels - Carbon, after suspension best money you can spend
- EXHAUST - at a minimum, race headers and cat-eliminator
- Rearsets - almost always replaced
- Body - if you're not keen on the finish go Carbon from Opp Racing or somebody.... You can also always have custom paint, finish, vinyl done...
- Brakes - most are prime for my purposes but pads at a minimum, perhaps lighter or lightened rotors and maybe a Brembo master if I'm feeling saucy
- Chain/Drive - 520 conversion
- Air filter - Replaced with high-flow
- Damper - 50/50 some stay some go...
- Seat - 50/50 again...
- Mirrors - chucked for CRGs
- Plate Holder - Chucked for aftermarket
- Signals - 50/50 replace with smaller/LED

But it's a pendulum, because if you do all that stuff, then you'll get "acceptance" from the Older-Model Guys "Nice Job", "Wow, trick" etc. But then you're going to get the -- "That's a waste of a race platform" guys, so you go and race it with obvious consequences.... And then they're putting you down because you race EXPENSIVE equipment... It's kinda a no-win, somebody's always going to have some "reason" for not liking what you have because it's different from what they have... Maybe better/maybe worse, just different....

Just build your ride however you like and spend your money as you see fit, and who cares what anybody else thinks...

And if you fit one of the new MVs with the accoutrements listed above, that'd be one seriously badass machine.

#14 ·
jice,
You are a man after my own heart.
I get a bike and immediately, its rear sets, new brake pads, fender eliminator, check with suspension guys to see how close the stock springs are to my own weight. And all of that gets replaced. If I can setup the stock stuff good enough; it is time to shop for wheels, if not it is time to give Ohlins a ring for the shock and respring the front forks, ignoring valving for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.