MV Agusta Forum banner

Quality bike painters,

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  silentservice703 
#1 ·
Hi does anyone have any links or phone # of some very good bike painters hear in the USA, I have extra air box and lower fairing that I want to get resprayed, also I have a corse carbon ducati tank that I need to painted also I want very good quality if any one has a link or can help with a name please let me no thanks for your time,

#2 ·
All you need to do is check around where you live amongst body shops. What you want done is pretty straight forward and any good man with a gun can do it. It's not all that hard and the work is in the prepping.

#3 ·
I will highly recommend the fine people at Magnum Collision Repair....ask for Mike (the owner) and tell him Ed with the MV sent you.....seriously, they do absolutely first rate work.

www,magnumcollision.com

770-427-4590

These are the guys that fix the body damage on all the Ferraris. Lambos, Astons and such in the Atlanta area. And Mike is a vintage bike aficionado...

Not cheap, but it will look like it just left the factory when they finish.

#6 ·
Yup, anyone who's good will be happy to show you stuff they have done for bikers and you can make your own mind up.

#9 ·
Without it the paint will chip off. Anytime you paint plastic or bike parts in general, you need to add flex to the paint and clearcoat. Not needed for the tank if its steel or aluminum, but every other plastic part needs it.

#10 · (Edited)
Sorry, but I disagree. Flex addittive is really only used for those parts that get VERY flexed in installation or use. Parts like bumper covers. All rigid plastics: fenders, covers, body panels, etc. do not need flex additive.

Yes, I have painted a few projects:

Land vehicle Vehicle Headlamp Automotive lighting Fuel tank

Vehicle Automotive exhaust Car Exhaust system Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle fairing

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part

There is NO flex additive in any of this paint. Most modern paints now use hardener only in the top-coat. Underlying color coats and intermediate clear coats do not use hardener. When a quality paint is used and applied properly, it is damn near bullet (and fuel) proof. Proper paint for the proper application is key.

(For the record: I am not a proffesional, but I do play one on TV...and, yes, I do know the Kawasaki on the tank should have been angled down toward the front to match the line better...live, do something, and learn....)

#12 ·
I'd be happy to provide!

#13 ·
I've painted alot of "plastic" parts and never used any flex additive. Never had a problem either. You have to use an adhesion promoter on plastic though. The flex stuff is intended for bumpers and the like.

SS- Why didn't you angle the Kawasucki down toward the front on the tank?

#16 ·
The short answer is because I didn't think it through:wtf:....the long answer involves ACL repalcement surgery, making the mask in my living room vice using a mock up, not taping it out then sitting it on the bike to see...etc./ etc., etc....:smoking:

#14 ·
A friends GSXR was custom painted by a body shop a while back that said the same thing to me, lets just say they ended up repainting his entire bike (less the tank) for free when it started cracking and chipping. If you are never going to remove the fairings off the bike, you dont need flex added, but if you are going to be removing them on a normal basis for maintenance, I suggest adding flex to the paint and clear coat. This is 5 years of body shop experiance talking, not just some bike projects.

#18 ·
That simply means the wrong product was used for the job. Like using Fish-eye additive as a solution to poor prep practices.

#15 ·
Lee, adhesion promoter is great for bare plastic parts, not so great for parts that are already painted. Not trying to convince anyone here, dont really care what you do, just letting you know from personal experiance working in a body shop. Your bikes factory paint even has flex additive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.