MV Agusta Forum banner

Claudio Castiglioni Purchase of MV Agusta Imminent

5K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  MikeF4Black 
#1 ·
FYI...

Expected to be closed within hours, Harley-Davidson is on the verge of selling MV Agusta to Claudio Castiglioni. Castiglioni was able to leverage the purchase of MV Agusta by using the funds that would have been generated by his stock buy-out, which is rumored to be between €20 – €30 million. For months now Castiglioni has been positioning himself with former Ducati Motor Holdings CEO Federico Minoli, the man behind the turnaround of Ducati and its transition to a lifestyle oriented brand. The pair are now on the verge of closing their acquisition.
With Castiglioni’s stock swap, no money it seems will actually be changing hands between the Italian and Harley-Davidson in order to complete the transaction. It’s speculated that the threats of lawsuits pertaining to Castiglioni’s minor shareholder position made outside buyers to MV Agusta less appealing to Harley-Davidson, who was looking for the cleanest exit possible from holding MV Agusta as a subsidiary.
MV Agusta has had a tumultuous past under Castiglioni’s influence, which may be his reason for including Minoli in the company’s future operations. Harley-Davidson it seems is the big loser in the deal, as the company has essentially invested a considerable amount of capital into turning around MV Agusta, and gotten nothing in exchange for it.
Look for an official statement on MV Agusta’s acquisition later today.
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/claudio-castiglioni-purchase-mv-agusta-imminent/

#5 ·
Bollox...............Thats a real shame, here we go down the pan again.:shitfan:

#6 ·
Really? This will be not be the first time he's repurchased the company for a lot less than he paid. Where are the Protn-designed bikes? The HD-designed bikes? Neither of those other two owners added anything but money, though that was a big help. No Castiglioni? No MV. No Brutale, no F4, no nothing. And if you think about it, maybe no Ducati and no WSBK, either.

Before CaGiVa (Castiglioni) came in to save the operation, there were no 4-valvers, no water-cooled Ducs. And sales that were in the toilet. Without Castiglioni, Ducati probably would have gone the way of BSA and Norton. And with no Ducatis in WSBK, we sure wouldn't have had the epic twin vs four battles and none of the crowds, either. WSBK would probably be as popular as speedway racing or flat track.

I'll take Castiglioni and his vision any day. HD ownership or Malaysian bean counters running the joint is like a $25,000 pig leaking oil all over the driveway.

#11 ·
Yep, Castiglioni has the vision, he just seems to drive evrything into the ground for others to bail out-see copy/paste below

Despite its success, Ducati found itself in dire financial straits in 1995. It had been drained by unsuccessful attempts by other companies that belonged to the Castiglioni Group. Ducati was then absorbed by Texas Pacific Group. This was a blessing in disguise. Ducati now had a new group of international managers and good financial backing. The launch of the ST family enabled Ducati to enter the Sport Touring market. New management and old engineers teamed up to create record profits and sales.

#25 ·
wow if you look straight at the facs he did well for himsell, selling companies for millions and buying them back for nothing.
But there must be a reason for that!
We also know that the man is a true playboy and didn't do well the last couple of years with financials in the mv agusta company so say it moderate, but he is pasioned about mv agusta.
Next to that I thougt that the true man is tamburini who has stepted out due to HD or CC?

Well we just wait and see I didn't see much changes under the HD supervision other then clearing the debs and facelifting the new 2010 to compete with the other 1000cc japanese,bmw bikes.
Will CC go throught this way or will he go the other way creating special limited editions for lots of money and selling none :D

You will always hit a sore bone but the most important thing is that mv agusta stays.

#27 ·
My money is on a repeat performance of the last two times he owned MV, the difference this time is he will sell the company to the Chinese when he gets in the s*^t

#29 ·
So do I ! The guy just seems to have a crystal ball, Both Proton and HD bailed and played right into his hands, unless it's his connections:naughty:

#32 ·
I'm thinking about selling my 06 910s and waiting for a new Tambu "BRUTE". Could be swwwweeeettt!!!

Also, are we all so dump to think the numbers we are told are the Complete story and $$. Why/how could any company or anyone do what HD supposedly has done? MILLIONS.

#36 ·
#40 ·
From what I've been reading, I think that by the time CC is ready to sell, China's economy will have become very debt top heavy....they are rapidly travelling that road now...and they won't have the purchasing power, or free cash, they have today.

#41 · (Edited)
China hold ALOT of US Treasury bonds. The US borrows the money from China to purchase Chinese made goods (for exports). China will continue to grow until such time that the US increases interest rates to 5-7% which will wipe out the US economy. It's a catch 22 situation.

Back to CC selling to China. What if China doesn't want to buy MV or for the price CC wants to sell, then MV will be dead. No more new models. CC needs to make the new F4/B4 a sales success else its doom. I see alot of Japanese owners going to BMW on the road due to the close pricing of the BMW to the Japanese bikes.

#44 ·
Yup, and welcome back MF4B........

#50 ·
Thanks! I welcome CC's return to MV ownership, hope he doesn't run it into the ground (it's difficult enough for an elite brand to survive in the current market without dilutiing it's core values), and really have to question HD's business sense.

And Kostas, what you're saying is all Greek to me (joke...). What I do understand is that as a Dutch taxpayer I am probably going to have to contribute a fair amount to the saving of the Greek economy. I don't really welcome that.

Oh, and I went to Cyprus and to Crete a few times, long ago. Liked it. Seemed like paradise to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.