Daily hack or polished trinket - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Daily hack or polished trinket

So, it's a little after 6pm, I'm in the studio and the roads look wet outside. I don't mind though, I'm about to have a nice ride home as my F4's in the garage.

Yeah she'll get dirty, and the seat might pickup some water marks, but she'll clean up fine in no time. Commuting racks up the mileage too, but I don't care, my bikes are there to be ridden. Besides, nothing slices through traffic like a skinny F4 and a rider on a mission.

So, I'm curious, am I an oddity, using the bike as an almost daily rider, or do lots of others feel the same way? Alternatively, are you the opposite, "it's an item to be cherished and kept for best, ridden on special occasions only, you're a heathen if you don't"?

C'mon, share with the group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
It's nice to hear that you use the F4 a lot. As I mentioned on the other recent thread you started abut touring Gavin, I use my Ducati far more than the MV. I love riding the F4, but it is really a fair weather toy for me, far more involving than the Duke and a total hoot to ride. Another thing is I like to take my girlfriend on the pillion which as my F4 is monoposto means for me, two up rides are Ducati only events.

The Evo III 750 I had previously was 1 + 1 but my then wife (an experienced pillion rider) went on the back just once and said she never wanted to go on it again! I didn't go that fast or crazy honest! So when I bought the 1000 I decided to go for the single seat version.

So in summary the Duke is the girl next door whereas the F4 is the supermodel you always dreamed of taking out. Just my take on events of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
All my bikes have seen the rain, the F4750 has seen much more than the others combined. My policy: They aren't made of brown sugar. You don't really have too much of an option in New Zealand. Aotearoa is the Maori word given to NZ. It translates to ao = cloud, tea = white and roa = long, and it is therefore usually glossed as "the land of the long white cloud".
Certain times of the year we will literally have four seasons in one day.
I also believe you can learn quite a bit from riding in the rain.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to La Case
I ride my Brutale as often as I can, which normally means every day . The state of the weather, and lack of mirrors , is not a reason not to ride, it is merely a good opportunity to get to know your bike and improve your riding. I bought the bike in June last year (with less than 1000 miles on the clock) and am just sorting out dates to take it to XBikes for a 9000 mile service. I also clocked 6000 miles on my Buell in the same time period. Both bikes have been to France on a couple of occasions, all over the UK and a few track days over the last 12 months. I never use my bikes for commuting to work.

For me bikes are made for riding.

MV Agusta Brutale 910R (07)
Buell XB12X (06)
Honda NC24 (87)
KTM SM 690 Prestige (07) - Sold

Last edited by La Case; 08-04-2010 at 03:35 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM

I commute daily on mine, unless it's pissing rain when I actually leave in the morning. As I live in las Vegas, that happens but once or thrice a year.
In two years I've put about 16k miles on it, but that's because my commute is just 12 miles round trip.

2006 910S
2019 BMW S1kR
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
My bike is a rider

....but I can't use it for commuting, as the trip is only 10 feet down the hall

...except the weeks when I am on the road, and that involves carrying too much stuff, so car it has to be.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Established Member

Ride mine whenever i can , commute to work and just for pleasure, 2250 miles in 3 months and loving it .
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
I've been riding bikes for some 30 years, and for the first 6 years I only had a 1968 Triumph T500C.. It wasn’t much fun riding in the snow to work wearing some old scanky wax Belstaff combo.

Nowadays if there’s a possibility of rain and we’re going out on a local ride, I’ll take my KTM, as it is easy to clean off afterwards.

If no rain is forecast I take my BMW or Ducati (F4 is in bits at my friend’s house).

I can’t be asked spending a day cleaning the bike, even though it’s pleasurable once you’ve got your bike looking like new again.

I only ride my bikes nowadays for strictly pleasure, or if I’m going somewhere that is a nightmare to park.

Respect if you ride your bike on a daily bases, and I would too if I lived somewhere hot and dry, but for me the UK has a non friendly biking climate, unless your name is Donald Duck.

Am I on my own here ? ( approx 3200 miles covered this year so far )

EMAIL :

Last edited by JDS; 08-04-2010 at 02:17 PM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:22 PM

A piece of jewelery for me I'm afraid. I dont like wet and do not own any adverse weather clothing.

I hate intense cleaning, so I would prefer to keep it clean & dry.

A

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends ?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:38 PM

With you!

I ride every day, and today I made the mistake of taking the cursed automobile. Comming up on 3000mi and I think I bought her in April? Yes I agree, bikes are meant to be ridden, plus in the long run you are safer riding every day than being a weekend rider. Your senses and reflexes are finer tuned, your reaction time is quicker, plus you body hardens in the right places, and you experience less riding fatigue.

Fortunately I have a locker at work where I keep my daily garb and utility belt. I just wear my gun and I'm off.

I also find that bikes that are ridden daily seem to be happier, its like my wife, if I don;t ride her daily she gets all cranky and upset. The motorcycle has a spirit of its own, within the infintie spaces of the atomic lattice lies the metals heart and soul, an infinite array of desires to be ridden and used. Alas on days that I do not ride I feel her whining like a dog in a cage waiting to be set free.

I am rambling...

Ride Ride Ride, the more we ride the more we are seen and the more people who hate us will have to accept us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13_uk View Post
So, it's a little after 6pm, I'm in the studio and the roads look wet outside. I don't mind though, I'm about to have a nice ride home as my F4's in the garage.

Yeah she'll get dirty, and the seat might pickup some water marks, but she'll clean up fine in no time. Commuting racks up the mileage too, but I don't care, my bikes are there to be ridden. Besides, nothing slices through traffic like a skinny F4 and a rider on a mission.

So, I'm curious, am I an oddity, using the bike as an almost daily rider, or do lots of others feel the same way? Alternatively, are you the opposite, "it's an item to be cherished and kept for best, ridden on special occasions only, you're a heathen if you don't"?

C'mon, share with the group.

James M.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode