Bent Rim: Replace or Repair? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Bent Rim: Replace or Repair?

I took a set of Brembo Ultralight rims to my local shop to have a set of tires mounted. In the process, they bent the front rim. They want to repair the rim, I would rather replace it. My concern is that the structual integrity of the rim will be compromised in the repair.

Would you accept the repair or demand a replacement?

Am I asking too much of the dealership to replace the rim?

Last edited by G.Rand; 07-25-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Depends on how badly bent and who is doing the repair....a very minor bend, and a qualified and knowledgeable repair service would be acceptable to me.

And just how did they bend it? must have been a nit-wit running the tire machine....or he just had no idea how soft those light weight wheels are.

I think you are within your rights to request a new wheel, but the dealer is going to resist, as he will have to replace a hell of a lot of tires to make up the cost....hell, if he is struggling as much as some dealers are now he may not even have the money to buy the new wheel!!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Established Member

Yep, it sucks

Seems to be the old saying, if ya want something done right, do it yourself.

My call would be buy a new rim, just for peace of mind
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Ed. The damage to the front rim certainly isn't beyond repair. I'm concerned that the repair process will involve a lot of heat and may alter the strength/composition of the rim in that area. I am also aware that they may remove some metal from the rim in an attempt to "even up" some areas during the repair --- that doesn't sit well with me. I've seen videos on YouTube of guys with blowtorches and hammers fixing rims... how am I to know that one of these guys isn't repairing my rim? And what will the black finish look like after all this work? The bottom line is that wheel repairs do not seem to be regulated or governed by anyone, and that seems somewhat reckless to me, especially for motorcycles that depend on just 2 wheels. I'm no engineer, but I am aware of metal fatigue and compromises made to metal objects when they are bent back into position, and when the front wheel is 50% of my contact to the road I'm not willing to take unneccessary risks when I don't have to.

I'm more pissed that the shop inspected the rim when I handed it to them and created an inspection report detailing every small nick on the rim (at my insistence) ..... and the rim certainly wasn't bent, or we would have noted it on the inspection report ... and after the work they handed the rim back to me in a noticeably bent condition and insisted that they didn't do it. I've got an inspection report that declares otherwise. Seems kind of hard to argue with that one.

I Googled this business to see what others have said about their experience with this dealership, and the Better Business Bureau has graded them with an "F" -- they have 12 unanswered complaints against them. The consumer grading sites like Yelp! and City Search have terrible reports and stories .... I wish I would've checked this dealership out a bit more before going to them.

So here are a few pics..... the bent rim is obvious, but I've also thrown in some pics of scratches to the front rim and also scratches to the rear rim... these guys must have a gorilla working the tire machine ...can the scratches be fixed easily? And no, I'm not interested in a "Sharpie" ink-pen repair ....

TIA,
Gregg
Attached Images

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:33 AM

I'd say demand a replacement.
And maybe post the name of these clowns so we don't patronize them with more business.

Mike

2008 Brutale 910s
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:48 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
What a bunch of friggin' muppets.
Truth is that that's repairable but I wouldn't be happy with that, and I'm sure that you wouldn't be either.
My sympathy goes out to you, there is obviously a training issue at this dealer. And I strongly suspect that that's not all.
They're going to need a lawyer.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 AM

I had a bigger bend than that repaired.Hit a great pot hole at speed!! Front Marchesini-read Bembo. Job was repaired and painted 100%.Talk too several local bike shops to gain a consensus on who they recommend in your area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..another year down!!,just two to go...
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_castle View Post
What a bunch of friggin' muppets.
Truth is that that's repairable but I wouldn't be happy with that, and I'm sure that you wouldn't be either.
My sympathy goes out to you, there is obviously a training issue at this dealer. And I strongly suspect that that's not all.
They're going to need a lawyer.
+100

Dave's right - that's simply unacceptable...If they can't replace the Rim....get them to make it up in tyres :-)

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 AM

They're gunna buck & squeal if you ask them to replace the rim .
But, how bout you give them the option to professionally repair it first & if its not up to your standard or can notice the repair then insist on a new rim??
i would think heat would anneal the alloy & render it too soft, most use a type of roller to do the job properly.

I'm glad to hear your tyre fitters are as bad as ours over here, i always change my tyres my self for that reason, if I mark 'em then it's my butt that gets kicked
Good Luck!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM

Unfortunately, for many people who work in bike shops it's just a job a do the work with little emphasis on quality or pride of workmanship where as the owners of classic marques such as MVs consider their bike a passion. It's the world we live in.

Rims buckle just from everyday use and you'd be surprised just how much without having any untoward effect on riding. Having said that yours looks a lot worse than everyday riding damage.

While the bike shop wants to repair rather than replace (probably due to the cost) and you'd much rather replace than repair perhaps a compromise can be found such as you sourcing a rim which you would be happy with and getting the bike shop to pay for it. Obviously the rim would be either second hand or nos and substantially less than a new rim from the dealer.

You may also be able to use some leverage by either contacting a local authority which provides the shop with the authority to sell, operate a workshop, provide roadworthy certificates etc. There is an automotive ombudsman or similar in Victoria, Australia and just mentioning them can get the desired result.

anyhow .. good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode