The saddest story you will read this year....... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

The saddest story you will read this year.......

I think the title say's it all really.

For all of my Sydney bretheren, you would be well aware of the brilliant day that was recently arranged by the great BrutaleLuke. Some of you may have read on the follow up threads that I managed to actually come off on that fateful day.

Luckily for me, I was not hurt. I actually came off at what was a relatively normal speed, through a right hander , approaching Wollombi. I simply had the wrong line through a corner that had a completely shithouse road surface. This caused me to go a little wide and 'touch' the outer shoulder of the road. For those of you who know the road, it's a little 'rough' on the edge of the road too, with a smattering, (ok, quite a lot) of gravel.

Apparently the front tyres do not like this stuff too much. Mine decided to go on strike right at that point and go off for a smoke and a beer somewhere, leaving me to kind of, umm, fall off.

After picking myself up (with the great assistance of some anonymous riders..... isn't this a great community we all belong too?), I looked at the bike and thought "that's actually not too bad".

It's worth noting that the bike had crash protection, so the frame and tank didn't actually come into contact with the road surface. There was some gravel that flicked up on to the tank and frame causing some scratches.
My mate & John M stopped by for a chat (AKA to see if I was alright) and soon after we were off to Wolombi.

To cut a long story short(er), I rode for another 200+ klm's on the bike from that point to the drop off at Motorcycle Weaponry, where she was to be assessed for the insurance claim.

At this point, I'll say that other than a few scratches, the loss of the headlight glass and an extremely mild push of the radiator to the left by no more than a few millimeters, the bike appeared to me to have only suffered cosmetic damage.

Well, the last couple of weeks have been excruitiating to wait for the verdict from the insurance company.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................

Apparently it's going to cost $15,500 to fix !!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE FU#K?!!!

The bloody thing is scratched (ok, maybe a bit more, but really?)!!!

It would appear that either I have no idea at all of what it takes to repair a bike (which is extremely possible) or they just decided to replace everything on the bike in the quote, guaranteeing a less than desireable outcome.

Naturally if you live in insurance world, this equates to a 'write off'.

Are you crying yet? I am. I have been for the last few days.

So, here I am. I've just fallen in love & she's now gone to bike heaven.

So, the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter how good your insurance policy is, just DO NOT drop the MV. It'll probably be written off, rather than replaced, or repaired.

The photo's are of the damage to the bike immediately after the lay down. That's a 'write off' you're looking at.

No wonder our insurance premiums are sky high.
Attached Images

MS4RS
910R
CB600F

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:35 AM
King of Carbon

Send a message via Skype™ to DesignCorse
Unhappy Wow

Really sorry to here dan, feel for you mate especially after you done all the mods to it, she looked fantastic.

Good to hear you werent hurt in the accident.

How could they right off the bike with the minor damage from the looks of the images

Regards

Al

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

T: +44 (0) 1582 840 024

Last edited by DesignCorse; 07-08-2010 at 06:38 AM.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 AM

Donīt sound right to me.
Is there nothing you can do to maybe do a deal with the insurance company? Assuming insurance works the same there as in U.K.
Anyway, real sorry and feeling for you.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 AM

Sorry to hear about the recent off, but if the frame is scratched or even slightly bent then yes $15k or written off sounds normal.

If the swing arm is scratched on damage it will cost the insurance company $15k for a brand new one not including labour!! Magnesium swing arm is about double the cost!

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 AM
King of Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime View Post
Sorry to hear about the recent off, but if the frame is scratched or even slightly bent then yes $15k or written off sounds normal.

If the swing arm is scratched on damage it will cost the insurance company $15k for a brand new one not including labour!! Magnesium swing arm is about double the cost!
I can understand if the frame is Scratched or bent but

Why is the Magesium Swingarm so expensive down Under?

We can offer them @ 3,469.49 AUD

Regards

Al

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignCorse View Post

Everything is expensive in Australia. The standard swingarm is $15k and a mag swingarm was about $26k go figure!!

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:58 AM
King of Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime View Post
Everything is expensive in Australia. The standard swingarm is $15k and a mag swingarm was about $26k go figure!!
That is shocking $26K

Regards

Al

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignCorse View Post

Australia is the land of the 'profitable companies'. Our pricing here is extremely high vs the rest of the world. I can tell you all about that stuff.

I'm not surprised that scratches see it written off. If my bike got scratched i'd want every part replaced.

I was there on the ride and saw your bike, i thought it looked not to bad, the main this was you were ok. You can always get another bike but you can't get another 'you'.

Those roads were pretty bumpy but i must have missed some of the super bad stuff as a few of the guys were talking about a pothole that gave them a tank slapper
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Groper View Post
Those roads were pretty bumpy but i must have missed some of the super bad stuff as a few of the guys were talking about a pothole that gave them a tank slapper
Glad to hear that it wasn't just me then !

MS4RS
910R
CB600F

Last edited by dan_t; 07-08-2010 at 07:11 AM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_t View Post
I think the title say's it all really.

Apparently it's going to cost $15,500 to fix !!!!!!!!!

Naturally if you live in insurance world, this equates to a 'write off'.

Are you crying yet? I am. I have been for the last few days.

So, here I am. I've just fallen in love & she's now gone to bike heaven.

So, the moral of the story is, it doesn't matter how good your insurance policy is, just DO NOT drop the MV. It'll probably be written off, rather than replaced, or repaired.

The photo's are of the damage to the bike immediately after the lay down. That's a 'write off' you're looking at.

No wonder our insurance premiums are sky high.
Dont |Cry

you should be celibrating and at the front of the queue to buy the bike back from the insurance company

you get a cash settlement

and then also buy the bike back for pennies

you then buy a F4

and own both brutale & F4

come on, get into gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode