Theft protection: How would you secure your bike? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Theft protection: How would you secure your bike?

Would you like to share how you would secure your bike?

I guess everyone has a different situation to deal with.
Someone living in the countryside with a garage will swet less than someone living in a Sin City and having to leave the bike on road.
And everyone else is found somewhere between.

An idea:
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Last edited by xeorex; 07-08-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:14 AM

dont assume that!!,out in the country the neighbours tend to be out of ear shot and sight. my too nearest neighbours,and myself have all been hit at different times,needless to say we all have installed full security since.Household insurance doesnt cover unreg. dirt bikes over 100cc so fortunately i had the harley proof chains and the kryptonite floor bolt,they just took every TV in the house instead !!..the Duc was insured but kept in a box,with fliptop lid, not for security reasons,but away from kids on errant motocross bikes riding in and out of my garage when i m not at home!!...hj

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..another year down!!,just two to go...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeamv View Post
harley proof chains and the kryptonite floor bolt
How do you secure the bike with the chain?
Through the tire? Through the frame?

To the ground, this looks safe:
http://www.longstart.co.uk/home.html

Last edited by xeorex; 07-08-2010 at 03:34 AM.
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:57 AM

The best defense are things which will deter thieves from entering your property.

2 simple things to do this.

Install motion detector flood lights. Baddies hate lights because they can be seen/identified. They will abandon your property if they are lit up like a Christmas tree.

Second is to install CCTV and put up CCTV signs on your property. You could put up CCTV signs without actually installing a system, baddies won't know the difference.

Both options are very cheap, easy to install and probably will have the greatest impact.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

A well lit area to place the bike is good as you can see them, they can't see you, when they opperate in the night.

I went to the police station to get some advice.
They spoke about SelectaDNA.
It seems to be a good deterrent as well if I believe them.

They may not be caught but if they do they can't say they weren't there. Kind of make their carrier shorter or at least make it more difficult for them to keep a criminal record clear.
Funny how more they get caught more the police go to their door just out of interest when anything happens in the area.
Ok, sometimes they just built-up records before acting.

A spray can be fitted over doors. They will leave the premises with a big flag on them.

Last edited by xeorex; 07-08-2010 at 05:17 AM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 AM
Established Member

Got a kryptonite brakedisc lock and I always put the bikes on the steering lock.

Lucky enough that I have a garage where both my MV beauties are put in.

Then ofcourse I have a baseball bat on the standy, just in case someone even wants to touch my bike

MV Agusta F4S EVO3
MV Agusta SPR (crashed
)
MV Agusta 350 Ipotesi
MV Agusta F4 1000 S (sold)
Suzuki GSX R 1000 (sold)
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslofstra View Post
Got a kryptonite brakedisc lock and I always put the bikes on the steering lock.
Got one thing to say about this system.
2 men at each wheel, 1 pole through each wheel, lift and walk the bike into a van. 20 sec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslofstra View Post
Then ofcourse I have a baseball bat on the standy, just in case someone even wants to touch my bike
I don't think baseball bat are effective enough when you are out.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Banned

When younger i used to be concerned with bike security, carry chains and locking devices around

but now, i say bollocks to it all

Ive fully comprehensive insurance and if they are going to steal it, then such is life

I dont advertise my bikes and have removed all photo's I used to keep on here; some photo album's on this forum are a open invitation to crooks, giving full layout of home, garage and bikes available. If you go deep into some posts, you will also know what forum members do for a living, what time they start work, what time they finish, what security they have or dont have etc

have a look for yourself

check members photo albums, then go into what threads they have started, if you really want to do some research, this forum is a good place to start.

think about it!

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F41NXS View Post
When younger i used to be concerned with bike security, carry chains and locking devices around

Ive fully comprehensive insurance and if they are going to steal it, then such is life

I dont advertise my bikes and have removed all photo's I used to keep on here; some photo album's on this forum are a open invitation to crooks, giving full layout of home, garage and bikes available. If you go deep into some posts, you will also know what forum members do for a living, what time they start work, what time they finish, what security they have or dont have etc

have a look for yourself

check members photo albums, then go into what threads they have started, if you really want to do some research, this forum is a good place to start.

think about it!
I think that's why it is so hard to speak about security.
There is a fine line between saying what you may have got and giving further information to thieves.
That is also why so many rely on a baseball bat knowing it scares nobody.
Comprehensive insurance? Which country are you in?

The idea though is to find out what works and what doesn't. Before, not after.
And you will then hopefully be better prepared than someone who doesn't discuss it at all.

Last edited by xeorex; 07-08-2010 at 05:38 AM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F41NXS View Post

I am the same. Full comp insurance, if it goes, it goes. I don't bother with car alarms or car tracking either. The insurance companies barely reduce the premium so to me it says that stuff doesn't work. Besides, if your car/bike got stolen, would you really want a thrashed vehicle back? I'd rather it be gone for good.

Good points on the other stuff. My experience is to be VERY paranoid when selling a bike. Soooo many dodgy people were after my MV. 50% wanted my home address or they would make some excuse on why they couldn't see it if i wanted to meet elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeorex View Post
I went to the police station to get some advice.
They spoke about SelectaDNA.
It seems to be a good deterrent as well if I believe them.
That's all good but the aim is to prevent them from entering your property in the first place. For that, they need to know you have a sensor light, know you have CCTV, know you have some DNA spray thingo, know you have barking dogs etc. You need signage.

If they enter your property, flog your bike but get some spray on them. Who cares. Your bike is gone! It sounds like a crap way of preventing theft.

Even if your bike is bolted to the ground they might get the shits and scratch the hell out of it in which case you are up for an insurance claim anyway.

Deter them first. If that fails. Let them take the bike and hope it is never found. Claim on insurance and get a brand new bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode