Big km commuting bike of choice? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Big km commuting bike of choice?

It looks like my commute is going to be 100km/day (62 miles) with the purchase of a new house.

Currently i use a 2004 CBR1000 for commuting (40km/day at present) and with 36,000km on the clock it's smooth as silk. It's ok for my current short trip but my back won't hold up for the longer journey so i'll have to swap to something else.

For those who commute longer distances, how do you decide on the type of bike you buy, when to sell, how much to spend/lose?

One thought is to buy a brand new bike for AUD$10k like the Kawasaki ER6F, Z750, Versys etc, rack up 50,000km over 2yrs and sell for $5k or so then buy another one? Keeping a bike for more than 60,000kms seems to make it completely worthless and i don't want that.

Anyhoo, any experiences to help me manage it properly would be nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

I should add, my first choice for a commuter would be a BMW. However due to the high annual kms, the tear up on a BMW will be to large unless i decide to keep it for 100,000km+
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:09 AM

I've seen older BMW clocking over 300,000km with minimal issues. Honda CB250 courier bikes do ever more than 300,000km. These CB250 last forever.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:26 AM

100kms ? - Bloody Hell - where are you moving to ? Is the City Bus not a better option (think its approx $35 for 10 trips - 1 week) from Western Sydney to CBD.

On the bike side - I commuted from Pennant Hills to City every day for 3 years - started with Yamaha 650 (18,000kms) and never an issue, then went onto a Triumph Bonneville and Triumph Speed Triple - again very reliable and comfortable.

MV Agusta F4 (2013)
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:46 AM
My commute is a little less, around 50 miles, a mix of urban and country roads. I've used my Ducati ST4s in all weathers,but I have to admit if it's really bad in winter I opt for the car. I have used the F4 on hot sunny days but it's not a good option IMO, just a bit of fun on the ride home

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:03 AM

...know of a number of ST4S,with over 160 000k and have survived with little more than regular servicing and belt changes,Multitool is also up there as a fair commuter,A jappa of any sort will be a lot lighter on the wallet with running costs though ,A new Suzuki GSX1250 looks like a lot of bike at $12g. hj

..another year down!!,just two to go...
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M View Post
100kms ? - Bloody Hell - where are you moving to ?
On the bike side - I commuted from Pennant Hills to City every day for 3 years - started with Yamaha 650 (18,000kms) and never an issue, then went onto a Triumph Bonneville and Triumph Speed Triple - again very reliable and comfortable.
Just bought a house in Richmond and i work in North Ryde. Only takes 45mins via M2 and Old Windsor Rd. It takes me 40mins from Castle Hill to North Ryde which is only 20km because of lane splitting, traffic, lights slowing me down. I enjoy commuting on a bike so whilst taking a bus is cheaper, it'd also take twice as long

I like the Street Triples but one with 50,000kms+? I dunno, i don't know enough about them nor have i seen any around with super high kms.

I did consider a 250 but if i get into a sticky spot i generally hit the gas to escape and a 250 doesn't give you that option and their brakes are generally shyte. It'd have to be 600cc+ bike.

Maybeamv - I'll read up on the multi's. I know a few ex-owners and they were raving about how good they were. Last time i checked the pricing for the newly released multi's was close to AUD$25k which i thought was insane. I'd have to grab a used one for sure.
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 AM

New Site Garage
Hiya Groper, I use my Brutale for commuting...but I'm at 50% of your kms.

Otherwise, Honda Hornet 900...bullet proof, handles extemely well, very comfy ride and will simply go and go....great value for money on second bike.

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Hi Glenn,

I reckon a BMW boxer of some sort is the perfect bike for the job. Perhaps a GS.
Will go forever, reasonably upright position - bum up chin down in traffic 1h each way in all weathers isn't my idea of fun -, small windscreen for rain protection, enough torque and power to escape sticky situations, heated grips, top case or tank bag for your work gear/briefcase/etag...good mirrors :-)
M

Now riding KTM 1290SA; previously BMW K1200R, Brute 910R, Brute750S, BMWR1150GS, Honda VFR800, YamahaXJ650, Honda400/4, HondaCB360 and more
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick de V View Post
Hi Glenn,

I reckon a BMW boxer of some sort is the perfect bike for the job. Perhaps a GS.
Will go forever, reasonably upright position - bum up chin down in traffic 1h each way in all weathers isn't my idea of fun -, small windscreen for rain protection, enough torque and power to escape sticky situations, heated grips, top case or tank bag for your work gear/briefcase/etag...good mirrors :-)
M
GS 1150 or 1200 (depends on your budget for sure). Then of course we wil need to ask admin to ban you from the forum.

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode