Michelin Pilot Pure - feedback - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Michelin Pilot Pure - feedback

I find other people's experience useful, so I am returning the forum favor. I mounted up a set of the new Pilot Pures on my 750 Senna a few months ago, and here is my feedback.
  • For those with 750's, yes, the 120/70 fits under the front fender. Not much room, but enough to not have to mod.
  • These tires are VERY pressure sensitive...as in you can feel the difference between 1lbs - 2lbs of pressure. I think it has to do with the supposedly thinner sidewalls in order to make the tire lighter (supposed to be 2lbs lighter than comps).
  • Do not under inflate these tires--even a few lbs below recommended and the front feels like garbage--slow to turn and mushy feeling.
  • Recommended pressure from the michelin rep at the track is the same for street and track: 32 psi - 34 psi.
  • I used the higher 34 psi since I am heavier and was on a hot track (mid 80's F) and they felt great. I was trying to keep as much heat out of the tire that day.
  • Heat up was very quick--I usually keep it mellow the first lap anyway.
  • Wear has been good so far, but I do minimal street riding.
Hope this helps someone.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Interesting reading Rick, I usually run much lower pressures than that when track riding, whatever the make of tyre. As you say perhaps the thinner walls on Pilot Pures is why you inflate them more. Have you ever tried Power Race Mich's? I've used them on both my bikes and they are very good IMHO, quick to warm up and give plenty of feedback to the rider, but probably won't last as long as a pair of P Pures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
hes

Thanks for the post. I am considering same tires (I am currently running the Pilot Power 2 CT).

Ok with the pressure, but how about anything else? Good grip? good feel overall?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Thanks for your thoughts...mine will be arriving today and I've been real anxious to try them.

** DO or DO NOT; there is no TRY ** There is no way to happiness; happiness is the way **

B4 1078RR
996 X50
958.2 GTS
FZJ80
1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Tires are such a dynamic topic...without really having some way to control the variables (i.e. same bike, setup, temps, same mood that day, etc) I really can't give you a definitive answer how they compared with other models. I would like to ride different types back to back to back, but probably will never get the chance.

I initially ran my Pures below 30psi (as I have done with Dunlop GP-A's on a 996 and Dragon SuperCorsas on my previous F4), and the Pures felt like garbage, were stepping out before getting to the tread edge, and I had zero confidence. I think I was hot-tearing the shoulders too, as they were getting very beat up with lots of melted rubber and the nice purple-ish sheen on the rubber.

Once I figured out the pressure sensitivity (and took Michelin's recommendations, duh), they felt great and the condition of the shoulders cleaned up nicely. I have two track days on them, and will probably get a couple more.

I guess the ultimate accolade is that I didn't crash...that has to be worth something???
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:28 AM

I have a Pure at the back of my Brutale and is idd a great tire
Thinking of putting a set on my Bst,s in my F4 but i only ride the F4 around a 1000 km a year on it and the bridgestone on it are almost new... But idd there great tires
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 AM

I have not tried them myself but some members on the S1000RR forum have and they are saying they are not as sure footed or suit the bike as much as the Racetec Interact K3 (std equip)a shame as that is where I was heading.

Some say they follow white lines and overbanding?

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 04:58 PM

I just spent a few hours and 200+ miles on a set in the mountains above LA...really liked them. Started with 30-30, a little sluggish (as stated) ended up at 32-32 and they worked swell. I ran a set of 2CT's and they were fine at slow to med speeds and terrible at higher speeds and gave zero feed back (when really pushed) these tire do give you a decent idea of what they're doing. So far, so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode