An MV noob with questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

An MV noob with questions

Hi all. Just joined up so this marks my first post--I gaurantee it won't be the last! :P

I'm popping in here because I want to know. I'm currently a Ducati supersport owner (800, air cooled) who is itching for a superbike in my near future. The problem is, the superbikes I like in the Ducati brand are getting harder and harder to find nice specimens of. Specifically, 999S's aren't as common used as they used to be and those that are I'm wary of the mileage and care. I'm not a big fan of the new superbikes and thus, they aren't entering into consideration for me.

Enter MV. I've looked at MV's for several years now from afar, but yet I just don't know much about them. I knew it couldn't be a first bike for me after so long a hiatus which is why I bought the supersport. It has made me a better rider, and a better mechanic as well lol. But I look at how MV hasn't done anything drastic to the look and shape of the F4 and I'm now considering that this bike is my next superbike.

The question is, knowing what you all know now, what would you tell someone considering a F4? Would you tell them they need a small fortune for maintenance? Would you tell them it is easily servicable? Just like Ducati owners have to learn about timing belt harmonics and valve adjustments, what do MV owners need to learn?

I'm asking to be taught, so I know what will help me make an informed decision about MV Agusta. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentathol View Post
what do MV owners need to learn?
hahah lol You will need to learn: How to keep your MV temperature DOWN and keeping it from overheating

Overheating is an MV signature!!

~Serge~
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 PM

New Site Garage
Although there are a few simple mods you can make to eleviate the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by svldvc View Post
hahah lol You will need to learn: How to keep your MV temperature DOWN and keeping it from overheating

Overheating is an MV signature!!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 01:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
If you have any specific questions you will most likely find the FAQ or search tabs towards the top of the page useful.
Depending on the year and cc rating, I'd look for high temp issues in slow riding conditions and correct torque settings for the rear hub bolts. Some have had leaky radiators.

As for servicing & maintenance, if you can find your way around a Ducati, you'll have little problems with an F4.
Welcome.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
F4's are as reliable as most offerings from the land of the rising sun IMHO.

Overheating can be a problem if you plan to ride in urban areas or where the ambient temperature is regularly above 21 C or 70 F. But it's not a major issue in cooler zones. It's already been suggested you check the FAQ's, there have been issues with rear hub bearing failures but that's generally down to poor maintenance and/or incorrect chain adjustment.

Ducati = Good, MV = Better and believe me I've had several examples of both marques over the years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 05:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Talking

what he said^ +1

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Established Member

Just curious, but what is it about the new Ducati superbikes that you are not a fan of? the 1098S is a pretty nice bike, and it's faster than the 999s and the 1198S is better still....and both are leagues better looking...of course in my opinion. There are still new, unsold stock of 1098 out there for a steal I hear. To each his own always.

Last edited by Squid; 06-16-2010 at 12:23 AM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Just curious, but what is it about the new Ducati superbikes that you are not a fan of? the 1098S is a pretty nice bike, and it's faster than the 999s and the 1198S is better still....and both are leagues better looking...of course in my opinion. There are still new, unsold stock of 1098 out there for a steal I hear. To each his own always.
They are nice bikes, and very fast for sure. Much faster and more technologically advanced over the 999. But, they blend in too well with japanese bikes. The 999 series was more distinctive and head-turning in my opinion, whereas the 1098/1198 look like R1's to me. I run into this 999 style vs. 1098 style constantly on the ducati site I frequent and it is all opinion. Personally, I'll take the styling of the 999 anyday... it just needs a single sided swing arm. Heh.

Speed was never an issue for me in picking out a superbike because I'll never use all of it, so that drops from comparison. I'm all about how it rides, fits, and looks. So of course, I think I want an MV but I still need a test drive before I own one. Since I will probably be buying used I wanted to find out if there were any quirks/issues I should know about. This stems from the fact I bought my Duc without knowing anything about it or its maintenance. I would do it all over again since I love the bike, but I just prefer to know what I'm getting into this time.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 AM
Established Member

The dealer network in the U.S. for Ducati is superior to that of the MV's. If I were to consider an Aprilia, BMW, KTM or Triumph in the future it would be on the strength of the local support, whereas my MV requires a trek to San Francisco (Munroe, great guys.)
That being said, a riding buddy with an '09 1098S is finding it buggy...Bike is in the shop again for an indefinite period, awaiting a new tank, etc, under warranty. Could be an isolated case (?) Both the F4 and the Ducati drip pheromones, as hormonal a machine as was ever made. I'd rate the MV's build quality unto a class by itself and, once the small idiosyncrasies are understood and sorted out, the MV is easy to live with.
If you go with the MV get to know CAG, our FT. (Forum treasure.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode