6 weeks in california - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

6 weeks in california

i would appreciate some advise or even a bit of help.

from 13 september to 25 october i will be in santa barbara CA. the trip is mainly business related but i also will have time to take several days off for some sightseeing. (for the one interested: i am a professor in theoretical physics, and there is a long research workshop at the KITP on the UCSB campus. and just a building away is the microsoft station Q, which is doing related research on quantum computers).

now i would love to have a motorcycle for some longer road trips and sightseeing in california; especially i know i will miss my brutale.
so i am looking for some options to have a MV Agusta (F4 or burtale) during my stay.

so far i have come up with the following options:

(i) rent a bike
(ii) buy back leases from private or a shop
(iii) buy a beautiful second hand F4, and import it to europe.
(iv) shipping my own bike.

does any one have some experience with reliable MV shops
in southern california, which would be interested in a deal like this?
i know it is a long shot, but is maybe even a member here, which would be interested to rent/lend a bike to some "older" rider?

any tips or advise is highly appreciated.

PS: and yes, i am planning to attend Bubba II, as i am already in the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 PM

There is a great motorcycle museum in Solvang, I am told.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
for the ones interested: i am a professor in theoretical physics.......... and yes, i am planning to attend Bubba II, as i am already in the US.
Think about it.......

A German professor in theoretical physics........at the Bubbalicious!

I'm sure we have lots in common intellectually.....

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
so far i have come up with the following options:

(i) rent a bike
(ii) buy back leases from private or a shop
(iii) buy a beautiful second hand F4, and import it to europe.
(iv) shipping my own bike.
option (v) buy a beautiful second hand Brutale, and import it to Europe. You'll be much cooler if you do.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:24 PM

Did You ever thought on traveling with Your Brutale to California ? A round trip with Lufthansa Cargo, for an example, will cost You less than 2000 Euro only.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Think about it.......

But with some booz I think with a few apples and an arrow we would be able to recreate some of Newtons laws. At least with the Professor we can do it the proper way.

Last edited by wa2fst; 05-30-2010 at 05:14 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Think about it.......

heh, i am certainly looking forward to it --- and this is meant serious.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
Did You ever thought on traveling with Your Brutale to California ? A round trip with Lufthansa Cargo, for an example, will cost You less than 2000 Euro only.
yes, i was considering this option. but the preparations are very demanding and expensive. i have read a lot of reviews, where people doing it would next time buy/rent a bike there.

does any one know if Pro Italia would be interested in some longer term
rental? as i have read a lot of good reports about them, i would trust them. does anybody know who to contact to ask directly?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:05 AM

In general is it worth shipping Your own Bike if Your stay is longer than 2 to 3 weeks. Bike retal companies are rare and the prices are high. For a fact is the insurance for a foreigner sky high. Plus the rental companies running the risk that they will see there bike as a piece of scrap again. Google for Bike rental prices just to get a glimpse of a clue what prices they have. And here You will find everything from BMW, Harley or Japanese. To rent exotics as Ducati, Aprilia or MV Agusta would be exorbitant if anyone is even offering it. What is the difficulty about shipping Your Bike ? You give Lufthansa Cargo or a Shipper like Schenker a call. Okay You have to give them a few details and documents. For an example a carnet would be nice but You can get this from the ADAC. You have to drop Your Bike usually clean, battery disconnected and with no more than a liter of fuel in it. It will arrive on the same day You arrive at Your destination. When You return You drop it off and a week later You can collect it from Your Home Airport. The shipper will do everything including customs etc. The return takes a little longer since the US Custom keep the Bike for few days to make sure it is not registered as stolen. They have also special crates for shipping bikes. Usually they are happy if it is a round trip because they do not have to ship the the crates without load. Might You can fly the Bike to LA and return it from Atlanta. So go for it You have all the time You need. September is still several month to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode