Oops! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Oops!

Ok so I'm in work yesterday (I'm a carpenter/joiner building houses) and the guy who has just moved in to the newly finished house opposite has a couple of bikes. Anyway I'm working away and his mate pulls up into his driveway on his R1 to go out for a 'ride' with him. The guy gets on his leathers opens his garage and starts his VERY smart Ducati 1098r (it has everything on it, Carbon, Termignoni etc,etc,) he spent a fortune on it, race pistons...everything!, anyway .....you know what is coming, don't you? He pushes the bike, engine running out of he garage, his mate on his R1 waiting ready to go, puts the side stand down and goes back into the garage for his helmet when I notice the Ducati start to roll forward ..off its stand then BANG it's on it's side!. In a moment the guy is out picking it up but its damaged. Clutch lever, fairing, engine casing and clip on. I felt sorry for the guy as he wheeled it back into his garage. Just didn't have the stand 'fully' down and a slight slope on the driveway cost him BIG bucks. Ouch...,Seeing it happen right there is a lesson to be not too complacent in how you 'leave' your bike as in a moment it could cost ya if you're not extra careful. Cheers Brian. PS, I'll get a closer look at it on Monday as I don't think he was in the mood when it happened!

Last edited by BG Wells; 05-22-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:23 AM

All I can say is THANK GOD IT WASN'T AN MV !!!
No, seriously that sucks big time, and a good reminder for all of us that it is THAT easy....

Poor bugger, he must feel like shit...

Matt

Currently : mv1000f4 312r, Ducati 750ss (95),and previously...gsxr600 k1, yzf1000r, ducati 900ss, ducati 600m, yzf750r, cbr600f, xt600, gpz900r, nsr250sp, kr1,
cagiva mito 125 (lawson replica), rg250, z250, cb350 (Four)...and counting...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Oooooh!.. I feel for the guy !!!

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 AM
lee

NEVER park a bike on the sidestand facing downhill. The MV sidestands (and the Ducs) don't swing far enough forward and the slightest downgrade (coulped with the vibration from the engine running) will cause the stand to fold up.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM

Its not nice to see that happen to anyones bike, especially not a nice collectable Ducati

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:12 PM

that's what i always avoid in parking, any degree of downhill is a NO NO parking spot for me. that's a pretty $$$ repair....but to have a Duc R .....he has the $$$.... i still feel sorry for him.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 PM

I had a dream of doing something like this. I am 5 foot nothing and I personally ride a GSXR 600 Alstare. I LOVE my bike, I would kick my own azz if that was they way I messed my bike up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Still haven't had a proper look at the damage as he has been keeping a 'low profile' since it happened...probably adding up the cost and explaining to his wife!!. Anyway this guy doesn't have much luck with his bikes. I got into a chat with him a little while ago when he first moved in, I was telling him about my MV etc. He also has a KTM 990 Supermoto in the garage and he built a very 'rickety' shelving unit out of light plywood, just had it 'freestanding' against the garage wall and had a couple of quite heavy mahogany doors stored on top of the shelving unit he built with the KTM on a paddock stand only a couple of feet away. Well he said he heard this crash coming from the garage and opening the door he found the shelving unit had 'twisted' (not being fixed to the wall) and the doors had slid off the top, hit the bike which was lying on its side with the doors on the top of it!!. Miraculously the only damage was a slightly bent rear brake lever and a couple of marks on the swing arm where the 'lugs' of the paddock stand had 'dug in'. The paddock stand actually saved it when it was on it's side (from both sides)!. I hadn't seen his Ducati at that stage as it was over in England getting all the work done to it. And he was saying how relieved he was that it wasn't in the garage when this happened as they'd probably have been parked beside each other and the result didn't bear thinking about. Then a few weeks later he drops it in the driveway!!!. Maybe a little accident prone methinks or just careless, hard to say, but one things for sure...He'll never get a go on my MV!!!!

Last edited by BG Wells; 05-25-2010 at 02:06 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:05 PM

When i had my VFR i stopped in the street to park at an awkward angle. i just pulled parallel to the curb. i planned on going back out shortly but got side tracked. well my 4 year old son and 5 year daughter thought it was a good idea to play on it. was in the back of the house when i heard my daughter yelling for me. they managed to knock it over and it landed on top of my son. luckily the curb was there to stop the bike from going all the way to the ground and pinching my kids legs. I felt horrible for what happened and TRULY learned how to park a bike correctly. Im just glad that no one got hurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode