big tour planned on Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

big tour planned on Brutale

So I've just mentally committed to taking the Brute on a pretty serious trip- starting June 1. I'm going to ride from Santa Fe to the Bay area for a weekend seminar and visit some friends. Then I'll ride up the coast as far as Portland, Or. to visit some other friends, and finally, work my way back home via Denver. All in all I'm guessing about 4,000 miles. I have 17 days, which is plenty barring bad weather, or heaven forbid, mechanical problems. I've done a fair number of long trips on other bikes, and a couple of multi day trips on the Brute, but nothing this long. Though the bike has been great, reliable, fun, etc., part of me is still a little nervous about its "exotic" Italian heritage- that is, I hope to hell it doesn't leave me stranded in the Nevada desert. I recently had a major service done (including changing the rear hub bearings) , and will change oil and tires right before I leave. That and some cortisone injections into my butt, and I think I'll be ready. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:13 PM

Good luck dude, that sounds like a sick trip. I am definetly not in enough bike shape to make that kinda trip. I am working my way past 150-200 in day. But I've also started to work out pretty hard which is attributing to my soreness. Have fun, ride hard, and make sure you hit some of the pacific coast highway while your in Cali

Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere - Colin Chapman

2004 Brutale 750S
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 PM

Awesome.

I've never had the time (yet) to take so long a trip, but I envy you. Since you have so many days to ride the distance, I don't forsee any issues...Maybe a throttlemeister might be useful?

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Established Member

Wow, you definitely have more 'nads than myself! I've done several multi-day/weekend trips with my F4 - in fact earlier this month I did a 4 day/1100 mile trip to the Ozarks - but for a trip such as the magnitude you're talking about, I'd certainly want some sort of a dedicated sport tourer.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten~39 View Post
Wow, you definitely have more 'nads than myself! I've done several multi-day/weekend trips with my F4 - in fact earlier this month I did a 4 day/1100 mile trip to the Ozarks - but for a trip such as the magnitude you're talking about, I'd certainly want some sort of a dedicated sport tourer.
yeah, if I could afford more than one bike I'd definitely want a sport tourer (had a few VFR's in my past), but alas, I'm a one bike guy. Hot tubs, massage, and beer at the end of the day all help
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 AM

I can show you some nice roads in Utah... along the way Thats a long trip! I did a 5 day one and my ass has never recovered, haha. Wear biker shorts!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Established Member

Good luck on your trip. My girlfriend and I are leaving next month for a 2 week trip from here to West Virginia. We'll be riding thru Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolina mountains and then thru West Virginia, which as we found out last year, had the best roads of all those places.
I'm going on my Buell Ulysses though. I work out 4-5 days a week and am in great shape, but it's really not an issue of strength or endurance as much as a comfort issue. We did the same trip of roughly 3,300 miles last year. The Buell is more of a dual-sport so in my case, as much as I'd LOVE to have the Brutale once I'm THERE, it'd be tough to ride it there since i do have the option of the Buell.
For this years trip we decided to change things up a bit . See the last time we wasted 2 days (1,000 miles & almost 1/3 of the trip) just getting in and out of Florida. This time we're going to ride up and take the autotrain back. It'll give us a few more days to ride around up north in the mountains. If any of you have ever driven or ridden ALL the way thru florida I'm sure you understand. We have the flattest, straightest and most un-interesting roads known to man.
Anyway, not to discourage you but just make sure to take your time and stop every 75 miles or so to take a break. If you do that you should be ok. Oh and be sure to take a tire repair kit with a co2 air-pump and spare cartridges. That's more likely to keep you stranded than the rest of the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GP1152; 05-20-2010 at 07:30 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I keep a small tire repair kit under the seat- good reminder to check its condition. I'm also pretty fit, and I had the stock seat re-gelled, so that helps, a little. My experience is that the first 2 days are the hardest, after that your butt and mind both start to accept what you're doing. Does that mean I have my head up my a--? Maybe. Anyway, thanks for the kind words. I'll be sure and post up any worthwhile pics when I get back. (Gus: yeah, I understand about Florida, I'm a former east-coaster..)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:29 AM

That sounds like one hell of a ride. Best of luck.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM

and I tought I was brave when I picked up a bike I purchased in New Orleans and rode it home to Houston...man please keep a journal and update us with pictures...enjoy!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode