Had My Brutale Detailed by a Pro - Well worth the money - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Had My Brutale Detailed by a Pro - Well worth the money

I bought a Brutale less than a month ago, and I'm still getting settled in. Waiting for the local Agusta mechanic to free up some time to attend to the mechanical/electrical issues.

As I'm waiting I still look at the bike every day, admiring the lines and the details, but the prior owner didn't treat the exterior as well as it should have been. Lots of swirl marks in the paint, and in need of a very good cleaning in all the hard to reach areas.

So, I contacted the best car detailer in my area (a 3 hour ride, but his work is well known) and asked if he was planning to be in my area. He wasn't but said he'd make a trip if I had some work for him. I had him fully detail my black Jaguar (great car, also bought used and also with lots of swirls in the paint) and the Brutale.

On a 10 point scale, with 1 terrible and 10 concours quality, before the detailing the Brutale was a 4 (I'm VERY fussy about paint). I was concerned that if any detailer had to do any extensive work to repair the damage the MV Agusta logos would be damaged. Well, with a real detailing pro, who has the right equipment and knows how to use it, that wasn't an issue.

Three hours later the MV Agusta is a 9+. The swirls are gone, the bug debris is history and even under the fenders is clean again. The wheels look like new - no marks, tar or other problems anywhere. The red paint looks dazzling in the sun - you can see the reflections of the clouds when you stare at the paint.

Very much worth the three hours of work, at for the modest fee that he charged the bike looks like new. Highly recommended if anyone wants to make their favorite bike look as good as it drives. By the way, I take very good care of all my vehicles, but I know enough about detailers to know that if you find a good one you'll be amazed at the results.

He also worked for 12 hours on the Jaguar - quite extensive, but far from a full concours quality job (there's a limit to how much is too much for a daily driver). The car looks like it just had a brand new paint job.

If your vehicles are mechanically sound, but cosmetically challenged, find a good detailer and I think you'll find the money is well spent.

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."

Last edited by lencap; 05-16-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Not very lucky..

I guess you'll post pictures soon?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 PM

what is paint 'swirl'?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:43 PM

New Site Garage
oooh Len - you let someone else fondle Sophia

I get bristles just thinking about someone else touching my ladies curves !!!

but in all seriousness - where are the photos ??

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
I get bristles just thinking about someone else touching my ladies curves !!!
I gave her a good going over in Taupo...

Cheers, Simon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brutale 990R LE - Number 121/500
Brutale 910R

New Zealand MV Owners Group: For more info, go to the NZMV our website
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join our mailing list & find us on Facebook.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 02:56 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by squibby View Post
what is paint 'swirl'?
If you look closely at your paint, in any good light but especially under florescent lights, you may see very faint "swirl" marks. Almost like the outer rings of a spider web. Swirl marks are actually microscopic scratches in the paint. It is most often caused by waxing the bike and then removing the wax using a circular motion.

When you do that, you create a 360 degree microscopic mark in the paint for the light to reflect off of. If you see paint that looks "wet" or "deep" it is because there are no scratches in it. By using a back and forth motion, you the minimize the risk of swirls.

Or something like that.

Last edited by CAG; 05-17-2010 at 08:41 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I'll try to post pictures, but it may take a few days. Swirls are as CAG described. You may also notice that the paint doesn't reflect as brightly as it did when new. Hazing, streaking and lots of other problems. All of that is removed when the surface is professionally detailed.

A full detail can be expensive, but on a motorcycle it is usually very cost effective. If you consider that even in today's market an older Brutale in good shape is $7,500 or so, spending $250 to make it look like new isn't a bad investment at all.

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 AM

paint swirl is nothing to fix. The AUTOGLYM range of polish's will bring any paint back to new if you know

what you're doing. Knowing how to detail and clean your bike is so important in my opinion. If you've

never done it, do some light research and you'll learn alot, not only about detailing , but your bike too.

Len, you could possibly search the web for info on doing this. Once you know how, the end results are

worth every minute you put into it. Get to know your bike and save $300.00
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I agree that there is a lot of information about how to detail on the web, and I've tried it myself. The gentleman that detailed my Brutale is a true pro. He has an incredible array of polishing equipment - complex buffing patterns, etc. These are not ordinary circular or orbital buffers, but very high end machines. He also brought with him literally dozens of different buffing pads/polishes/waxes, etc. Each is designed to address a particular surface "defect".

For example, the front fender had some road rash and was pretty beat up from rocks, bugs, etc. He used a particular polish/pad/machine for that part of the bike. Then he followed it up with different pads/polishes/machine to fine tune the result. He wasn't happy until he got it as close to perfect as he could.

That same level of detail, and lots more, went into the tank. He worked particularly well going over the MV Agusta decals. He tested the surface in each area several times, making sure that the machines restored the surface and didn't do any damage. He has special tools to reach all the hard to reach areas of the bike, and a wide array of soaps/cleaners to get the road dirt off. He even made the front headlight surface look like new - got all the dead bugs off, cleaned off a hazy spot, etc.

To give you an idea of his work, it took him 12 hours to get the Jaguar to the level he considers 90%. Keep in mind, my car was in pretty good shape before he started - high sheen, very good interior, garaged, etc.

My point is that a person that details for a living, like most professionals in any field, has a lot of tricks and tips. He was very helpful, make my vehicles look like new and reasonably priced.

A very good experience and I'll use him again.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cruiser -

You're right. I had mixed feelings about sharing Sophia with another man. I must admit that she appears to be radiant today, but she still knows who cares for her the most.

Next up - new battery, full service, suspension adjustments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode