Envious of MV? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Envious of MV?

Has anyone else experienced Mv envy? What i mean is when your riding along and another rider is behind you, feels it`s necessary to blast past you just to prove a point?

I`ve never had it happen when I`ve ridden previous bikes, but today some asshole almost took my elbow off.

I wasn`t driving Miss Daisy, but i was scrubbing in a new rear. This guy ( with a pillion ) blasted past me on an sv1000 just as i was about to turn-in on a right hand bend with his pegs sparking!

What makes it worst is the seris of bends is know locally, and by the authorities as ` the dead bends`. Two of my mates have been involved in serious crashes there and one didn`t survive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:45 PM

It happens often when you're driving/riding a "better" car/motorcycle than someone else. The nicer the car/bike you drive/riding, the more frequently it happens.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
It happens often when you're driving/riding a "better" car/motorcycle than someone else. The nicer the car/bike you drive/riding, the more frequently it happens.

Yeah i thought that, or he could just be a complete throbber.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Established Member

If this makes you feel any better, I think there is a law against following any Harley any time. I do not care if Im going 10 over, some Squid on a Sportbike will pass me at full throttle. (bicycles to) LOL.

Rider, Restorer, Painter and Owner of Aermacchi and HD Motor Cycles.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 PM

New Site Garage
nope but had a guy on a triple 9 s/r follow me into Thruxton and tell me how sweet my cored exhaust sounds
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man 2 View Post
If this makes you feel any better, I think there is a law against following any Harley any time. I do not care if Im going 10 over, some Squid on a Sportbike will pass me at full throttle. (bicycles to) LOL.
If you're going 10 over through the good roads while piloting an HD, then you're at roughly the 95th percentile of HD riders. Many times those guys are going so slow passenger cars are forced to pass.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonbombburst View Post
Has anyone else experienced Mv envy? What i mean is when your riding along and another rider is behind you, feels it`s necessary to blast past you just to prove a point?

I`ve never had it happen when I`ve ridden previous bikes, but today some asshole almost took my elbow off.

I wasn`t driving Miss Daisy, but i was scrubbing in a new rear. This guy ( with a pillion ) blasted past me on an sv1000 just as i was about to turn-in on a right hand bend with his pegs sparking!

What makes it worst is the seris of bends is know locally, and by the authorities as ` the dead bends`. Two of my mates have been involved in serious crashes there and one didn`t survive.

I'm not sure if it is just MV as i have it all the time on a 1098 i think it is just because you are on an exotic bike
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbiceps View Post
I'm not sure if it is just MV as i have it all the time on a 1098 i think it is just because you are on an exotic bike
Thats true Paul. I know theres definitely an anti-Ducati contingent among the Jap sportbike riders. I think alot of it might stem from jealousy.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike View Post
Thats true Paul. I know theres definitely an anti-Ducati contingent among the Jap sportbike riders. I think alot of it might stem from jealousy.
I think your right Mike any non jap bike seems to promote these feelings
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike View Post
I wouldn't disagree with this, but it works both ways. I attended a weekend gathering of Ducatis one time in the Lake District, NW England. I'd been a long-time member of the Ducati club which organised the event, and had attended a fair number of their events on my Duc. I'd made a good many friends in the club, and most of them knew my bike on sight. However, my 888 was undergoing a refurbishment at the time and was out of commission, so on this occasion I was riding my RC30.

I arrived alone in the area on the afternoon before the event was to take place, pitched my tent in a nearby campsite, then spent a couple of hours just riding the local lanes. As you can imagine, the whole area was heaving with Ducatis. They were arriving from far and wide. But without a word of a lie, the whole lot of them blanked me as I passed them on the road on my RC (..despite my wearing a green/white/red Dainese jacket with Ducati emblazoned on its front and sides, and despite my nodding to them all without exception).

It was only the next morning when we all met up for a ride-out and they realised I was actually 'one of them' that they even gave me the time of day. Taught me a valuable lesson that did, and soured my enjoyment of the event (..it might even have something to do with why I no longer ride a Ducati).

Steve

ps. With regard to the original post:
I'm passed on the road quite a lot when I'm riding the RC30 (..since I bimble on it more often than not) but very often the rider of any modern-day Japanese bike will slow down and run alongside me for a while whilst giving me the 'thumbs-up' sign. Seems the bike commands massive respect amongst non-Italian-bike riders, even so long after its heyday.

Last edited by 750four; 05-15-2010 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode