Envious of MV? - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Never had that problem but I think that's cos mine is a classic. Most people think it's a cool little thing.

It's like Allan and the others here said. It's a natural reaction to pretty or expensive things.

I wouldn't worry about it, Baron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
It happens often when you're driving/riding a "better" car/motorcycle than someone else.
Almost inevitably when I'm out on the local interstate in the 575 Maranello, some guy in a Three Series BMW shows his testosterone. I can be running with traffic at 70-80 mph, and here he comes up behind me, crowding my tail.

Most of the time, I just move over, but occasionally.............it ends badly for the BMW guy.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Established Member

i dont think it is jealousy. what ive found since owning an MV is when parked the first thing they for is the chicken strips. depending on the tires they either compliment you or make starbucks jokes. i think the majority of non italian owners believe the riders are sissies and some rich boys buying an expensive toy with bragging rights.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:23 AM

I've had alot more positivity directed toward my bike than not. Most blokes will give me the

'nice bike mate!' nod, and 9 times out of ten i'll have someone wanting to chat

(which i'm always happy to do) if we're stopped at lights. I find the guys that regularly ignore me and

probably everyone else are BMW riders. More than a few times i've been snubbed, jealousy i guess.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:55 AM
MRT

Amongst my group of friends, guys that ride Italian bikes (mainly Ducati) have a bit of rep for being posers. We all know thats mostly not the case, but you definately do see the guys with the elitist attitude. When I meet other riders I don't talk about my bike until they ask. We have all met the guy in the bar who asks what you ride and then starts talking about himself and his bike before you can get your answer out! No one likes that guy...

It doesn't matter what someone else rides, it's their pride and joy. It might be the biggest heap of shit in the world but the guy that owns it thinks it is awesome. As riders we have enough hassles without creating divisions based on what we ride.

Having said that, I see what was described in the original post occasionally. I usually deal with it by waving them past and then giving them a bit of a push along....when you get to the next stop every one has had fun.

Overall, the response to the MV is good. It's all about attitude. Like anything in life, if you act like you have a stick up your arse people will think you're a tosser...
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:47 AM

Around here the biggest posers are the guys on the Jap bikes. They're the ones with no helmet, and the T-shirt, and flip-flops. The guys on the Euro bikes are usually decked out in full gear....they're in it for the ride, not to be "seen". The guys on the Jap bikes are about being seen and drawing attention to themselves.

As far as Italian bikes being "snob" bikes.....I don't care. I owned 9 Jap bikes before I got my first Italian bike (the 1098), worked my way up to it. I just buy whatever I like, don't really care what anyone else thinks. Plus, I've never been to a Starbucks in my life....

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916

Last edited by SportBikeMike; 05-16-2010 at 09:52 AM.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:51 AM
RT1
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750four View Post
I wouldn't disagree with this, but it works both ways. I attended a weekend gathering of Ducatis one time in the Lake District, NW England. I'd been a long-time member of the Ducati club which organised the event, and had attended a fair number of their events on my Duc. I'd made a good many friends in the club, and most of them knew my bike on sight. However, my 888 was undergoing a refurbishment at the time and was out of commission, so on this occasion I was riding my RC30.

I arrived alone in the area on the afternoon before the event was to take place, pitched my tent in a nearby campsite, then spent a couple of hours just riding the local lanes. As you can imagine, the whole area was heaving with Ducatis. They were arriving from far and wide. But without a word of a lie, the whole lot of them blanked me as I passed them on the road on my RC (..despite my wearing a green/white/red Dainese jacket with Ducati emblazoned on its front and sides, and despite my nodding to them all without exception).

It was only the next morning when we all met up for a ride-out and they realised I was actually 'one of them' that they even gave me the time of day. Taught me a valuable lesson that did, and soured my enjoyment of the event (..it might even have something to do with why I no longer ride a Ducati).

Steve

ps. With regard to the original post:
I'm passed on the road quite a lot when I'm riding the RC30 (..since I bimble on it more often than not) but very often the rider of any modern-day Japanese bike will slow down and run alongside me for a while whilst giving me the 'thumbs-up' sign. Seems the bike commands massive respect amongst non-Italian-bike riders, even so long after its heyday.
mmmmm rc30 i'd have one of them in my garage anyday!
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:07 AM

I seem to remember the days when all bikers nodded at each other regardless of the steed they were riding
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbiceps View Post
I seem to remember the days when all bikers nodded at each other regardless of the steed they were riding
I used to wave at everybody when I first started riding, but got snubbed too many times....now I just wave at sportbikes first, everyone else I wait for them to wave first. Sad it has to be this way. The only thing that should matter is you're on two wheels.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike View Post
I used to wave at everybody when I first started riding, but got snubbed too many times....now I just wave at sportbikes first, everyone else I wait for them to wave first. Sad it has to be this way. The only thing that should matter is you're on two wheels.
Were still fairly lucky in the UK but i know what you mean some days i seem to nod and get snubbed but that is a sign of the times.I think the worst offenders are the adventure bike riders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode