BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Three private equity firms?

I guess that means BMW and VW aren't interested.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Established Member

Private Equity buyers will face incredible hurdles getting financing at attractive rates in this market. I suspect that any private equity buyer, if they do indeed win the firm, will be a short term player and will look to flip the brand when the market improves. Not a good situation.

I also agree that current management, while passionate for the brand, hasn't demonstrated any ability to manage the business to generated sustained profits over time. Strike two.

The Ducati team may be a better home, but they have had problems of their own including low returns on investment for owners.

Given the choices Ducati seems like the best bet, but I wonder if Harley would be content to find a partner in the venture and continue ownership. Yes, I know many don't like Harley as an owner, but they are the big dog in the US. In fact having MV Agusta may breath new life into the VROD, a bike sorely needing new positioning in the marketplace.

Anyway, we all want the same thing - a stable owner for MV Agusta.

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 AM

It's a bit like the Ferrari F1 story...

Italians are great in building beautiful pieces of machinery, but lousy at managing.
Ferrari is back under Italian control, most of the expats left, and look where they are in the F1 standings.

I personally would love to see the managing side done by a strong equity firm with oodles of cash, but leave the engineering in the hands of the likes of Claudio.

I'd hate to see all his efforts of resurrecting this legendary marque go to waste by investors that have no passion for this bike.

Willy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4 Singapore View Post

Italians are great in building beautiful pieces of machinery, but lousy at managing.
Ferrari is back under Italian control, most of the expats left, and look where they are in the F1 standings.

I personally would love to see the managing side done by a strong equity firm with oodles of cash, but leave the engineering in the hands of the likes of Claudio.

I'd hate to see all his efforts of resurrecting this legendary marque go to waste by investors that have no passion for this bike.

Willy
+1
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Maybe the private equity firm that bought Chris Craft and Indian?

They are known for taking marque brands and bringing sound business plans to the venture, and at least one of the principals is now a motorcycle fanatic.

They got Indian up and running at exactly the wrong time, yet they seem determined to make a go of it. MV could be the sporting brand to compliment the cruiser?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 04-29-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: typo correction
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:57 AM

Lets hope so
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 02:55 PM

if it is a private equity firm, say good by to MV ? Might be the Alto group...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4 Singapore View Post

Willy
+2

my bike does not drink oil ......and certainly not ever eat rice!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode