Will India's Bajaj be the new MV owner? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Will India's Bajaj be the new MV owner?

The May 2010 issue of Motorcyclist discusses the future of MV Agusta on page 24, noting that Bajaj Auto of India (the world's 4th largest motorcycle manufacturer) recently increased their ownership of KTM to 32% of the company, helping to offset KTM's $115 million loss last year.

Apparently, according to the article, Bajaj expressed interest in buying Ducati and Triumph, but nothing developed after some talks were held.

The article states the Bajaj is a "prime contender" to buy MV Agusta from HD, and that Bajaj has the ability to pay a substantial cash amount to get the deal done. The article also notes that the rumored 675 MV Triple is a "well developed F3 in the pipeline".

The article states that Ducati isn't interested in MV Agusta (no surprise there - Castiglioni sold Ducati years ago).

Another interesting tidbit in the article - supposedly Bombardier of Canada offered to buy Buell from HD, an interesting story since Bombardier owns the Austrian company Rotax, the manufacturer of several Buell engines, along with some engines for BMW. If they bought Buell the article states that they would have moved production to their Can-Am sub, possibly renaming the Buell bikes as Can-Ams.

Anyway, the gist of the article suggests that Bajaj would be a strong owner for MV Agusta, is financially stable and has the cash on hand to make a deal work quickly.

It this is true, maybe the F3 triple will be a reality much sooner than anyone thought. Seems to me that with this a possibility MV Agusta has no where to go but up. I sure hope so. My local dealer doesn't have a single bike in the showroom. I guess everyone's worried about getting stuck with inventory if Harley decides to pull the plug. Seems kind of silly to me. MV Agusta is a great brand to have - the two wheeled version of Ferrari - same marketing plan, same exotic high end focus based upon racing and innovative design in an exclusive wrapper.

Last edited by lencap; 04-14-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 12:40 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post

Another interesting tidbit in the article - supposedly Bombardier of Canada offered to buy Buell from HD, an interesting story since Bombardier owns the Austrian company Rotax, the manufacturer of several Buell engines...
Wow...How did I miss that?

Al

'07 F4 1000R 1+1
A turd
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 AM

please no, please no

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Cool

Why not? What's wrong with Indian ownership? Have they wrecked KTM or robbed them of their (rather undesirable) brand identity?

Think of Corus (formerly Hoogovens/British Steel): Indian ownership. Is something amiss in the quality of their steel?

Exonofobia vs sensible global thinking.

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Indian people are incredibly smart, but when it comes to management and infastructure they are horrible. I think this would spell certain pitfalls for MV business overall.sry I type from iPhone.

May you live as long as you want, but not want as long as you live
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post
What does the fear of a large oil company have to do with this?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post
Why not? What's wrong with Indian ownership? Have they wrecked KTM or robbed them of their (rather undesirable) brand identity?

Think of Corus (formerly Hoogovens/British Steel): Indian ownership. Is something amiss in the quality of their steel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobP View Post
What does the fear of a large oil company have to do with this?

On a serious note, provided they let the Italians continue to run it, they will probably find that they have met their match in horrible management & infrastructure - however, genius & art usually comes at a price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 07:07 PM

Well something needs to be done. My dealership has recently dropped MV Agusta and they told me they haven't sold a new one in 2 years. Luckily they still sell their parts and do the maintenance.

'07 MV Agusta F4 1000R
'97 Ducati 916
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

Agree with you 100% SportBikeMike, I think we in NSW (Austalia's biggest state population wise) we may be down to one single dealer! There's a few maintanence agents but I think that's about it for dealers. I think those of us that appreciate the intangible joys of ownership that other bikes just can't provide really want to see more people share that joy.

On a greedy note, if they go under, throw a cover over it stick it the garage & pull it out in 10 years time and admire your valuable highly sought after classic!

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 01:22 AM

i just would like to see it stay with italians. Is that too much too ask. I mean, bloody alfa or some of their cars are made i india or thailland. Whats next lamb and ferraris made by the italians, vespa is indian now i think
cant the italians keep something sheez

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode