Insurance Surprise - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Insurance Surprise

In my quest for an F4, I recently discovered an new insurance term; unbindable. In short, this means the insurance company will not insure a particular model. A quick search revealed that all F4s, S1000RR, Ducati Superbikes, RSV4 and more, fall into this category. This doesn't apply to all insurance companies, but some of the bigger guys will not insure these. And even the companies that do insure these "race" models, will not insure the CC or specific models.

I went through an insurance broker (a dealer recommended) and he provided quotes from Progressive, Dairy, Geico and Farmers. He said the best price he could get was $2229.00/year. Keep in mind the quote was for Texas, with a perfect driving record, and well beyond my 20s. I decided to call around myself and received the following quotes:
Progressive $2229
Dairy: $1467
Geico: $1696
Farmers: Would not provide a price unless I gave them my Social Security number; I declined. Based on the quotes, it appears the insurance broker didn't do his job.

The quotes include uninsured motorists. These numbers are an ass-pain. Especially when I pay less than $600/year for a Brutale. Also, with the exception of Farmers, all other companies can change their rates every year whether you've had an incident or not. I find it interesting that they tell you, in the same breath, that the rate could also drop - yah right.

If there's a reliable and/or recognizable insurance company you can recommend, please send it this way. I guess I shouldn't complain. I can remember when insurance companies refused to cover any bike with the name "Ninja".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Established Member

State Farm. $449 year for my brutie. Which is about $2k less than all the other quotes I got.

-Gle8
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM

$ 636.00 a year with Allstate for F4-1000 My rate actually decreasing every year , used to be a $ 96.00 a month now its like a $ 53.00 a month. (Thats a full coverage with uninsured motorist and 500.00 deductible. ) ( Florida)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

And More

Allstate: $2196

The prices quoted reflect if I only insured this single bike with them. If I insured my car and other bikes with them the rate would drop to $1400/year. You get an additional 10% discount if you've taken a motorcycle safety course in the past 3 years.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Try MET. Ihave all of my vehicle insured through them including 3 Ducatis and my 312R. (1-800-GET MET1)

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:17 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidWhy View Post
Allstate: $2196

The prices quoted reflect if I only insured this single bike with them. If I insured my car and other bikes with them the rate would drop to $1400/year. You get an additional 10% discount if you've taken a motorcycle safety course in the past 3 years.
I would spend a little time finding out why your rate is so high compared to others. The only constant in the equation is you. Is there something in your background or on your driving record you are not aware of? Have you had claims in the past?

Call the DMV and get a copy of your record. Maybe something got added by mistake.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

In Texas

My rates were considerably lower when I lived in California. It's Texas we're in now. No DMV issues - ever. I spoke to MET LIFE and they said the main factors which influence the rates are:

1) Age
2) Rent or Own Home
3) Driving Record
4) Location
5) Motorcycle Model

The agent told me the main reasons for the high price were the MV and location. She added that motorcycles policies in Florida were considerably lower than most states, but autos were higher. Whereas in TX, auto policies were cheaper and motorcycles higher.

Here are the frequent questions:

1) Married/Single
2) Dependents at home under age of 18
3) Motorcycle Safety Course
4) Alarm
5) Motorcycle Club
6) Years of riding experience
7) Years of ownership
8) Driving Record
9) Rent or Own (Home)
10) Use for Recreation or Commute
11) Age
12) Claims
13) City/State

MET LIFE does their motorcycles through Progressive. The quote was $1561.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Bmw?

I decided to check the S1000RR, through BMW MOA.

$1604.

Price drops to $1007 if you decline the Uninsured and increase deductible to $1000. Also, they guarantee a 25% discount every year if no incidents/tickets are reported.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Established Member

wow, ur rates are unreasonably high. I have a zx6e, F41KR, and a drz400SM. insurance w/ progressive is 940 a year for all 3.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Talking Hulk Angry

OK, now I'm upset. So, I'm going to react in an unreasonable manner. Here goes. Hmmm Washington. Maybe it's your proximity to Canada. We all know Canadians have a propensity to cross the border to steal our motorcycles and jobs. Oh wait, and your state has how many sunny/dry days a year compared to the Texas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode