Import queries - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Import queries

Trying to establish if importing an MV into Australia is a practical idea. If any Oz members of the forum have tried it I'd like to know if it was worth it.
Can anyone tell me if all MV's of a particular model are identical or are they built with variations specific to the country they go to? So if I bought a US bike would it be able to be registered in Oz without undergoing any modifications ?
Also, in Oz we have a Compliance plate with a VIN (vehicle identification Number) and build date attached to the frame. What form of ID do you have on bikes in the US?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM

here we go again
long story short
old one may be possible
late model one................very very very difficult

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Cyber SPOTTER

If the bike is under 15 years of age & you have not owned for 12 consecutive months - you can pretty much forget it.

This site will answer you FAQs. These guys are excellent customs & forwarding agents, what they don't know isn't worth knowing. If still in doubt give them a call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 AM

I have been sourcing information about this recently as well.
It turns out that they dont fall under the usual motor vehicle import taxes and issues.
You do however have to get permission to import it prior to purchasing it and bringing it to the country, and a certificate issued to allow it to be registered once it gets here.
PM me if you like as i have a heap of details being sent to me currently and a few brokers working on the idea for me.
I am also told that only a few mods need to be done in order to get it registered such as New headlight and exhaust emissions testing...etc.
Most MV's would be subject to minimal mods as they were at one stage available here in Oz.
Its not the cheapest of ideas, especially not for current or recently released standards models. But for Classics and Limited Editions it could be the way to go if you can score a good deal overseas while our dollar hold relatively strong or gets stronger.
PM me and I'd be happy to share any info I get down the track to save you the hassle of chasing it yourself.
cheers
Ash

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to djt77
Currently thinking about doing this with a 1078 from the UK, have a friend who is an Australian citizen who would be willing to have it registered in his name for a year and ship it over. With brand new bike looking at $20k AUD say $1000 for shipping and still $9k in front of the game
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 AM

Unhappy Importation

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt77 View Post
Currently thinking about doing this with a 1078 from the UK, have a friend who is an Australian citizen who would be willing to have it registered in his name for a year and ship it over. With brand new bike looking at $20k AUD say $1000 for shipping and still $9k in front of the game
I imported my MV from Ireland to Australia under the personal imports scheme, so it can be done, but there is an awful lot of red tape and hassle. There are a lot of hidden costs such as hadling fees on arrival, quarantine inspection fees, customs brokerage fees, import duty, shipping insurance, Australian compliance, first time numberplate registration, roadworthiness inspection, etc. You (or your friend) may also be required to provide evidence that he used the bike for personal use, such as service receipts, insurance in his name, appropriate license, etc. etc.

I don't mean to sound negative, or rain on your parade, but the Australian govt. doesn't make it easy, and I guess if they did then everyone would be at it. If you do decide to go down this road then you would probably be best off importing a low milage limited edition such as an SPR, Ago, or Tambo, with a larger differential in values to make it worth your while.

If you're not living life on the edge - you're taking up too much space!

2000 MV F4S
1992 Ducati 888 SP4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 AM

I was offered a great deal on a 1078 312rr on the road with rego, in my name for only a shy under $25k with only 500km on the clock but decided to get a Tambo instead. Remember rego is about $700 and 3% stamp duty on the cost of the bike, so the real cost of the bike about $23k. Thats $25K bike that you can enjoy today, not next year! So how much are you saving?

By the time you stuff around with customs, your new personally imported bike will cost the same or more as a locally delivered one. Plus when you try to sell the personal imported bike it would be valued at 30% less than the current local market value. Your also need to wait a minimum of 1 year before it can land in the country. So how much do you think the locally delivered 1078 would cost next year, bear in mind the 2010 model is arriving in June.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Last edited by minime; 04-21-2010 at 09:49 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to djt77
any chance of letting me know where I might get offered a 1078 for $25k?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt77 View Post
any chance of letting me know where I might get offered a 1078 for $25k?
Check Motorino.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode