question about trailering - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

question about trailering

Hey y'all- For 25 years I've always been able to ride my bike wherever I've gone. Now, for the first time I'm going to have to trailer my bike- about 400 miles, from Santa Fe to Tucson (for service). My question is, when securing the bike in the trailer (a U-Haul) is one set of tie down straps in the front of the bike enough, or is a second set in the rear recommended?
Thanks in advance,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Established Member

Personally, I always strap both front and back.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 09:52 AM

In my truck I always only use the front straps. Trailers can be a bit bouncy though so you may want to use rear straps to prevent it from swinging sideways.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
For 40 years I have hauled bikes all over the place, in truck beds and on trailers, with only the front tied down. That being said, I also check frequently that nothing is moving around. I have found that a small bike facing backwards will tend to swing a bit side to side, but never when facing forward.

That said, when I have friend's bikes in the trailer with mine I usually will tie all of them in place at the back (not 'down', just laterally) to make my friends feel more comfortable.

If you have 4 tie-downs with attachment points at the rear, then why not use them? But I wouldn't go buy a set just for this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 AM

I don't like to compress my front forks during transport, so I don't secure the front at all. I push the bike into a Baxley wheel chock, lock it in, and then secure the bike laterally, at the mid-point of the bike. Super-secure, and no front fork compression.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Two tie down straps in the front are enough.

You should find a way to keep the rear from hopping. If the trailer has an open bottom, a bungee cord around the trailer and rear wheel is enough.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:24 AM

I always use 4 tie downs. Which is cheaper, tie downs or parts for MV Agustas? One guy brought his BMW R1200GS up to our local shop with a U-Haul and one of the tie down rings pulled loose from the bottom of the trailer. I know he was glad he used 4 tie downs.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

hmmm. Thanks for all the replies. I should have known there would be lots of opinions. I own only one set of straps, and don't have a wheel chock, so maybe the front set and some rope to hold the bike laterally at the rear, or Cag's bungee suggestion. Hopefully, I won't have to report back with a "If only I bought a second set of straps" story...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux View Post
I don't like to compress my front forks during transport, so I don't secure the front at all. I push the bike into a Baxley wheel chock, lock it in, and then secure the bike laterally, at the mid-point of the bike. Super-secure, and no front fork compression.
+1

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM

Tie-downs are $10/set--Just buy another set.

Nobody ever says "if only I hadn't strapped the bike more securely..."

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode