Riding Schools - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Riding Schools

I recently read an article on riding schools. This is something I plan to do once the winter passes. It was an excellent article and this particular school offers 3 different courses, varies in length from 2-3 days, rents motorcycles and safety equipment, and cost a little over $1,000 per day.

I would be interested in hearing what schools our fellow members have attended. Please keep in mind, I'm in the US. Yes, I would love to go to Italy, so if you can make a logical argument that the benefits would far outweigh the cost of travel, I want to hear it. However, do keep in mind that I DO NOT want to use my bike. I want a rental provided by the program. Also, the goal is to learn how to race on a track to determine if that's a path I would like to pursue.

And finally, if it's in Texas or California, that would be best.

Last edited by LiquidWhy; 01-09-2010 at 03:42 AM. Reason: goal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
The only school I have attended is Doug Polen's one on one riding school.

No classroom, no books, no exercises. Just riding.

Doug's assistant fits you with a radio device you wear under your helmet. Doug wears the transmitter. Once the volume has been set and you can hear him clearly you set out and he follows you around the track for one lap.

For the rest of the session, you follow him. You stay right behind him, you follow his line. You brake when he brakes, you turn in when he turns in, you accelerate when he accelerates.

How do you do this when you are 50ft behind him?

He is watching you in his rear view mirrors and talking to you the entire time. He tells you when to brake and how much. When you get it right, he tells you. When you get it wrong he tells you.

This continues for the entire 20 minute session.

I spent an afternoon with him which was 3 20 minute sessions. We were at VIR riding the full course.

At the end of the day he asked me how I felt. I told him I felt smoother but not particularly fast.

He told me my last lap was 20 seconds faster than my first.

Now, I'm no expert. I'm what you might call beginning intermediate. But he took one of the weekend's instructors out for 1 20 minute session. According the the timer on the instructor's bike, he shaved 2 seconds off his lap times.

Doug is in California, but if you can get 5 guys to buy a day, he will travel anywhere.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:44 AM

What has been said about the Penguin School? It's not where you are looking for, but they run up there in NH as well as have what you are looking for as far as rentals. I've heard their name bounced around for years now, knowing they ran at Loudon.

I'm down here by VIR, I'll do some asking around, I know guys that run that track pretty often.

CAG, they don't run bikes at Lime Rock do they? I drove that track for a weekend years ago, its short, seems like it would be a lot of fun.

99 4.6 HSE | 99 BMW M3 | 84 Alfa Romeo GTV6 | 02 MV Agusta F4 | 78 MG Midget | 79 Series III 109 |

"Initial Success or Total Faliure"
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChinch View Post

CAG, they don't run bikes at Lime Rock do they? I drove that track for a weekend years ago, its short, seems like it would be a lot of fun.
They used to have open track mornings for bikes on Tuesday mornings, but that ended. As far as I know, theye are no road racing schools at LRP.

I have done the first two levels of California Superbike School and learned a lot. They give schools all over the country, especially CA so one can be found near you and are using BMWs starting this year. CAG's description of the Polen school sounds pretty good too.

The best part about a riding school is that you can simply concentrate on riding. No traffic, no cars coming the other way or jumping out of a side street. You can learn more in a single track day than you will in a whole year of trying to ride fast on the street. IMO riding schools are money well spent.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 AM

I would recommend you take a look at Jason Pridmore's STAR school (www.starmotorcycle.com) I've been through his school 4 times and learn something new every time. Not only is Jason is a top-level rider and instructor, but he employs some great staff, too. Some of the guest instructors he's had at my school dates included Steve Rapp, Danny Eslick, and Josh Hayes.
Jason teaches all over the US, and has many classes scheduled at several tracks in California -- including Streets of Willow and Thunderhill.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 02:11 PM

I can recommend both the CLASS and STAR schools by Pridmore Sr & Jr. Good amount of seat time and the instructors were patiuent and very helpful. The other nice thing is they travel to the tracks that I am already familiar with so I was able to focus more on my riding that learning a new track. The other schools I have attended were far more focused towardsw riders interesed in pursuing cometetive aspiartions. In that case the Cal Superbike School was ok but Freddie Spencer School was a much better experience for me.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Also, if you go to STAR, I would highly advise doing the hot laps 2 up with Jason. He is unbelievably smooth and it is amazing how fast he is with that much weight. It was a bit scary and I was a little disheartend by the realization of how slow I really was but it also was a very valuable learning experience as a street rider.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 01:16 AM

I've been to Swantz, Spencer, Code (Cal Superbike School) I found Spencer's to far and away to be the very best. Spencer is now out, but everyone else involved (he didn't really teach anyway) have carried on as the Yamaha Champion's School at Miller Motorsports Park in Salt Lake & Vegas (you can find them though the Miller website) They're great people and great teachers! One of the Spencer instructors there that I liked a great deal (Jeff Haney) is now running Skip Barber's motorcycle program at Laguna Seca...I'm sure that would be an excellent program as well, on a wonderful, FIM certified track.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 PM

If you reconsider using your own ride I highly recommend CLASS www.class-rides.com I've taken perhaps 20 of his schools over the last 5 years and have learned more from Reg and his instructors than all the riding I had previously done in 30 some years. Last few years he's cut way back on venues and schedules so do yourself a huge favor and take advantage of it while it's still available. Anyone interested in further details can feel free to PM me and good luck if you decide to pursue it.

You can't be a real country unless
you have a beer and an airline - it
helps if you have some kind of a
football team, or some nuclear
weapons, but at the very least you
need a beer.

--Frank Zappa
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
The only school I have attended is Doug Polen's one on one riding school.

No classroom, no books, no exercises. Just riding.

Doug's assistant fits you with a radio device you wear under your helmet. Doug wears the transmitter. Once the volume has been set and you can hear him clearly you set out and he follows you around the track for one lap.

For the rest of the session, you follow him. You stay right behind him, you follow his line. You brake when he brakes, you turn in when he turns in, you accelerate when he accelerates.

How do you do this when you are 50ft behind him?

He is watching you in his rear view mirrors and talking to you the entire time. He tells you when to brake and how much. When you get it right, he tells you. When you get it wrong he tells you.

This continues for the entire 20 minute session.

I spent an afternoon with him which was 3 20 minute sessions. We were at VIR riding the full course.

At the end of the day he asked me how I felt. I told him I felt smoother but not particularly fast.

He told me my last lap was 20 seconds faster than my first.

Now, I'm no expert. I'm what you might call beginning intermediate. But he took one of the weekend's instructors out for 1 20 minute session. According the the timer on the instructor's bike, he shaved 2 seconds off his lap times.

Doug is in California, but if you can get 5 guys to buy a day, he will travel anywhere.

Umm have ya seen what Dougie boy has been up to these day's ? He took a students Desmo's out ...modded to the tit's ! that thing was worth a mint and totally wadded it ...yes he took it out with out asking ...really kinda ruined is rep around the Socal Parts.
Personally I take the Pridmore Star School, great record ! taught alot of pro's out today, check his website ! I have taken his school mulptiple times , heading out to the march classes . Jason is a great guy/teacher as well as the rest of the instructors ! Money very well spent and you will notice vast improvements !

here some pic's:
JP:

Two UP ride is hella fun you gotta try that , great learning on his bike too !

To the man who said "money can't buy happiness " poor bastard never had an MV !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Twisty McB; 02-18-2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Im a retard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode