HELP with UK-to-US MV Import? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

HELP with UK-to-US MV Import?

I've begun working with an importer, but would welcome info/resources related to the process/costs of bringing bikes "across the pond" from Europe. One is track-only, other(s) would be registered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Established Member

Hi mate,

I've just brought an MV and a Triumph 675 back from the US to the UK. (Was on company assignment)
So kinda have done a lot of the things (in reverse) if that helps?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

It may be helpful. Did you use an exporter/importer or do it all yourself? My importer sounded skeptical about absolutely getting the bikes into the US for sure.

I brought in a bunch of Porsche 911 Turbos and BMW M-cars, etc. back in the '80s, but LOTS has changed in 20+ years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
SGR
Established Member

It can be done. Start with the DMV website.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:43 AM
Established Member

I used a shipping agent - they knew the right people to contact and dealt directly with customs but essentially were just 'middle men' i had to process the forms etc. (and my bloody container got opened - inspected and audited so had to do the whole thing)

From the US --> UK

Make yourself a photocopy AND and scanned electronic copy of the bike registration document (in the US that is the bike title). I do this anyway but for this process you will have to send the original to the shipping agent. (you will get them back) If anything happens, having a copy of these docs makes life so much easier.

You need to fill in a C104A document for import into the EU/UK (i'm unsure what the US equivalent document is but i'm sure the DMV/shipping agent will be able to tell you - especially if you know what the UK form is called and are looking for the US counterpart).

If you have receipts showing the date of purchase for the bike that is a winner - to avoid import tax and sales tax you need to prove that you've owned the bikes 6 months or longer. Insurance documentation with the bike on the policy also counts as proof of ownership as far as i can tell (it was in the package that i sent to customs).

If you can't prove/havent owned the bike for 6 months or longer then you will be liable for import tax/sales tax on the total value of the bike. Here's the killer - the base taxable value is taken as the cost value of the bike PLUS the shipping/importation fees. So if the bike costs you £10,000 and then £3,000 in import fees you will then be taxed on a cost of £13,000.

There is something you can do about this - but you'll have to PM me.

If you can prove you've had the bikes for longer than 6 months then you have to sign a waiver to say that you will not sell the bike within 1 year from date of import otherwise YOU will be liable for import tax value on the bike. But i'm sure that isn't an issue - just something to be aware of.

US --> UK
To register the bike you will need the bike to pass a vehicle inspection test. In the UK this is an £80 test and given that the bikes are the same global spec, you only have to change the headlight unit. (UK low beam is to the left - US/Euro is to the right or if you're lucky symmetical). Best plan is to get a dealership to make the changes to bike. I know it's an easy change but you're more interested in the recipt that PROVES the work was done.

The US will have a similar inspection - whether this is just your yearly bike inspection certification test or not i'm not sure (but i'd expect it is). A quick search of the DMV will figure that one out.

If your bikes have a current vaild UK MOT then they'll sail through US inspection.

That's pretty much it (i think). There's procedures that the bike will have to go through for being shipped (fuel tank to the low fuel light and battery disconnected etc.) but that's minor stuff.

hope that's helped,
Andy

Last edited by Andy8982; 12-10-2009 at 04:46 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

Good info, Andy! I'll see how much reverse-application will work with this process. I'm speaking with the shipping agent again tomorrow, and have done a good bit of research on the NHTSA website, etc. I'll PM you if I need help avoiding the duty/tax thing.

My biggest concern is the Veltro not being currently registered in the UK, since it's not a road bike. Maybe I'm overly concerned, but I can't finalize the purchase unless/until I get this ironed out.

Thanx again, Andy.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Established Member

Not a worry mate. If i can help i will.

This is just me speculating now, PLEASE confirm this before you sink a lot of money into it.

As far as not being UK registered. On paper at least, it's essentially as if it's sat on a dealers show room floor without being bought. So all you'd need is a signed bill of sale as proof of ownership (for import and getting a US title) then you can do what you want as far as US registration.

Let me know if you ever decide to let that 1098R go (",) (or if you know of a good UK insurance agent)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM

Hello,

I just went through this with my Ducati in July.... Here's the problem, if it is Euro spec then you will HAVE to go through a registered importer. ABSOLUTLY HAVE TO. Now to make this process painless you need to get a letter from the MANUFACTURER of each bike stating what the differences are between the Euro spec bike and the US version. The registered importer HAS to make the conversions stated by the manufacturers letter then submit all the forms to the EPA for US emissions, and to the DOT for safety requirements. The modifications CANNOT be done by you, or by the dealership.

That's the legal way

Now this is what i did

I was living in and working in Germany, I bought an 848 euro spec bike. I wanted to bring it home with me when I moved back here, so I made phone call after phone call to EPA, DOT, Customs, Ducati North America, Ducati SPA, all gave me negative answers 100% negativity...

Ducati refused to help on both sides, Italy, and DNA.... they said sell the bike, buy a new one when I get back to the US.

After hours of research i found that there is a way to TEMPORARILY IMPORT to the US without having to go through all the BS with EPA and DOT, customs is a must.... I am a US citizen with a US passport, but I was a German resident. The regulation states that RESIDENTS of other countries can temp import for a time frame up to one year. You are supposed to have a letter of approval from the EPA as well, I did not. The guy that does this letter refused to help me out. These people are straight ass holes and have no shred of decency. So I rolled the dice with what i had and used DHL airfreight for shipping, (1,800 euro) crated the 848, filled out the customs paperwork and sent the bike packing to the US.

I was sweating bullets for 2 weeks while the bike was awaiting customs inspection. They approved it without the letter, and i took the bike from ATL airport as fast as I could.

Now to the registering of the bike. Depending on what state you plan on doing this in you might have problems. The state will not retitle the bike, but if you show proof of registration they might register it, or they may not. Depends on the place you go and the people you talk to.

here are some links

EPA
http://www.epa.gov/OMS/imports/quikover.htm

Customs
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/bas...orting_car.xml

DOT
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/IMPORT/

I hope this helps, and let me know if you need any help.
Ryan
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 AM

This only applies to race bikes you want to import.
Race bikes are exempt, but you will have to take pics of the bike and send them to the epa. They want to see all lights mirrors removed, and in full race ready attire... if you can provide that info to the epa then you can import with no problem.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Formerly WYD OPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloA&P View Post
This only applies to race bikes you want to import.
Race bikes are exempt, but you will have to take pics of the bike and send them to the epa. They want to see all lights mirrors removed, and in full race ready attire... if you can provide that info to the epa then you can import with no problem.
THANX! All greatly helpful and in line with what I'm finding. The Veltro won't/can't be registered in the US, so that part won't be an issue.

So... Since the Veltro is track-only I can side-step the roadbike requirements? If so, my importer should have no issues with THIS bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode