What Will Be The Best Battery To Buy? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Ragatzi
What Will Be The Best Battery To Buy?

Hello, This is my third battery I even use the battery tender when I am not riding, so far I had the 2 OEM Batteries and 1 Odissey battery the Odissey gel last me longer but still went dead;

I would like to know if any one had a better brand?

Thanks;

Ragatzi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm just wondering if you have an alternator problem, it would seem strange to have so many battery problems when you are using a tender. Have you got a meter to check the alternator or otherwise take the bike to an auto electrician to have the alternator function checked out, before buying yet another battery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Established Member

+1. You should get at least 2 years on either the Yuasa or the Odyssey, especially with a tender.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
My F4 is still on the original battery, coming up 4 years old now!

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:56 PM

My Evo3 is still on the original battery (but not for much longer) from 2004, on the Optimate but sits still for months on end through the winters
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Established Member

I've had my F4 for 7 years now & normally replace the battery every 2 years. I don't use it a great deal which probably compounds the problem & have tried both expensive/cheap batteries but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I think that using a battery tender charger can sometimes damage it so now remove when the bike is not used over the winter.

I think perhaps because the battery lies on it's side, the plates are not submerged in the gel/acid which could contributes to it's life.

Which ever battery you do go for, make sure it's the right one for the bike so it doesn't leak!

Anthill

MV Agusta 750 F4
Ducati Multistrada 1000DS
Kawasaki ZX9-R (Trackbike)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Another question...what kind of tender do you use?

Buy an Optimate 3+ if you want the best.

AGM batteries don't care what position they are in if they are initially serviced properly. There is no liquid in there, the plates have absorbed it all (Absorbed Glass Mat).

My old 600 Yamaha went 8 years on its original battery, and another 6 on the replacement before I sold it. Not much use either. The new owner never replaced the battery before he sold it last year either.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 PM

When the bike is running at an idle throw your multimeter on it and check voltage at the battery. You should have between 13 1/2 and 14 volts.

Take off your pants and jacket

01 750S W/1000R engine
01 Ducati 748 W/853 kit
03 Yamaha R1 (SOLD)
01 Kawasaki KX 125
88 Yamaha YSR 50
01 Yamaha R6
03 Suzuki DRZ pitbike
1982 Honda 110 atc
Yamaha PW50
1978 Honda 90 atc
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700
2008 Yamaha Raptor 660
1975 Kawasaki G5 100
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Ragatzi
Thank you very much for all your info.

Ragatzi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode