MV Agusta Forum banner

When was the last time you were stopped by the Police?

4K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  Rob Caso 
#1 ·
I was just reading a thread, where it was metioned about carrying your driving licence etc, just incase you were stopped by the Police.

Got me thinking and I cannot remember the last time I was stopped by the Police. I am sure it must be over 30 years ago. This is probaly not surprising, as the traffic police in the UK are becoming less and less.

What about you? When was the last time and what was the story?

#2 ·
I made my return to riding (UK West Midlands) 3 years ago and haven't yet been stopped. In fact, I've only seen police on a couple of occasions and one was a speed camera. I always slow to the correct speed through villages and towns, but am not quite so observant:smile2: elsewhere.

Having lived in Australia for a long time, the comparison (to me) of Oz Vs UK supports your view in that police on roads here are very few. From another forum I have learnt that it is much tougher in parts of Wales, and there has been the highly publicised 'loud exhaust and small plate' operations that fell many.:frown2:

#3 ·
Last time I was stopped was on my Duke. I think the cops just wanted to talk motorcycles. After a quick check of the reg' and my license they started talking about their bikes and recent rides. We talked for about 20 minutes and then they went on their way. See attached pic'.

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=470595

With the exception of one Alameda County Sheriff that seems to be angry all the time all of my interaction with LEOs over the last 20 years has been positive.

Attachments

#14 ·
Last time I was stopped was on my Duke. I think the cops just wanted to talk motorcycles. After a quick check of the reg' and my license they started talking about their bikes and recent rides. We talked for about 20 minutes and then they went on their way. See attached pic'.

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=470595

With the exception of one Alameda County Sheriff that seems to be angry all the time all of my interaction with LEOs over the last 20 years has been positive.

Come on down to Australia if you want a daily conersation with cops.I hae been riding a incent and a Norin for 40+ years as my daily rides. Hundreds and hundreds of people hae talked to me and asked questios about the bike in that time. Neer eer eer has a copper made so much as a comment about them, they just issue the ticket. Yet I regularly hear that that cops stop people on a UJM just to look at the bike. Go figure.

#4 · (Edited)
Itchy throttle-fingers ..

Last time I was stopped on my bike was 5 years ago on the MV SR ...:f4:
Coming home on a beautiful summer evening from the weekly "meet" at a local beach, I had a completely clear stretch of road ahead of me with only an old british open sportscar way out there on the road, so I decided to try to reach the car before the first bend maybe a mile out..
I had just passed a T-junction with a few cars turning on to the main road, so "the coast was clear" :toothless-- I just wanted to see what would happen if I just pulled all the stops and since I knew the stretch well (just a few miles from home) I also knew there were only one very visible side road ..
I managed to catch the old Triumph TR-something and overtake it before the double lines and the corner, and then slowed down to a measly 110 km/h -- After the corner naturally .. I continued at a slowing pace until the turn off for my "home road" and once more punched the button on the SR just for one last burst of speed before "landing at home" -- I did spot a set of car headlights closing up rather dramatically as I braked for the corner round my house - Turned out to be an unmarked police camera car --:devilsmok
He followed me right into my driveway, and parked his Skoda to block the way out ... He then proceeded to invite me to see a short movie he had made ... Turns out he actually lost me twice from the t-junction to my house .. And had no clear image of my plate until just before the corner at my house and only a still that showed the star-shape of my rear wheel really well :) He did however measure my speed over the total stretch to an average (fortunately!!!) of 113 km/h -- speed limit on that stretch is 80 -- That cost me a fine and one point on my license.. :baddeal: How fast my top speed was we will never know :eek:

#7 ·
Ok, i was stopped by the police (south wales) 2 months ago for "making good progress".

Spent 2mins saying sorry, I'm know better, it wont happen again. Then 15 mins talking bikes :smile2: politeness pays.

Reactions: Roehr@1250sc
#18 ·
Ok, i was stopped by the police (south wales) 2 months ago for "making good progress".

Spent 2mins saying sorry, I'm know better, it wont happen again. Then 15 mins talking bikes :smile2: politeness pays.

Yes indeed .... when I lived in London in the early 90s getting stopped was a regular occurrence as I owned a number of 2Ts and plod used the 'reason' of "it looks like a 125 and you don't have Lplates"

Helmet always came off and it was yes sir, no sir. Only time it didn't work was with a traffic officer on the Western Avenue (by the Master Brewer lights) when I was clocked at 97 through the 50 roadworks.

#8 ·
Wow, I was stopped in Oct. of this year. I get stopped a lot, and it never goes well. I have a natural animosity toward police... Just part of the charm growing up in Boston I guess. :wink2:

#9 ·
About 10 months ago for me. 92 in a 50mph zone. He clocked me at the top of the hill on this ramp to the highway...

Had just fixed the Brutale and was taking her out for the first time in a couple months. As soon as he turned on his lights I pulled right over, he didnt even have to chase me, came up and was rude from the start, kept asking me IF I was the owner of the bike while looking at my ID and Registration, I was puzzled by his questioning and he must not of enjoyed the look on my face I was giving him.

Lawyer fee's later, ticket was dismissed and no points.

Ironically later that night after getting the ticket my friends and I are at the club and I get introduced to some guys, 2 of which are cops who actually work with this prick, told them the story and how I pulled right over, they both were like damn if it was me and you stopped I def would not of giving you a ticket, would of thanked you for stopping. They asked me the officers name, gave it, both of them simultaneously go "Ohhhhh" yeah hes fucking asshole!! Bahahaha

#10 ·
i have been stopped by Police few times since i have MV, one of the conversation:

P: "WTF is THAT, Ducati??"
Me: "No, Agusta..."
P: "Aaaa Agusta, i hear about but never saw one..."
Me: "Yeaa they are quite rare..."
P: "Expensive?"
Me: "way too much :))"
P: "Fast?"
Me: "can be... :))"
P: pointing finger on to exhaust and calling another officer " Look at this!!! woooow"
Me: "yeap..."
P: "your bike look awesome"
Me: "Thank you, italians ha? :)"
P: "F****n italians, they really know how to make a bike..."

But some conversation start with: "WTF is that?? MOTUL???" :))))

#11 ·
Haven’t been pulled over for many years. They prefer to focus on revenue rather than addressing the issue on the spot.

Our speed control is monitored with hidden cameras. A fortnight ago, I got a picture and ticket in the post, 2 weeks after the event. 7km/h (4mp/h) over the limit on a downhill stretch of suburban road.
Our police have no leeway with their speed guns. They are connected via wifi, and the process is automated.

#13 · (Edited)
Haven’t been pulled over for many years. They prefer to focus on revenue rather than addressing the issue on the spot.

Our speed control is monitored with hidden cameras. A fortnight ago, I got a picture and ticket in the post, 2 weeks after the event. 7km/h (4mp/h) over the limit on a downhill stretch of suburban road.
Our police have no leeway with their speed guns. They are connected via wifi, and the process is automated.

That's crazy. The CHP (California Highway Patrol) works the road I live on occasionally and they don't bat an eye at 20MPH over the 40 limit. There are plenty of 80+ to keep them busy. Generally speaking the CHP will ignore 20 over anywhere.

Several years ago I was west-bound on the 580 Freeway east of Oakland and got into a 'lane choice contest with a Jag'. We were both at ~95MPH (limit is 65) when the CHP rolls up and sez, "Slow down!", over his loud-speaker, and keeps rolling. We both did as was requested.

There is no shortage of stupid rules in California, but nothing like the zero-tolerance speed laws like you describe.

#12 ·
try moving to west sussex in England if you want to interact with the boys in blue , seems like sundays are open house on harrassment of bikers
never seen to have spot check on four wheeled vehicles just us with two wheels , seems like the chief constable down here has a downer on bikes , just love it when you get held up and lectured on the way to behave and that their the ones that have to scrape us up and break the bad news to our familys, whatever happened to good coppers that just waved a finger and that you would respect because of it , i'm not saying its ok to get stupid but common sense must rule or is this the changing face of policing ie big brother , it got so bad down here a couple of years ago that i stopped going out on two wheels on sundays because of the frequency of being stopped. I actually sent my driving document to the west sussex police headquarters with a covering note that as they wanted to inspect them on such a regulsr basis that they may as well keep them on file , they did get retuned to me with a shitty letter

#29 · (Edited)
I actually sent my driving document to the west sussex police headquarters with a covering note that as they wanted to inspect them on such a regulsr basis that they may as well keep them on file , they did get retuned to me with a shitty letter
Quality statement. Wish I had thought of that.

Like yourself ceepee, I used to be stopped many, many times on the Welsh border in the late 80's / early 90's but since moving onto bigger bikes they then left me alone.

I have been stopped several times over the last few years, but usually of my own doing and slightly heavy right foot in a car. I'm always polite and the last time was let off for doing 110mph on the A40 near Monmouth - very lucky. I don't speed in the 30's, 40's and 50's but on motorways and dual carriageways I might be distracted if it's late and no-one else about - it was 10pm on a Sunday evening and the A40 was deserted, bar a couple of cars and wagons. I was rushing to get to the hotel in a decent time in Swindon so sat at 110. I should have taken notice of the headlights sitting behind me (I did notice it wasn't a marked police car, but dismissed unmarked...), he boxed me in when I went for an overtake as I was on the inside lane, I slowed to let them past but they sat behind me so I went for the overtake on another car then the blue lights came on... I pulled over, he confirmed my details and asked me what would happen if I lost my license. Told me it was his third he had caught at over 100 tonight and told me to slow down, he could cope with 80mph in the 70mph limit but as there were occasionally pedestrians I would be looking at a manslaughter charge as they wouldn't stand a chance (fair point - it was through the forest area and not in a built up area). Let me go on my way. I must add that it is rare for me to speed - I usually drive at 5 to 10mph under the limit and I now drive with a dash cam as sick of the idiots crashing into me and the hassle with insurance thereafter.

Last time on the bike the 2 occupants just wanted to look at the MV, as hey were interested in it being bikers themselves. I chatted for a while (as above, I'm not usually in a rush) so not really classed as a stop. I did pick up not one, but two speeding tickets in France when I went abroad on it a few months ago!

I have fallen victim to the small plate in Wales though, and my exhaust did have the EU stamp on it (but he didn't notice the baffles missing) on my Arrows on the GSXR. The plate was only marginally smaller, not like some you see, but I know the law and took the risk. Nowadays it is legal all the time.

I don't have a problem with the boys in blue, and had a friend who is a police motorcyclist in the Derby area when I was living there - if they stop me it's usually because I've stepped beyond the line and I know where the line is.

Reactions: XPARAUK
#15 · (Edited)
WOW Riders in UK take it tough. In Pennsylvania USA no hidden Cameras except at turnpike toll booths. If new areas are now covered please update me on situation. I know the Cops in my area they know me, most ride themselves. They do not usually give speeding tickets unless your going 60mph in school zone ect OR the Jackass that is really zig zagging through heavy traffic, riding on peoples bumpers and splitting lanes. When I was young/poor I rode a Kawasaki LTD 550 (only bought it because friend needed the money =Horrible bike) I rode 50 miles each way to work on Turnpike. Being it was a long strait boring ride, I Always ended up cruising 95 miles an hour and the speed limit was/is 55mph. Yet when Cops hit me with radar roughly 1 time every 2-3 weeks (worked as mechanic for year and a half on large over the road trucks, Mack freightliner ect.) The cops never even tried to pull me over.

Pa Police will pull a bike over for riding a paved shoulder in stopped traffic. in 2008 I had a TOTALLY worked 1420cc Buell Firebolt. 13:1 compression high lift cams, PENSKE suspension front/rear ect ect. Even had BUELL DESIGN FRONT BRAKES WITH CARBON CERAMIC PERIMETER ROTOR (pic on Jake End facebook page ) really a total race bike . Anyway , traffic on turnpike was stopped I rode the paved shoulder not to save time but to keep engine cool so I am going 70 MPH on the shoulder . Cop pulls me over . I am thinking , ticket for sure BUT I explained the situation and he told me to start bike. When he heard the uneven chop of high lift cams and explained the Carbon ceramic front brakes the cop says... wow that really is a race bike. I cant let you go 70 mph down the shoulder so wait until the traffic is moving again , the accident ahead should be cleared then go on your way …. Cool bike take care . PA cops are a good group in my book.

EXCEPTION: KING OF PRUSSIA PA... COPS there give everyone tickets. EXAMPLE, Home heating oil delivery trucks are not overweight even when full of fuel BUT can go overweight in winter if wet snow builds up under truck. They will NOT let you kick off the snow balls and then weigh truck and issue tickets . Cops in KOP even give other COPS tickets for going 6 miles over limit. Other Cops HATE KOP Cops.

When I was a Kid 17 I was CHASED by KOP over Danhower Brige which connects KOP to Norristown. I got to Norristown with KOP Cop chasing right behind me lights flashing, siren blasting when I saw a Norristown cop parked in a parking lot... I pulled up next to Norristown Cop and stopped . The KOP cop jumps out of car with hand on gun saying... your under arrest. Norristown Cops HATE KOP cops so much the Norristown cop says..... You do not arrest anyone in Norristown unless you call ahead and get permission. This kid is my arrest. KOP Cop is PISSED. But not as pissed as he was when the Norristown cop says to me …. I am giving you a warning for?.... the KOP Cop says riding 42 in a 35 mph zone on route 202. Norristown COP says.... You gotta be kidding me?? Kid go home and YOU( to the KOP Cop)DO NOT come into MY town without following proper procedure... Get OUT. The KOP cop leaves POED . Norristown Cop then tells me that HE got ticket for 6 miles over speed limit 41 in 35 zone on route 202 (which is technically a highway that goes through center of KOP=4 lanes)KOP cops are just assholes.

FYI, I have NOTHING against Cops. In fact I have close personal friends that are cops that I have know for over 20 years. But like in any profession you can find assholes.

#16 ·
Last time I had a police interaction was one of our 'random' drug and alcohol tests on a Sunday morning as I was heading into the hills for a blast on the F4.
All very polite with the young constable doing the tests and then the older sergeant came up with his iPad and ask if the bike was mine, yes I said, haven't had it for long, he then told me my driver's license was suspended!
I had unpaid fines I didn't even know about, and I'm thinking, bugger, a Sunday morning, do I have to leave my bike here while I go to the DoT next morning to sort it out, but nice young constable says no, it's okay, I can give you the court numbers, you can pay it online and go!
So he helped me get the bike off the main road and helped me get the fines paid using my mobile phone, then we showed it all to the nice sergeant and they waved me off with a smile!

Reactions: Roehr@1250sc
#17 ·
Last time I get pulled over was in France in 2010. My French isn't great but the cop's was non existent. Got given a breathalyser test and was waved on my way.

When I say "given a breathalyser test" I mean that he gave me the kit, unused, to take away. They were in the process of introducing or trailing the proposed law that you have to carry two of these blow in the bag kits with you. Needless to say myself and my buddy tried them out in the camp site that night after a few beers...

In the UK I haven't been pulled over since the 80's. As a despatch rider in the City of London saw a bike cop sitting on his steed staring at me as I rode by. Somewhat transfixed by this I sailed though a red light :banghead: Needless to say he waved me down... UK licence has DoB on it as part of your licence number, as luck would have it it was my birthday (365:1) and with a full apologetic atonement on my part for the offence I was let off.

Like @dansoarr says; a bit of politeness and a positive attitude goes a long way. Though there will always be the chance of coming up against a cop that has no heart or leniency.

For many years I've taken the attitude of riding respectfully though built up areas but will exercise my bike's capabilities, within reason, in NSL areas where conditions allow. Went to my IAM monthly meeting last night, have been a member since the summer, and collected my certificate for my test, got a First :)

#24 ·
I only carry my licence. Just because its with my debit card and cash.

If I'm riding a race bike (day time mot) then i carry mot and insurance too as its easier to explain why it does not look like a road bike. Of course i have to find somewhere to lean the bike up against.

#27 ·
Some highways don't have HOV and the far left is the "passing lane", people camp out there and don't move back to the right, and travel at 45-55 with NO ONE IN FRONT OF THEM.
Yeah it happens here to.
I found riding in both Italy and Spain most people do move over after passing.

Reactions: falcn
#28 ·
Who doesn't carry their ID and insurance when out riding/driving?
In Massachusetts you have to have insurance, so if you have a valid registration that is your proof of insurance.
I do have a card from my insurance company, but don't necessarily carry it on my person when I am riding.

#30 ·
Wow F the UK speed cameras. Jeez.

I got pulled over last year. 92 in a 65 :toothless
At least he got me after I had decelerated a bit right? >:)

It was a NHP (Nevada Highway Patrol) and it was at 8am so morning commute time so I had to make a $300 donation to their retirement fund. No points so meh.

Other times, I go looking for cops :surprise: (scavenger hunt photo op)
One asked if he could take it for a spit and I said only if I can chase on yours, lights and sirens wailin. He dejected said I can't do that lol

Before that, man like 7 years or so. And I had 70k miles on my old bike, so it isn't like I didn't try. Just don't be too stupid and NHP leaves you alone mostly.

#31 ·
Most of you blokes would end up in gaol in Australia.

When a friend heard I had an MV he told me of Baron Von Grumpy's adventures on an F4. It seems that the Swiss polis spoiled their party, I believe it was a 4000 UK pound fine for 38kph over the limit. Sumthink like that.

#32 ·
I simply can not incriminate myself as no such thing has happened... okay once during a heavy heavy downpour ducking for cover under an overpass along Interstate 95 in Pennsylvania. Yup, I road a short distance on the paved shoulder during a major traffic jam. In court, the trouper joked with the judge about golfing together. I lost. I 'was' an easy target.

#37 ·
about 2002 in wales driving a box transit van with only 3 gears

well I wouldn't say 'stopped' he waved at me to slow down :)

In nearly 40 years of being a licence holder I appear to have got away with just about everything - never had points just got caught by a speed camera in a car once and did the 'course'

I've jinxed myself now and am expecting some gaol time shortly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.