Need Some Advice - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Need Some Advice

Hi everyone,
Looking into a 2010+ F4 (only model that could make me buy older would the 1078 312rr) or an F3 800 2014+. Which of the 2 had less known “issues” and how easy are they ironed out in each model? Low speed fueling can be fixed with a power commander or just a new map from MV? F4 overheating can be sorted with a fan upgrade? Sprag clutch with the F3 still a problem or mostly sorted through recalls? Please let me know if I am missing anything here and any experiences anyone has with these bikes. Anything would help.

I would be riding it to work every so often and taking it on fun rides as well obviously. I also do have an MV dealer only 15mins from where I live so that’s another reason why I’ve decided to buy an MV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Just buy an F4.... You will not be disappointed.
revhead1957 likes this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:14 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Just buy an F4.... You will not be disappointed.
Ditto!

2013 F4RR
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:59 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to drmasis
Where do you live?

06 F4CC
09 F4 1078RR
15 Multi 1200S
“Try as much as possible to be wholly alive, with all your might, and when you laugh, laugh like hell and when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.”
― William Saroyan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I’m from Sydney, Australia. Don’t quite know how to add that to my profile. Parramatta MV Agusta is about 10mins from where I live so that’s a massive bonus for me.

2010< F4’s seem to have so many mods available for them and I guess that could be perceived as either good or bad depending on how you look at it. I guess because I’m from Sydney, the main thing I want to manage is heat. I know I won’t be able to totally get rid of the heat but I would love to do all I can to somewhat manage it. Which fans are best to add?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Old Wing Nut

You may be surprised to find the heat isn't that big a deal in the real world. Want some heat? try a Ducati Panigale
zzaraxx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Established Member

Location: A place without a postcard, lutruwita aka North Antartica
Gidday Sydney

There is a fella from Lisbon on another thread asking the very same question. (F3 or F4)

I feel fortunate just having been to MV Parra, they are a national MV asset. In my opinion.

There are some reasonably priced F4s on bike sales, the cheapest are generally the std F4 pre-ABS models. Depending upon how much you wish to spend, and how much technology you want, that could be a good place to start. If you are patient, and lucky, as I was, there are always bargains to be had. The good folk at MV Parra may even have something turn up, and in my experience will give you sound and informed advice.

I hesitated at first before buying an MV, but within six months I had bought another, an F4. Wow. Rides take longer then they might because when I stop, I invariably spend a lot of time walking around it, in wonder. You will also have to like talking to other people, recently a woman in her 80s who was walking past commented how 'lovely' it looked. Filling up at the servo always take longer as well, there are always admirers who want to ask about it.

The F4 is much more comfortable than I would have expected, it is not a Turismo Veloce but it is not uncomfortable once you get used to it. The mirrors are more useful for making sure your hair is neat than looking behind you, unless you contort yourself. The quickshift, if fitted, is not to be relied upon if you are going to do something 'heroic', like overtake a long line of cars with traffic approaching.

I find the F4 remarkably tractable, but I suggest you try riding one in traffic before buying one. My first ride on an F4 was in Syd traffic, in did not deter me but I do not ride to work. I have a cycle for that.

I have heard many anecdots about different brands of bike 'getting hot', but that does not mean they are overheating, they are just shedding that heat, and it is most keenly felt by the rider. Imagine Brisbane traffic in summer! F4s do not like traffic, mine certainly doesn't, it gets hot quickly, (not overheating, just hot) and fuel economy, which is actually very good (15-19 kpl), plummets in traffic and on short rides. Once moving at about 80kph, the heat & temp gauge subside. The reality if that Japanese bikes are much less troubled with traffic and summer. Dunno why.

regards Scott
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Yes you are 100% right. I had the pleasure of riding a friends Panigale for a week as he loaned it to me whilst he went away on holiday and I found the heat on that bike bearable as long as I flared my knees off the bike every so often to let some air onto the insides of my legs so I don't think heat will bother me all too much.

As far as reliability, I just sold my RVF400 NC35 and that was my daily rider. Carb bike as old as me (literally) and although it needed to be tinkered with constantly and would barely crank over some mornings, I still loved the hell out of it and the fact that it was headache of a bike didn't really bother me because of how it looked and how it handled. So even if the MV wasn't so reliable I still don't think that would deter me.

I've been to MV Parra a few times and actually had a quick chat to one of the lads on the phone who gave me some sound advice. Pleasure to deal with and I haven't even given them a cent (yet). Comfort won't be too much of an issue as I am 25 and keep fit so my back and wrists will allow a sport bike posture for years to come, hopefully.

I have seen a few 2015 models advertised at $17k (a beautiful grey 2012 model with 5000kms, an arrow corse exhaust and carbon bits just sold a day before I inquired about it for $13,500. I was disheartened but am very patient and don't mind waiting for the right one) but the highest I'd go would be $15k which I believe can buy me a very good example of an F4. Lithium battery should be the first thing to add if it hasn't been added already from what I understand? Pre-purchase inspection necessary by a mechanic if possible?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Buy it.

2009 F4 RR 1078 312
2005 F4 Tamboweenie
2005 F4 1000S
1999 Aprilia RS50
1996 Ducati 916
1959 MV Agusta TREL 125 Centomila

PAST - 2013 F4RR, 2008 F4 312R, 2005 F4 1000S, 1999 F4 750 S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Old Wing Nut

Lithium battery is not a absolute must do item. A good battery is required, but a quality and properly serviced AGM battery will do just fine.

The ONLY real advantage of a lithium battery is weight. Not worth the premium over a Yuasa AGM in my opinion. The YTZ10 Yuasa batteies in my bikes last 8+ years and start the bike every time.
Had a Shorai in my SPR track bike when I bought it...with the Shorai dedicated charger it lasted 5 years. There is a Yuasa in it now.

So if the battery in the bike is good, spend your money elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode