AMA: Oppose tariffs on EU motorcycles, parts, and accessories - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By flexnow36

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down AMA: Oppose tariffs on EU motorcycles, parts, and accessories

From AMA:

The Office of United States Trade Representative, as part of a dispute over aircraft subsidies, has proposed 100 percent tariffs on motorcycles imported from countries in the European Union with an engine size between 500cc and 700cc, along with parts and accessories.

The American Motorcyclist Association is joining others in the motorcycling community to oppose the USTRís latest ill-conceived proposal. Motorcyclists should not be penalized with exorbitant tariffs because of an unrelated trade dispute. Any trade sanctions imposed as a result of this dispute should come from more closely related industries or products.

To oppose this tariff, the AMA is asking our members to sign this petition. The petition will be presented to the USTR to demonstrate the motorcycling publicís opposition to the proposal. Please take a moment and complete the form below to protect the future of motorcycling.

Motorcyclists who depend on parts from Europe to keep their motorcycles in safe, working order will face increased cost and decreased availability under this proposal. This will result in motorcyclists putting off critical maintenance and will keep their vehicles off the road, negatively affecting the countless small businesses that depend on motorcycle-based tourism. Additionally, this proposed tariff will cause serious, and potentially irreversible, harm to American small- and medium-sized business owners selling the motorcycles, parts and accessories.

Should the availability of products be hindered through unjustified trade sanctions on European-produced motorcycles, dealerships may close, leaving countless Americans without jobs. The negative effects of the proposed trade sanctions will not only harm the motorcycle sales industry, but will spread through the aftermarket equipment sector, recreation equipment sales, the sports entertainment industry and further down the line.

Petition link: https://cqrcengage.com/amacycle/app/...ementId=501480

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
.................................................. .....................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)

Location: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:33 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
opps something went wrong error. ???

2018 MV F3 675 Avio Grey

"That pistol just kept saying, let go of my ears, you don't know what you're doing." -thehellbringer
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpNyC View Post
opps something went wrong error. ???
How so? Link works.

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
.................................................. .....................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)

Location: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:05 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
This all began back in April... I signed the petition then.

Thank you Trump....

Here's another link from the other side of the pond:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...ted-us-tariffs

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:29 AM

Why only between 500cc and 700cc ?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
Why only between 500cc and 700cc ?
So it won't hurt Harley... The get parts for their bikes from China and other countries.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:11 PM

New Site Garage
Somewhat old news that is not likely to ever see the light of day. You guys aren't up on negotiation tactics are you. When Trump threatened to raise tariffs on the euro/Japanese cars MB, BMW, Audi, VW and the Japanese manufacturers came down so hard on their governments they decided it might be best to come to the table and talk. This was just another move to make them squirm a little more. He hasn't raised the tariff's on cars yet either but also hasn't taken it off the table. And yes, he's protecting an American manufacturer. I don't see the harm in that.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
G. P. R.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingertight View Post
Somewhat old news that is not likely to ever see the light of day. You guys aren't up on negotiation tactics are you. When Trump threatened to raise tariffs on the euro/Japanese cars MB, BMW, Audi, VW and the Japanese manufacturers came down so hard on their governments they decided it might be best to come to the table and talk. This was just another move to make them squirm a little more. He hasn't raised the tariff's on cars yet either but also hasn't taken it off the table. And yes, he's protecting an American manufacturer. I don't see the harm in that.
Let's see what the negotiation genius in the White House will be achieving with this protectionism. It should be about competition for the best products, not for the most inpredictable import duties. That is not negotiation tactics, that is just a big theatre for his voters.

It was for sure not the German "discount" cars that have ruined the American manufacturers. And noone honestly can think that constant threatening of a 25% car tax or 100% motorcycle tax will solve the problems of the Detroit and Milwaukee based companies. The European Union has already offered to reduce their import duties on US cars down to 0%. As this offer has not been gladly accepted, this just unveils that it has never been about fair trade.

The Chinese are laughing at both the US and the EU for wasting time on this back and forth while they are both copycatting and overtaking our industries by storm.
esq'z me likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:12 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexnow36 View Post
Let's see what the negotiation genius in the White House will be achieving with this protectionism. It should be about competition for the best products, not for the most inpredictable import duties. That is not negotiation tactics, that is just a big theatre for his voters.

It was for sure not the German "discount" cars that have ruined the American manufacturers. And noone honestly can think that constant threatening of a 25% car tax or 100% motorcycle tax will solve the problems of the Detroit and Milwaukee based companies. The European Union has already offered to reduce their import duties on US cars down to 0%. As this offer has not been gladly accepted, this just unveils that it has never been about fair trade.

The Chinese are laughing at both the US and the EU for wasting time on this back and forth while they are both copycatting and overtaking our industries by storm.
Sorry, I've been gone a while. You've managed to make a complex issue oversimplified and it's not protectionism...it's fair trade which is not about just taxing the cars from the US. You're missing the other 80% of the issue. Second, protecting Detroit is just a sideline. Again, it's about fair trade which goes beyond one specific industry. But cars and motorcycles imported to the US are more important to Germany than the other way around so a smart negotiator hits you where it will hurt the most and with the industries that have significant influence on your government.

I'm pretty sure China and the EU aren't laughing. Their economies depend significantly more on us than ours does on them. The EU has been on a comparative downside for almost a decade and the only thing China had was to devalue their currency.

2014 F4 RR
2008 Yamaha Raider S
1982 Suzuki GS850L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode