Disappointed - Page 5 - MVAgusta.net
 124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrilp400 View Post
It always dismays and disappoints me when some one says, I have to sell my MV, Ducati, ................ bike as I just don't ride it enough. Well, ride it!, that fixes that problem! If I can ride this lot on a regular basis, surely you can ride yours. Its not that difficult, I'm an average bloke and I'm on one on a daily basis. Anyway, I'm off for a ride.
My take on this is that said individuals are just not that interested in riding any more, simple as that.
When young I rode my bikes all the time in any weather. Now at nearly 52 yrs old since my job changed and I lost my shift hours(tired often now) my semi old man riding has gone down to 1000 miles a year.

There are several factors(excuses if you like) as to why I don't ride much now and I have been asking myself why this is so recently. One; I just don't need it as much, two; it is not as much fun partly because of busy roads and the Police(commuting is not for me), three; tiredness and injuries(limits my riding distance). But there is something else, a little fear has crept in, when younger I had no fear, but now I think it's the Police and loosing my licence.

I see my bike as a beautiful exotic toy and a ride is a nice treat and an escape when I am in the mood. I believe that I will while I can always have a bike. Most importantly I don't see a time coming when I never need to take an exotic Italian beauty for a spin even if it gets rarer, and if I ever get the money together I want a nice light weight naughty 2 stroke.

F4 750 1+1 2000 model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 AM

New Site Garage
Your scenario is exactly what I felt about flying. I didn't need it. I love, love flying, but there is so much to know, to fear, to spend and my wife wouldn't go with me.

With the bike, it is scary out there, especially when I ride with my sons in traffic. I've been riding since the age of seven and could never see giving it up, dirt bikes or the MV. My wife understands. She has plenty of shoes.

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 PM

When I got married (at 18!) my wife forced me to sell my bike. I did. I subscribed to Cycle World as well as Sport Bike magazine and read them regularly. After 10 years, she relented. I didn’t even ask . . . she just told me if I wanted one I should go buy one. I’ve had one ever since, and even yesterday as we were talking about getting a boat, I suggested selling my bike to fund it. She said absolutely not! Shocked me. She said I’ve wanted an MV for so long and now I finally have one. She doesn’t want me to give up on my dream. Said we might even put it in our house one day! What a woman. So thankful I made the 10 year sacrifice so I could enjoy these years now.

And just as an aside, she has 5 brothers who all raced flat track. One of them purchased a street bike and was t-boned by an old guy with an oxygen tank about a week after buying the bike. This was her reasoning at the time for asking me to sell my bike. I guess time healed that wound for her.
cruiser and esq'z me like this.
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
I'm confused.

Does that mean she really supports your bike interests, OR, does she just want rid of you for a while!!
Aaaaaahhhhhhh hoping she supports my bike interest.........
nigelrb likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 PM

New Site Garage
I guess everyone's circumstances are different, not every rider is middle aged and divorced or wanting to get divorced.

I completely understand why people sell their bikes because they aren't riding them, even if you own it outright its still expensive (in NSW Australia)

My F3 675 cost:
Insurance $856 P.A
Registration + Green Slip $410 P.A
Basically $110 per month + storage

My situation: I'm 37 years old, work full-time which includes a lot of travel, married (12 years) wife also works full-time, we have 15 month old daughter.

When I am home over a weekend I enjoy spending time with my family I actually still love my wife an enjoy spending time with her, this is not something that can happen if I'm out of my F3,

Basically since April 2018 I've traveled 703 Km that equates to roughly $2.35 per Kilometer + fuel and maintenance!!

I haven't stop riding because I've lost the passion or don't enjoy riding, unfortunately with it being a solo activity I find it hard to partake in such a selfish activity.

Now I am lucky enough to be in a position to be able to park my bike up and my wife doesn't apply any pressure on me to sell it, and believe you me a I won't be selling it.

BUT if there does come a time to sell, it will most likely be because I don't have the time to ride.
dansoarr likes this.

Chris
Tasty F3

4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul

2012 F3 675
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:20 PM

New Site Garage
interesting topic you need to use these bikes , they are meant to be used, not put in a shed
in the hope they will make money , as i am also getting older with 5 worn discs, sciatica, arthritis , and nerve damage
in right arm, i still go out on mine but sertinley feel it the next day. Riding that bike is a full work out, but i would never get rid , it also looks so good if i had the money i would buy them all up use them and put them on display, many manufactures try to copy but fail there's nothing like an MV Agusta i,m part of my Brutale and its part of me .
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv raptor View Post
interesting topic you need to use these bikes , they are meant to be used, not put in a shed
. . .
The well-worn cliche of 'they're meant to be used, not put in a shed' raises its head once again.

Why is it that those who choose to effectively preserve their bikes rather than rack up 50,000 miles or kilometres per year are castigated for their actions?

Why are we condemned for choosing to enjoy our motorcycle (whether MV or any other marque) because of the troupe who view an unridden or rarely ridden bike as wasted?

I did only 887 miles on my F4 last year. It presently sits in my lounge room until I will again re-register it for a month or so and have as much enjoyment from the bike in that month as I did in the preceding 11 months. This is nothing about 'making money'; it is treasuring the bike as I wish to use it.

Such statements of telling US what to do with OUR bikes is, in my opinion, both ill-mannered and disrespectful to those with differing ideals within the motorcycle community.

Interestingly, if I proposed the opposite view of: 'These bikes are meant to be stored, not used,' I would be met with a threadful of criticism as I similarly expect from this response. In reality, I would not have the audacity to inflict such a wounding wish upon a fellow member.
Attached Images

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:34 AM

New Site Garage
I am with you Nigel, F4 did 294 miles last year and the Brutale zero, but I have and love them. This year the Brutale will get a few miles but its the pride of ownership that I like the most, the fettling and the riding is a bonus. Could not care for their value as its worth nothing to me as I wont sell them.

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO Chris View Post
I am with you Nigel, F4 did 294 miles last year . . .
Damn!! I'm doing too many miles.

Guess I'll have to muster some discipline. (Pretty easy today; pouring rain. )

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:17 AM

nicely put nigel

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode