July Practical Sportbikes F4 750 test UK Suzuki engine not Ferrari based ?? - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By silentservice703
  • 2 Post By esq'z me
  • 7 Post By flexnow36

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
July Practical Sportbikes F4 750 test UK Suzuki engine not Ferrari based ??

So this months issue of Practical sportsbikes in the UK has a three way test between an F4 750 Ducati 996 and a Benelli tornado tre.

In the write up it says that the F4 engine is not Ferrari derived but is a design influenced by a pre-SRAD watercooled engine! they actually say it sounds like an old slabbie or slingshot motor!

Quote from text in issue:

"It could be a gsx-r from the spec .And in fact,it's loosely inspired by one:contrary to popular misconception.the motor is not Ferrari developed . instead the engineers studied the pre SRAD watercooled GSX-r motor and took a lot of inspiration from that motor.Indeed ,when you flick the fast idle lever it grumbles and rustles from cold just like an old Slabbie or Slingshot."

Now I am not sure about this as the Slabbies/Slingshots were all oil air cooled to me me but has anyone got an opinion ?

Has anyone heard of this or is it more Myth as everything I have read is it has influences of Ferrari ie Radial valves but Suzuki ?

Keep your MV in good repair: motorcycle boots are not designed for walking.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AgustaRod; 07-02-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:58 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Those writers have no clue......they are idiots. Where did they get that idea?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Time to read some actual MV Agusta history and development books.
nigelrb likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:56 AM

Notwithstanding the romantic version of events and the desire to retain exclusivity, I would be very surprised indeed if MV did not study the GSXR 750 engine. After all, it was the engine to beat at the time and race proven.

And the specs suggest that the 99 models shared broadly the same bore, stroke and power outputs.

However, how much the Suzuki specs actually influenced MV is another story.

Proud owner of a 2015 F4 and a graduate of the school of 'stupid hurts!'
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
I rate it appalling journalism when I writer quotes a fact: 'And in fact,it's loosely inspired by one:contrary to popular misconception.the motor is not Ferrari developed . . . ' but neglects to annex any supporting document or authority of how such a 'fact' was uncovered.

This, to me, is clear evidence of how a story will change when passed and regurgitated down the line.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
And all this time I thought the MV used a Honda engine....
gotfolk and nigelrb like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
in my experience of the motor trade mainly cars the Italians have had no issue developing engines and some vehicles have been very successful I for one have a few MV books and they all say the same that the Ferrari influence is there essentially they to half a V6 and studdied it found the block wanting but the head design good and re-engineered accordingly .

I am happy to perpetuate the Ferrari myth even though the bike is full of Japanese parts on my 1st gen. Nissin brakes Nippondenso alternator etc.

Keep your MV in good repair: motorcycle boots are not designed for walking.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 01:54 AM

I do not know this publication, but every German magazine or book that portrayed MVA stated basically the same story:

- The bike was initially intended to be marketed as a Cagiva bike in the early 1990s when development began. At that time the Castiglioni Family did not even have the brand rights of MV Agusta.
- Castiglioni started development with support of Ferrari with the idea, potentially marketing it as a Cagiva/Ferrari superbike.
- Ferrari contributed engine concepts, one of These being a derivate of their 1990 F1 engine
- The engine concepts were quickly considered to be not suitable for a superbike, so Castiglioni brought in a Ducati engineer, Andrea Goggi who then added major revisions which led to changing from 5 to 4 valves, re-organizing intake/exhaust layout, etc.
- As they had already realized the "cut F1 engine" layout did not prove to be the ideal solution, they started looking left and right
- The Suzuki GSX-R750 engine was considered the benchmark, so they took some inspiration from that layout as well. But Goggi packaged a lot of things differently.
- It resulted in a final engine layout that took inspirations from both the Ferrari F1 engine and the Gixxer, but only Ferrari was at an early stage actively involved in the conceptual phase, even though the end product only has the radial valves as family tie to the Maranello engine. The Suzuki influence can be considered normal competitive intelligence, which all companies do.

An English article about that can be found here:

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news...ss-intro-1999/
The Following User Says Thank You to flexnow36 For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:03 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to christosc
Don't waste your money buying comics magazines of that sort.

2012 F4 RR Corsacorta

1995 Kawasaki GPz500S
1998 Yamaha R1 (White) Sold
1999 Kawasaki ZX6R Sold
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:07 PM

I always suspected that F4 was an abbreviation of 'Fuzuki 4 cylinders'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in