Puncture - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Puncture

Last week I experienced a rather fast deflection of the rear tyre whilst in the outside lane of a motorway. One second I was nipping along then the front seemed to go light which rapidly developed into rear fish tailing. Luckily I managed to keep the bike upright and gingerly got the bike to the hard shoulder as quickly as I could. On inspection the tyre was completely deflated and I could see a small rear in the middle section. With no repair kit on me I had to wait 1.5hrs before being recovered home. Whilst I've been riding 20+ years this my first puncture and it's made me consider how best to prepare for any future events. I've looked at a traditional repair kit and the tyre sealant which you inject directly into the tyre. Interested in any views on these options?
nigelrb likes this.

Previous bikes
Yam FSIE
Kaw KH250
Yam DT175
Suz GSX600
Honda Firestorm
Honda Fireblade
Aprilla RSV Factory
Ducati Multistrada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:00 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
The treated rope or rubber plug with a CO2 cartridge has worked well for everyone I know who has had the need.

I don't think I would use and injectable sealant unless there was no other way. My experiences with that on lawn equipment tires has been terrible.
esq'z me and Kageira like this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Established Member

I've managed to avoid punctures on a bike (no doubt that will now be rectified on my next ride!!). I always try to carry a limited plug kit and a couple of 'air' cartridges to get sufficient volume into the tyre before getting properly inflated. I know the recommendation is mostly to replace the tyre and not run with a plug but I've known guys to do fast road riding on a plugged tyre with no issue, you just need to be sensible on where the puncture is, i.e. no plugging on or near the sidewalls (obviously)... I wouldn't use the tyre sealant 'spray', too bulky and used it on a car tyre a fews years back and when I took to my deal to get a 'proper' puncture repair they said that wasn't possible as the sealant in effect knackers the inside of the tyre for the purposes of a tyre patch. I though this was BS but have heard others told the same story by other tyre repair places. I assume the same deal for a bike tyre.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...nt_prod/101778

F3 800 MY16

Last edited by Anamorphic; 06-03-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Add URL
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:44 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Who ever replaces your tire with the sealer goop in it will hate you !!!

The road side emergency plug kit (essentially automotive stuff with CO2 cartridges to inflate) work great to get you home....as long as it is just a small puncture. Cuts, large holes or damage in the sidewall are not repairable.

A "patch/plug" or "mushroom plug" installed from inside the tire will make a permanent repair that I would not hesitate to ride on until the tread is worn out. Most dealers won't do it because their lawyers tell them not to, but it can be easily done....once the tire is removed.
cruiser and Teeps like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Established Member

I used oko whilst a bike courier In the 80s and nevet suffered any punctures...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablotv View Post
oko?

2018 Husky 701 Supermoto
2018 Aprilia Tuono 1100
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:38 PM
Established Member

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:58 AM

As has been said, tyre fitters hate the sealant gloop and it goes everywhere.

That said, they are a simple and cost effective method of getting you to a garage / bar.

The roadside plugs (not the ones installed by tyre shops) are IMO fiddly and you need a few co2 cartridges to inflate a decent size rear tyre.

Proud owner of a 2015 F4 and a graduate of the school of 'stupid hurts!'
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 03:20 AM

I never ride anywhere without my plugs and co2. Saved me on many occasions. I've also used them for fast road riding. Im confident in my own tyre work and regularly inspect it.

Deffo get a tyre repair kit and keep it on you

Kag

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:41 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Users of V, W, Y, Z rated tyres should avoid using any sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablotv View Post
Their website says "Users of V, W, Y, Z rated tyres should avoid using any sealant." so I'm guessing that counts most MV users out? Shame seems great product.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode