First Impression - 2016 Brutale 1090 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

First Impression - 2016 Brutale 1090

Picked up the bike yesterday from Hampshire from where I had a bit of a slog home, up the M27, M3 & round the M25. But was impressed with the comfort (once I’d worked out the best way to lock in the lower body) and ability of the bike to sit at fair sped without too much wind buffeting.

In the first few gears I felt the bike wanted to run away with me, so basically short shifted quickly to a higher gear and used the torque of the engine, which was a pleasant surprise. OK, it really takes off after 7k but there’s good usable power below this. My only other though was that maybe the rear end could do with softening a tad. So will get some miles under my belt over the coming week and I'm really looking forward to riding what from my initial jaunt will be a very engaging bike.

However I do have a question regarding the service history. It was first registered in March 2016 and had the dealer service at 500 miles (I have the MV service sheet for this). Since then it has covered an additional 1750 miles but no further services seemed to have been completed. No paperwork or physical log book for the bike.

The supplying dealer (non MV) serviced by the last week (oil, filter, coolant brake fluids) but without a service book stamped the warranty card and noted the above tasks. Would MV have supplied a service log book with the bike?

Previous bikes
Yam FSIE
Kaw KH250
Yam DT175
Suz GSX600
Honda Firestorm
Honda Fireblade
Aprilla RSV Factory
Ducati Multistrada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:22 AM

New Site Garage
I believe the latest bikes have their servicing recorded via MV online and also via a USB.

I may be wrong but think this is the case

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipple666 View Post
I believe the latest bikes have their servicing recorded via MV online and also via a USB.

That might explain the USB stick included in product documentation presentation box! Would not surprise me if it was on-line. I've not had a physical service book for my last two cars!

Previous bikes
Yam FSIE
Kaw KH250
Yam DT175
Suz GSX600
Honda Firestorm
Honda Fireblade
Aprilla RSV Factory
Ducati Multistrada
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 PM

New Site Garage
It makes sense, but the service book for the gen 1 F4 isn't exactly easy to lose. It probably weighs a couple of kilos on it's own.
Maybe they are trying expecting you to service them twice a year.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipple666 View Post

So that must be the way of the future. I'd never even considered info technology taking over the stamped service book.

Just as general info, my 2018 Honda came with the conventional book. I guess they're behind the times.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Motorcycles in the USA do not come with service log books. Dealers keep all records on their own. It's up to the customer to keep his records (invoices, repair orders).

And the distributors only track warranty claims. They do not track routine service.

MVs used to come with log books, but it is antiquated and they don't anymore. Autos have maintenance log pages in the owner manuals, but dealers don't fill them out unless asked.

Just keep your receipts. That is all that is needed.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Dealer - Service history

My bike was originally supplied by Hampshire MV Augusta, which stopped trading in 2017. I was alarmed to learn that prior to going under they supplied a number of bikes without paying the factory for them. So people were riding around on bikes they didn't actually own. Luckily my bike wasn't one of them, but a really concerning situation.

Good advice about getting receipts from the dealer as apparently the electronic service records are not uploaded to a central database. So no chance of getting any information if the dealer has disappeared.

Previous bikes
Yam FSIE
Kaw KH250
Yam DT175
Suz GSX600
Honda Firestorm
Honda Fireblade
Aprilla RSV Factory
Ducati Multistrada

Last edited by UKBrutman; 05-11-2019 at 03:48 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:28 AM

Cars have had electronic service records for a good few years. As advised above and as I have found out, you must keep all records/receipts from the dealers. The cars I have are leased and when they are handed back they must have the hard copies of the service record or you have to pay extra
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:01 PM

New Site Garage
The service record on my 2015 1090 RR is just an A5 sized cardboard sleeve that came with the bike, with some paperwork in it. Nothing fancy. I would just ask the supplying dealer for service receipt and keep those.

With a new bike there was also a very nice MV presentation box with the user manual, USB stick with all the .pdf of manuals, accessory catalogues etc, lanyard, key ring, spare key.

cheers
bogie
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBrutman View Post
However I do have a question regarding the service history. It was first registered in March 2016 and had the dealer service at 500 miles (I have the MV service sheet for this). Since then it has covered an additional 1750 miles but no further services seemed to have been completed. No paperwork or physical log book for the bike.
If I am reading this correctly, the bike now has 2250 miles on it. It should not have needed any additional service after the 500 mile "break-in" service. You have a ways to go before any service is scheduled.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in