Motorcycle side stands..... - MVAgusta.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Motorcycle side stands.....

are they always on the left hand side of the bike, if so, is there any good reason for this?

Works fine for those of us who ride/drive on the left, so when you park the bike in the the road (parrellel to the path (with the flow of traffic)), the bike leans in towards the path. If you ride/drive on the right and park the bike on the road, the bike leans into the road.

Funny, the things that cross our minds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
There have been examples of bikes with side stand on the right...but not in a long time. I think it must have to do with global standardization like shift lever on right, brake pedal on left etc.

Right side shifters went away in the mid 70's.....about the last time I saw a right side stand come to think of it.

Once upon a time some bikes (Indian comes to mind) had the throttle on the left grip !! and shifter on the right side of the gas tank..... (Harley was the other way, shifter on the left).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:11 PM

New Site Garage
That would create a whole load of mess in the road if i had that.

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPARAUK View Post
are they always on the left hand side of the bike, if so, is there any good reason for this?
Of course there is, and I am surprised that as an educated 'Cambridge' person you are not aware.

To answer this, we have to regress to the late 1800s when the Penny Farthing bicycle became popular. The means of mounting the bike was from the left hand side. This 'trend' continued through the ages to present times. Most of us will remember receiving our first bicycle as a Christmas or birthday present (or in my case the first stolen one). It became a natural function to mount from the left.

Motor cycle manufacturers in their wisdom took into account this means of mounting and so realised that if the side stand were on the left, it is readily accessible for quick stabilisation of the vehicle.

As @esq'z me rightfully points out, there were some 'rebel' manufacturers (probably American) who chose to buck the trend with the realisation that: 'If we're going to drive on the wrong side of the road and manufacture our cars 'back to front' we might as well follow suit with motorcycles. Within days, the right hand side stand was born. America later 'defaulted' to the left hand side stand after the huge sales success of the Triumph Bonneville in The States. Harley Davidson and others recognised that: 'These Brits have really got it happening over there. Let's change our side stands to the left.'

So there you you have it, @XPARAUK . Feel free to ask me to solve any of your other conumdrums!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:44 PM
Old Wing Nut

Actually....the bikes I remember having right side stands were from Spain !! Maybe Czechoslovakia...... Never saw an American bike with right side stand.

Don't you always mount a horse from the left side? I think that's where the mounting of bikes from the left came. Of course, I have noticed Rossi getting on from the right side occasionally ?!?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:15 PM

New Site Garage
I like this kind of topics… (disclaimer, I'm french, and i'm assuming we are riding on the right side of the road (which is also by the way the right side, as indicated by its name :-D)

Let's assume there is some logic in the position of some stuff on bikes and cars. An English colleague raised to me recently that they invented motorbikes, and that was the reson why they put together the things this way. Some people may object then than Royal Enfield was built with everything on the other side… So assuming there is no actual logic, but at some point standardization made it happening this way… or maybe?

Then this English colleague raised the gear shift was better positioned on the left in cars (which sounds logical when driving on the left side (please hear not on the Right side of the road :-D))… But then, if you look at any racing car: gear shift is generally on the right side, even though those racing cars are built in UK: Then the question is why? Response, most likely : driver's dexterity is required to manipulate gearshift with H-pattern. Now looking at a motorbike: what requires dexterity is basically brakes and throttle, they've been positioned purposely on the right side. By deduction comes the clutch and the gear lever (sequential, less dexterity required) on the left side. Then the position of the left stand may just be a question of conflict with the rear brake master cylinders.

Ultimately, everything seems based on the required dexterity to manipulate the commands...

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:19 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Actually....the bikes I remember having right side stands were from Spain !! Maybe Czechoslovakia...... Never saw an American bike with right side stand.

Don't you always mount a horse from the left side? I think that's where the mounting of bikes from the left came. Of course, I have noticed Rossi getting on from the right side occasionally ?!?!?!
We mount on the left side of the bike as people were doing so on a horse (most likely because of the sword hold on the left of the knight, because they crossed while riding the horse on the left side of the road (and also because it was easier to catch a sword from the right hand while the sword was on the left side (dexterity again))

Marc,
Turismo Veloce in France
Ride with us in Vosges :
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Now I have drawn you into my web..........and as I am an 'educated Cambridge' person (with a name like XPARA, nige, I think you can guess at what point my education left me?)...how about this....

Why on Earth is the front brake lever not on the left handle bar? Who in their right mind would put it next to the throttle (2 of the most important functions of the bike being controlled by one hand!!)?.......grenade in the room...I'm off
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

You try manipulating the clutch and throttle with the same hand whilst starting from a stop on a hill......that should reveal the reasoning.
MarcSilverTriple likes this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
You try manipulating the clutch and throttle with the same hand whilst starting from a stop on a hill......that should reveal the reasoning.

Fair play....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode