Buying a MV Augusta F41000S - NEED ADVICE ASAP - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Buying a MV Augusta F41000S - NEED ADVICE ASAP

Hi, I am in the process of finalizing a sale of a MV F41000S. This bike only has 115 miles on the odometer and the person I am buying it from used it as an art piece in his living room. The bike has not been started in 6 months. Should I be concerned that it has not been started and what should i look for on it? What kind of maintenance should I do once I get it. Is there any reason why not to buy this bike since it has not been used at all since new. Should I fear driving it home, any advice is well appreciated! THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 PM

Change the oil immediatly (and filter), then oil the chain, bleed the brakes (if they are anything other than rock firm) and check the radiator fluid (I would change the fluid in both in the next 2 weeks) Check the tire pressures. Then put fuel in it and go for a ride! The tires MAY be stuffed (technical term used here to describe old rubber that has had a hundred coats of silicon so it looks "pretty"), rubber goes hard over time so be very careful and expect to change those very soon.

Don't forget to ask for the owners manual, tools, and the rear wheel stand (all came with the bike as new)

I have a couple of vintage race bikes that serve as art and once in quite a few years I get them going again, scare myself silly and put them back as works of art.

P.S. Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happiness is Red and Silver.

Last edited by yo_clarkie; 06-17-2009 at 07:39 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard.

Sounds like David answered your questions.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Established Member

Welcome aboard.
I would also check inside the fuel tank for evidence of rust or corrosion. Sometimes if the bike has been standing, and the gas tank is only half full, water vapors rust the inside and neck of the tank. Open the lid and check with a strong light.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 PM

Welcome!

Fuel lines in the tank tend to dissolve too--Take a flashlight with you.

If it were me, I'd trailer it home and give it a thorough going through before riding.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Established Member

ask the owner if he's kept it on a battery tender, when were the fluids last changed, and if he put stabil in the gas tank before parking it for 6 months. typically that's what you do when you "winterize" a track bike, or in his case, park it in his living room. If he didn't do any of that, be wary. personally I'd ask him to start the bike, and maybe run it in 1st and 2nd gear while on the stands at idle.

Also, what year is the bike? Check the "born on" date on the tires. You should see a number like XXYY, where XX is the week and YY is the year. So 5003 means the tire was made on the 50th week of 2003. Press you fingernails into the tire to see how soft it is. Depending on how old it is, getting fresh rubber is cheap insurance.

ask him if his warranty has expired or not. if not, you may be able to get it extended at ur local MV dealer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Established Member

oh, it's the S, so it's an 05 or 06. nevermind the warranty, and you'd be wise to get new tires anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode