UK Riders something to be aware of. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Red face UK Riders something to be aware of.

I took my F4 for it's first MOT yesterday. For those members in the rest of the globe that is a Ministry of Transport annual exam to check the roadworthiness of your Bike/car and is a legal requirement here for every motor vehicle used on the road more than 3 years old.

Many of you will be aware than some police forces have cracked down on registration plates which do not meet the regulations regarding size of Letters/Numbers and the plate's overall size itself, but what you might not be aware of is that irrespective of size, the law now requires that the yellow reflective background of the plate does not have any other image or writing upon it.

I have a plate with the MV logo behind the black numbers and letters. Size wise, it meets the current regulations, but because of the logo the tester said it was now techically an illegal plate and therefore the bike would fail the test with that plate fitted. Apparently a red reflector must also be in place at the rear of the bike, I'd removed the one on the number plate holder!! (Ooopps!)

In my humble opinion it's just another slice of useless beaurocratic nonesense, but technically the Plod can pull you up and fine you. I was totally unaware of this and from the point of view of getting the bike through the test, I have a standard legal plate at home which I can fix to the bike, but I just thought it might save someone here the embarassment of taking what they believe to be a perfectly legal bike for a test and having it fail.

I don't think there's any problem with having a small note or the name of the bike dealership etc. running along the bottom of the plate, I'm referring to the area actually behind the letters and numbers that make up the registration unique to your bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Last edited by john; 06-17-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 AM

having a logo behind the plate has alway been illegal mate. rules have now changed regarding when fitting a new numberplate that there is to be nothing on the plate at all there is a seperate piece off the plate rectangle for advertising etc, but all the required yellow backing has to be virgin apart from the letters and numbers.
With you think its shit and still have my 7x5 plate on my bike did swap at mot but spoke to the tester and told him had a different plate and he said he would pass it. Regards to the reflecter yeah thats true to have a italian flag on the bottom of my plate but didn't have one when i bought it and had just gone thro an mot its all down to the guy who tests it really
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Got the tail tidy on mine with indicators built in, don't think it'll pass come November!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:25 PM

to pass an MOT the plate lettering has to be clear and legible

this may be okay for the mot but actually not legal

like wise you dont need a speedo for an MOT but you do to be legal

yes MOT and legal do vary....but the mot tester should advise you what is legal and whats not and not fail your on the mot

the rear reflector is not required for a daytime mot

Brit Biker with Triumphs and a love of Italians.
138 You are my best friend too.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 PM

True that lights/red reflector is nor required for day MOT, and you would have to be fairly unlucky to be picked up on that by the police. However, if you were to need to make any insurance claim (including one made against you), the words 'best of luck' come to mind.

It's been the case for years that the plate has to be clear of any patterns or logos. The font has to be the one specified (can't remember the name right now, but if you search for 'Mandatory' font, it's very close and a free download. No italics etc. No extra pictures on the side - Euro symbol and a few other exceptions allowed. You have to have the BS AU 145d mark plus the identity of the supplier of the plate.

Any of these can make it an MOT failure - if the tester can be bothered, or is in the business of selling you another pair to bump up the profits. Discount testers sometimes do this.

All this is was brought in to make ANPR more effective, there is concern in government regarding criminality with illegal plates - and motorcycles with mickey mouse plates have been our worst enemy regarding this.

(Says this ANPR Administrator).

Last edited by Harvey; 06-18-2009 at 03:32 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

Talking

Velcro John

remove the small plate for mot and stick on the legal one

velcro works wonders

and on a wild day, just peel of the small numberplate

you get fined exactly the same for NO numberplate (one that has fallen off) as you do for a small numberplate

not that im saying for one minute to ride your bike in the U.K. without a numberplate
as doing that would not be legal

but sometimes numberplates do fall off

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Big Randaddy

pictures gentlemen, pictures.......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Red face

It seems like I've opened a can of worms. It's interesting to hear everyone's views though; I think in my case PC 49 will pull me for the Ti exhaust volume rather than the reg plate. the Pilot Race rear tyre doesn't exactly have a deal of tread on it either, ah well what with speed cameras in vans, helicopters etc. perhaps I should just go out and buy a microlite aircraft instead of the bike.............

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Pay attention, Randy.

We're next.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 04:20 PM

Not in the UK, but have to ask .....

Here in the states (Canada, Mexico, too I think) the gov't simply makes the plate and hands it to you when you register the bike. End of story. Congrats, sir - you are now CX 599 or whatever ... Some states (California) keep the plate with the bike, others (Arkansas) keep the plate with the registered owner, to put on his next machine.

Are you telling me you have to get a number, and then go out and have the plate made to match it? If so, that seems just a tad bit inefficient ..... of course there will discrepancies if there is more than one source ....

You come out of corners with the bike sideways like the Beautiful Holy Mother! -- Valentino Rossi, on racing Superbikes vs. GP

2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200
2006 MV Agusta F41000S
2000 Honda VFR 800 (RIP ...)
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1983 Suzuki XN85 Turbo (x3)
1979 Honda CBX
1977 Laverda 1000 Jota
1974 Norton 850 Commando
1963 Matchless G15/45

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode