Shipping bike to Spain. - MVAgusta.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Shipping bike to Spain.

Has anyone shipped a bike from US to Europe. I am shipping my bike to Spain. They are telling me it will take between 4-6 weeks sailing time. They are charging me 2k to pickup at my house in Memphis, TN and deliver it to Valencia Spain. I will actually be staying in Malaga. I asked if they could drop it off at that port and they couldn't.

If you have experience with shipping a bike, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:41 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Contact member @The_castle via PM. Dave shipped a bike from Georgia, USA to New Zealand.
nigelrb likes this.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
much appreciated silentservice703.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Good luck.

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 03:00 PM

New Site Garage
hello.

Do you have to ship your bike or how important is it to you? There is a shipping port in England and the Netherlands. I was not very successful with other ports and I called many of the top shippers.

Are you going to stay in Spain for an extended period? Renting made sense if we were going to be in Europe for less than three or four weeks.

I researched for months to ship my bike to Germany and return it from Firenze. It does take six weeks or longer, is fairly expensive, no guarantee customs will release your bike when you want, may have to build your own crate to return to the states and you miss your bike for six weeks going and six weeks returning.

The airlines are not cooperative in regards to fuel or oil and they are three thousand and up on fees. When I researched, only Canada Air from Canada, would ship by air.

I just did a ten day trip from Frankfurt to Strasbourg, Black Forrest, Landau, Passo Giau, Stelvio, Umbrail, St. Bernardino, Gavia, Susten, Furka, to Como, Cinque Terre, to Firenze with a one way rental from Allround Rental in Frankfurt.

These guys were super helpful and the bikes, GS1200R and KTM SuperDuke 1290GT were less than 2000 dollars a week each, including miles and one way with pick up. We rode 2400km and it was a thousand turns and I am sure a lot of tire and brake wear.

I wanted my Agusta in Europe really bad, but in the end it was too much trouble.

I hope I addressed some of your concerns, and didn't ramble too much. I get so excited talking about traveling, especially on bikes. Contact me directly if you need to .

Terry_________________________________________
Tecumseh Minibike, SL 70, KE 100, XR250L, KLR650, ST800, XR650L, 525EXC, 450EXC, GS1200R, 2016 TVL 800
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 05:29 PM

Hello

Why Valencia?
Try to find a company that ships it to the port of Algeciras.

Much, much closer to you (Malaga) and one of the busiest container ports in Europe, same level with Valencia's. I mean it has to go through the strait of Gibraltar, so why Valencia?

That being said, I don't know anything about the logistics involved (USA-SPAIN) and why "your" company chooses Valencia.

Malaga city and province is a very nice area to live in. And be a motorcyclist!
Enjoy!

Nes

Last edited by Nesca; 01-28-2019 at 05:48 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:07 PM

Just as an example, here you go:

https://sims-waters.com/shipping-algeciras-spain.php

Quick google search, I do not have any idea if they are good or not! But they ship to Algeciras.

Nes

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Great responses from all. I really appreciate it. I will be in Spain for 3-4 months taking Spanish classes 30 hours a week. I was really hoping to take my bike there. So far I have received quotes ranging form 1,500 - 2,200 one way. The bike is fully paid for. I bought it last October and it is a 2015 800RR with 450 miles on it.

I was thinking of selling it before I leave Spain so I could spare myself the return shipping price. I have no idea the market for these bikes in Spain. If I knew I could get back 80% or more for what I paid for it, I would sell it and buy a 2019 model when I returned to the US. I have to make a decision soon though. ARRRRRRRGGG

I will look up the company that you presented Nesca. Thanks.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopeeco View Post
Great responses from all. I really appreciate it. I will be in Spain for 3-4 months taking Spanish classes 30 hours a week. I was really hoping to take my bike there. So far I have received quotes ranging form 1,500 - 2,200 one way. The bike is fully paid for. I bought it last October and it is a 2015 800RR with 450 miles on it.

I was thinking of selling it before I leave Spain so I could spare myself the return shipping price. I have no idea the market for these bikes in Spain. If I knew I could get back 80% or more for what I paid for it, I would sell it and buy a 2019 model when I returned to the US. I have to make a decision soon though. ARRRRRRRGGG

I will look up the company that you presented Nesca. Thanks.

Generally bikes hold their value very well in Spain. Much better than in France for example(and prices are higher in Spain because of taxes). Owners tend to put lots of kms on them.

But your problem is the US plates. To my knowledge if you go to a dealer he won't accept the bike. You can always change to Spanish plates before trying to sell, but it costs money and time. If you try selling it directly(non-pro buyer)....I don't know. Paperwork headache and they will pressure you on price because of the plates. If you go the dodgy way, again they will kill you on price.

I assumed you were moving for a long time/permanently. For 3-4 months to put yourself through all this, selling in Spain, I don't know if it makes much sense. If you are cool with the expenses of doing USA-SPAIN-USA, I get it. Otherwise...
Terrys409 and nigelrb like this.

Nes

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I hear you Nesca. I just look at it as a once in a lifetime experience. This is my first bike and I bought it for Spain. Damn!!! It is a tough decision. If I knew it would be delivered unharmed in a reasonable time, I would do it. I just don't want to be in Spain and have two months go by and still no delivery of the bike.

From what I was told by the shipping company. There will be a fee of close to 500 dollars and that takes care of all the admin work once it gets to the port. I assumed that if I have the title and the bill of sale, there shouldn't be any hold up at port. The bike is a 2015 and nothing has been altered.

My last question and then I will let this thread die. Will the port charge me anything else like some sort of "luxury tax" if I declare the true value of the bike. I paid 9500 for it and as I said before it has 450 miles. In other words, will I be assessed some sort of outrageous fee to drive it in Spain. I am not going to register it in Spain, that is just way too much hassle.

Regards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in