Italian Superbikes Houston closed today - MVAgusta.net
 22Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Unhappy Italian Superbikes Houston closed today

All,

I just got an email from Brian Kinnear at Italian Superbikes here in Houston, TX USA. They shut down today, closed doors. I bought a new Guzzi from them 2 years ago and new Brutale RR Dragster in August. Now what? Anyone have any idea where I can get maintenance on these bikes, or warranty work? It sucks. Best I know, the nearest dealer is Austin, TX.
I have a mind to just sell both bikes and buy a japanese bike from one of the Houston dealers.

Crap. I am just gutted.

Advice?

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....
2018 MV Agusta 800 Brutale RR-- "Betttina" in Giallo-Nero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:41 PM

New Site Garage
Dude. It's just a dealer. My closest MV dealer is 175 miles. My closest Norton dealer is 400 miles. It'll be fine. Take a breath. Move on.
albymangled, Marko G. and vtomi48 like this.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:33 AM

This is where the "passion" kicks in...

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
Special thanks to forum member Donsy
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:44 AM
Established Member

Nobody is buying motorcycles in general, much less the Italian stuff. Bimota closed in 2017 and Modus - a US bike - closed in Sep 18 after only 3 yrs. Don't know how anybody that sells bikes is still in business over the last two yrs. My dealer is getting rid of Suzuki and, when I visit his shop, nobody is in there. Harley has been down 5% for each of the last five yrs in gross sales and the latest Q was down 13%. Triumph is about the only one who is at least holding its own. I will be surprised if Moto Guzzi and or MV is around in 3-5 yrs and I have a $25k F4 Ago.

Your options, of course, are limited. You won't get much for the MV stuff due to the limited dealer network, the cost, the parts issues, the risk and the overall crappy market. You can learn to work on the bikes yourself which is what I do but of course there are certain things you simply cannot do. I try to find independents that I trust - either individuals or private dealers but this can be scarce and risky. Nevertheless, the basic maintenance on these things is pretty straightforward - tires, batts, oil etc and these parts are generic. So, if you like your bike, I would ride it and buy parts that you know you will need in the future. I don't have much advice on the warranty work. We bought these expensive and off brand bikes and now we have to live with the consequences of having to send it to Zimbabwe for serious service or warranty.
Edward and anothermvfanatic like this.

RC
Failure is not an option

2016 Tri Thruxton R
2005 Ago F4 1000
2005 BMW 1200GS
1995 Duc 916
1994 Bim DB2
1986 Duc MHR Mille
1983 BMW R100S
1975 Hon 400
1975 BMW R90S
1974 Duc 750 Sport
1972 Hon 750
1966 Hon S90
1965 Duc Monza
1971 Norton 750
1971 BMW R75
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 AM

To have MV and Guzzi leave a market the size of Houston is not a good sign but if the demand is really there another one will pop right up or will be picked up by one of the existing power sport dealers. Even a solid market such as LA with year round riding weather isnít immune to dealer closures - Ducati Westlake just closed their doors.

Take time and look for a good indie service. Also, you may find techs who know MV working for Ducati, etc. However, in the end I tend to agree with Rob. Buying anything exotic or limited production, off mainstream, always carries risk that that brand may disappear from the market altogether. How I know? Alfa Romeo (before they returned to the US market), Moto Morini, Cagiva, Bimota (sold my SB8R, still have the YB10), etc. Anyway, if you love it you will find a way to maintain it.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
We have had dealers fall over in UK also, in particular a very good one near Silverstone Raceway.

As others have said, the 'passion' must override the simplicity of having a close dealer. There can be great techs hidden among other private workshops. I did some exploring and found a good one. With a little leg work I'm sure you'll come out of this ahead.

There's no secret on here that I love my Hondas, but to suggest foregoing both an MV and Guzzi IN FAVOUR of a Japanese bike is, to me, a backward move, both from a personal and financial perspective.

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 03:56 PM

The Harley Deal put 100 million dollars in MVs pocket not counting Harley putting 100 million in plant upgrades ,retooling , model designs and MV grew tremendously for 5-6 years afterwards so they should be able to weather the storm for a good while . Also the restructure went well and MV was awarded excellent tax breaks . Italian Government is known for helping auto/motorcycle industry. Great political PR the Italian people LOVE there cars and motorcycles.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Harley Deal put 100 million dollars in MVs pocket not counting Harley putting 100 million in plant upgrades ,retooling , model designs and MV grew tremendously for 5-6 years afterwards so they should be able to weather the storm for a good while . Also the restructure went well and MV was awarded excellent tax breaks . Italian Government is known for helping auto/motorcycle industry. Great political PR the Italian people LOVE there cars and motorcycles.
This is a good case as to why MV may be around for longer than the others and I agree that Italy has always favored the automotive end of their economy. OTOH, every IT automaker - cars or bikes - has undergone some sort of reorg, acquisition, bankruptcy, sale, investor recompostion or outright bye bye. Every last one of them. Name one who is still in business on their own. I can't.

RC
Failure is not an option

2016 Tri Thruxton R
2005 Ago F4 1000
2005 BMW 1200GS
1995 Duc 916
1994 Bim DB2
1986 Duc MHR Mille
1983 BMW R100S
1975 Hon 400
1975 BMW R90S
1974 Duc 750 Sport
1972 Hon 750
1966 Hon S90
1965 Duc Monza
1971 Norton 750
1971 BMW R75
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
All,

Thanks for some helpful and encouraging comments. Brian the owner did leave an email and phone contact, and he responded to my questions. He does still have diagnosis equipment. He said he hopes to reopen MV franchise in Houston, in the future. Fact is, the motorcycle market is very, very poor. Not enough old rich guys that love Italian bikes I guess. For now I will not panic, but I truly valued the shop as friends. Second time in six years MV and Guzzi have gone poof in Houston, TX: 4th largest city in USA.
We will see what happens.
Edward and Marko G. like this.

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....
2018 MV Agusta 800 Brutale RR-- "Betttina" in Giallo-Nero
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:21 AM
Established Member

New Site Garage
Our MV dealer in Adelaide is now a part of a Yamaha outlet also selling Royal Enfield and some scooters.
They have a few MV's of really top grade as their new selection and seem to keep the second hand ones at the Yamaha dealer (which is only about a mile up the road).

Although these folks have a smaller setup than the previous dealer (who is the largest motorcycle outlet in SA, carrying a myriad of brands including Harley, Triumph, Suzuki, Honda, Vespa..blah blah) they seem more interested in the brand and show more of the passion we all share, rather than the corporate "don't give a damn" attitude the previous dealer had.

Strangely size doesn't ALWAYS matter!

If you look around and chat to the mechanics / service managers of the other Italian bike dealers, you will be sure to find someone either with, or with links to a competent MV tech.

As for sell up and buy Jap..?
Well if that's what you really want to do...me, I have two Itai's, a HD and an old Bonneville and I find it very enjoyable to (slowly but surely) maintain them to the best of my ability as I have done for over 40 years.

Currently in the shed...

2007 F4 312R Black / White / Red.
2012 HD FXDWG 103 Blue Flames
2013 Ducati Diavel Very Black Metallic
1981 Triumph T140 Bonneville Maroon / Cream.
1973 Yamaha CT3 175 chook chaser

Adelaide...Sarf-A-Straylia

Last edited by albymangled; 01-14-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: grammar / spelling correction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in