To Ride or Collect? - Page 3 - MVAgusta.net
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsOrBikes View Post
I got a load of flak for registering my Mondial Piega, people saying I destroyed the value, and those interested in buying it will use the same remarks to low ball me.
What a beautiful bike, is it for sale now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
What a beautiful bike, is it for sale now?
No John, you don't NEED another bike.

Oh, by the way, @CarsOrBikes , the Colin Edwards is a beautiful bike too, is it for sale now?
anothermvfanatic likes this.

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelrb View Post
No John, you don't NEED another bike.

Oh, by the way, @CarsOrBikes , the Colin Edwards is a beautiful bike too, is it for sale now?
Ni Nigel, I don't, but I've only ever seen one Mondial out and about, that was several years ago. I'd never seen anything like it. I would defo ride one of those if I owned one, arthritis or not.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MONDIAL-P...-/253700146116

2007 MV F4 1000R
2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2011 CBR1000RR : 2004 CBR1000RR : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 05:10 PM
Established Member

I suspect that's been down, I can only say be cautious. Maybe compare pictures of the original bikes found on the web in detail. See rear indicators, bar ends, clip ons, suspect right footpeg…

Mine weren't for sale although my attitude is generally that everything is for sale really. More so since my accident in June I guess. I did advertise it some time ago. If you saw one in the North West it could be mine but there are a few now perhaps. I only saw one exactly the same as mine for sale in the south of France some years ago, registered before mine and with a couple of thousand km, the only others I could find were sold earlier on, one in the Middle East, another in Germany. One in a collection too, U.S. iirc.

You guys interested will likely already know there were only initially 120 Piega's plus 2 Evo models, out of 120, 11 went missing, then press and race bikes etc. I don't know if there's any truth in the Mondial factory only producing 35 bikes before the company was sold, this was to people that assembled some more under a slightly different company name I gather. With remaining parts it is said that they built some more but not quite the same, so those bikes are equipped with different rear indicators if I recall, but also the front mudguard, I don't know what else. The total number of 120 has been said to be inaccurate anyway, but a consideration, is that of 35 homologation bikes, even less if 11 missing/stolen/embezzled (recorded on the original website), it leaves very few if what the net says can be true. I take it with a pinch of salt personally, but it's all interesting ;O) 1 of 120 is rare enough isn't it?

Around 6 or 8 of these suddenly appeared in the U.K. for around 18k then a black one or two sold as final editions for 22k I think, but as 'Mondial' the company that homologated the original machine, there are but a few, possibly 24. Mine is one of however many of the originals exist, with the race exhaust option fitted but also with one important original Mondial Invoice hidden away.

Pics: My Piega, mph, correct clip on, My Edwards...because ;O) and parts of me after this car was thrown at me and my R312. Hey Ho.
Attached Images

anothermvfanatic and nigelrb like this.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I like my F4 rather a lot.

It has just turned over 6000 kilometers.

It has amassed those since 2007.
Probably 500 of those have been in my ownership.

While it does make me happy to look at and probably will head to my lounge before too long I have just bought the Sato lowering thingy so I can comfortably get on and off it and have an even money chance of holding it upright should I stop and put a foot down in gravel etc.

While I don't want it to get too many k's on the clock I sure don't want it purely as an ornament because I love the way it makes me feel ALIVE when I ride it.

I always put way too many miles on my bikes to get top dollar when I sell even though they are maintained to the max but surely that is not a crime..?

The F4 is one of four road bikes I own and they do make me happy to just look at some quiet moments but RIDE 'EM IF YA GOT 'EM!
nigelrb likes this.

Currently in the shed...

2007 F4 312R Black / White / Red.
2012 HD FXDWG 103 Blue Flames
2013 Ducati Diavel Very Black Metallic
1981 Triumph T140 Bonneville Maroon / Cream.
1973 Yamaha CT3 175 chook chaser

Adelaide...Sarf-A-Straylia
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Established Member

"Investing" in motorcycles is like investing in snakes. If you want to invest, pay for good advice from and expert with a proven track record and make real money. If you want to buy and/or ride motorcycles investing wisely makes it so much easier.

Regardless... Buying a motorcycle and not riding it is like keeping a mistress and not... Well, you know.

Life is too short to not ride whenever we can.

2017 Dragster

2014 BMW R1200GS
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 AM

I couldn't have a bike and not ride it, regardless of the mileage it has.

There are surely three types of owner;

Rider
Collector
Investor

Each has it's merits. The latter two examples keep bikes pristine for someone to enjoy years down the line. If that gives them enjoyment great. It doesn't do the bike a lot of good to have it sat there and it's a pity that some of the best beasts will never truly roar.

I bought a delivery mileage Kawasaki ZXR750R M1 Homologation last year. Beautiful bike in my favourite colours, it had been kept in an Italian collection for 24 years and had never been run in, with a mere 24 miles on the clock when I bought her. It had been stored dry from a fuel perspective and was as new. Family and friends were split on whether I should ride it or preserve it, with most saying that I should preserve it to retain the value! What's the point? For me the value is in the riding. I don't think for what I paid that it was a particularly good investment for the original owner considering it was money tied up for 24 years, for a 100% return (less than that as I bought from a dealer)! I may have devalued it by registering it and riding it, but assuming it doesn't get dropped which is the biggest risk when using a rare/valuable machine from a depreciation perspective (equally a risk for a collector/Investor), it should depreciate far less than modern machinery and should still be very desirable regardless of having some miles on it as in ten years time it'll still only have 5k miles on the clock. I actually couldn't care too much what it's worth as I have no intentions on selling.

It runs beautifully and now has 500 miles on the clock. I've just finished the first phase of running in and recently rebuilt the brake calipers as the brakes were underwhelming. I expected they may need attention and they did. On splitting them, I was quite surprised by the mess inside the bodies, even though the brake hoses and fluid was drained/replaced before it was recommissioned.

Like Nigel, I have 6 bikes, each one is MOT'd/Taxed and ready to go. I use them all in nice weather, it keeps the mileage evenly spread without loading up the miles on any of them. I'm happy to do less than 500 miles on each of them a year, taking whichever bike mood dictates. I have one that is taxed all year round, the adventure bike, the rest only see fair weather and taxed for 6 months of the year April-September which is our mildest months. I guess I fall into the rider/collector category. So although collector, mine enjoy limited but regular use and servicing which I believe is better for the bike than storing them totally unused if they are ever to see the light of day on a road again.

I get the appeal of those who consider them as works of art, I'd rather have a bike on the wall than a painting but when it has such a functional and emotive purpose, it does seem a waste, or does that make it an even worthier art piece, all that potential preserved....waiting to be unleashed!!!
nigelrb likes this.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Well said @Nito.

Congrats on the Kawasaki, and a good pick-up. Any problems with fork seals or suspension components after such a long store? Just wondering, because even when stored in a temperature-controlled environment, as I'm sure it was, I might expect to find some perishing.

All mine get a run also. It reminds me of one of my old part-time jobs rotating 'stock' in a supermarket!!

2007 MV F4 1000R
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 01:21 PM

I expected to need to do forkseals but nothing yet, all good.

The cush drive which was the last thing I expected, deteriorated within the first 500 miles to the point the rear sprocket had about 3-4mm play. So far that’s it really.

I’ve rebuilt all 3 calipers with new seals and dust seals, together with EBC HH pads front and rear and fitted new cush as well as fitting new tyres and black (stealth) Goodrich hoses all around when it was first recomissioned. I put Millers competition running in oil for the first 500 miles to aid bed in.

It now stops brilliantly, the tyres (Rosso III) are superb and together with braided hoses and modern pads makes it feel every bit as good as it looks 🙂

It’s had no issues with the carbs (which are flat slide CR’s, or anything else. I swapped out the silencer for a NOS Period correct Giannelli to preserve the original and even kept the original tyres with zero wear on them as well as the original pads and hoses.

Cheers
Nito
nigelrb likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode