Whoops!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Whoops!!

Today, in preparation for my trip to Indianapolis for the MotoGP, I decided to set up my trailer to carry the F4. I'm taking the wife to Chicago to visit relatives and will ride the bike from Chicago to Indy for the festivities. I bought a metal ramp, ratchet tie downs and a sport chock. I anchored the trailer so it wouldn't move and put the ramp against the back of the trailer. I'm by myself so I decided to use the engine to propel the bike up the ramp. I got the front wheel in the trailer but had to stop to get my footing and then attempted to get it the rest of the way into the trailer. I slipped the clutch, spun the rear tire and it spit the ramp off the trailer, causing the back of the bike to drop off the rear of the trailer. It landed on the body work and fortunately didn't fall over, but now I've got a bike sitting on the back edge of the trailer, can't go forward or backward. I did a quick check and there didn't seem to be any damage. I was able to pick up the back end and pull it out far enough for the rear wheel to touch down but the front is still on the trailer and I didn't have a way of letting go or else it would fall over. I was able to lasso the sport chock and pull it to the front end, then push the bike into the sport chock so I could let it go. Jacked up the front end of the trailer thus lowering the back end enough so I could back the bike down and drop the front on to the ground. A few scratches on the underside of the bottom plastic but otherwise ok. I then figured out a more safe way to load the bike and am now prepared for the trip. Duh!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Good story. You 'lassoed' the problem well Cowboy!

E d w a r d B4910s08

Public Service Announcement
.................................................. .....................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)

Location: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
Bike Model/s: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:07 PM

New Site Garage
forgive me for saying so but isn't the indy round 30-08-09, are you not leaving a bit early or should i just read the whole post lol
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

You're correct about the date. I had some extra time and wanted to get it done. No sense in procrastinating
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
ASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocalosh Black View Post
forgive me for saying so but isn't the indy round 30-08-09, are you not leaving a bit early or should i just read the whole post lol
....thanks man....I was thinking the same thing...

Ciao, Andreas
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 06:14 PM

New Site Garage
lol fair play dude
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 PM

Cool

Quote:
I'm by myself...
Sounds like one of these slapstick movies...

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Wooo! Nice save! I dont have a trailer so I load my bike into the back of my truck with a little ramp... Scary! The ramp does not have a lot of traction either so the tire spins up the ramp almost every time. I have had a few close calls before but have not lost it yet.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Big Randaddy

I've got a similar story. Let me set the scene .....Twenty five years ago I'm loading my dad's big farm tractor on a car trailer.

Jackie and I have just bought our home on a cul-de-sac in Suburbia. It's a Sunday afternoon in the autumn. Five or six neighbors we've not yet met out in the street talking with each other. Our driveway has a modest uphill slant. I've got an old Pontiac Catalina sedan (nicknamed Dick Butkus) with a zillion miles on it as a tow vehicle.

OK, so think about it......Catalina with trailer parked uphill in my driveway. Me behind the trailer up on my dad's 5000 pound tractor ready to pull up on the trailer.....I start up the ramps......and just as I get my rear wheels on the edge of the trailer, the front of the trailer picks the rear of the Catalina up off the ground. I had certainly never thought about it, but at that instant, I realized that the emergency brake on my Catalina is on the rear wheels, which are currently 2 inches off the ground. I'm certainly way too cool to use a chock behind a car or trailer wheel. Who need those, right?

So, you know what happens next, right? Yep, me up on the tractor, the tractor mostly up on the trailer, the trailer attached to the Catalina, with it's ass up in the air............all start rolling down my driveway, right out into the cul-de-sac.......right in front of my impressionable new neighbors.......

My thoughts at that moment?????? Serious pucker factor ......embarassment .....fear .....anger ......you name it.......

Car, trailer, tractor, and Bubba slide out into the street and execute the perfect jack knife maneuver on the rear fender of Dick Butkus.

Prior to this escapade, Butkus is a $500 car......now he's a $200 car. Prior to this escapade, Bubba is potentially semi-cool, after all, he's married to the hot Ms. Jackie......

Now Bubba is a certified Dumb Ass to the new neighbors.......Do I give a dahamn? Why, hell no. I'm still married to the prettiest girl in the neighborhood, she's always known I was a dumb ass, and she loves me anyway......

We lived in that house for twelve more years........

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
That would have got you 10,000 bucks on "Americas Funniest Home Videos" Bubba.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode