Left turn side swipe - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Left turn side swipe

Classic - got taken out by a left turner the other night.

I was proceeding through an intersection on a green light, car coming towards me hooks a left and cuts the corner quickly [he should of stopped] I remember braking and thinking 'bastid should stopped' As the car clears my path I let off the brakes - second car follows the first and I get nailed, Hard, on the left forward side.

There was no time to consider options - it was 'Impact imminent' and more of a 'how to take the hit'.

My bike is/was a DR650 built tall - I like the fact that I can see down the road aways and over the occasional yellow cab. As the car crashed into me I raised up out of the saddle and pulled my left leg - partly a flinch reaction - out of the way. The bike was taken out from underneath me and I Launched into a sky roll that ended up with me becoming his new hood ornament.

Laying on my back spreadeagled - looking at the stars - strangely calm, I knew I had to wait for EMS even though I could move my fingers and toes I had some funny sensations and wanted to go to sleep really badly.

Full trauma situation - cops, fire, ems ride to hospital - you know it.

Cut to the chase.

Trauma team says atgatt's done its thing and I am perfectly ok except they need to get a neck ct scan and account for my some back and neck pain numbness tingling sensations etc.

Now 3 o'clock am ct scan comes back. You have a broken neck C5 vertebra.

possible complete quad. fuck.

'You must be admitted and have an mri, we can't let you leave, we can't let you move, you cannot have anything to eat and no meds, just stay there while we completely immobilise you until tomorrow.....' they strapped me down for the night - I had lots of time to inspect the ceiling.

It's now a couple of weeks later - still wearing a neck brace - maybe coming off this weekend, I hope to make a full recovery and return to normally scheduled programming. [ThankyouGod]

A couple of things:

I was lucky and life feels very good right now - colors are brighter, food tastes better, sun feels warmer - count your lucky stars and enjoy what you have - it can all be taken away in an instant - playing with complete quadrupedic paralysis is a real eye opener.

In an mva don't be a hero and start running around all over the place kicking peoples asses and putting the world to rights - you may be more injured than you think, so start slow makinf=g sure that all your body parts work before you jump up and kick butt.

Have no doubts about you insurance coverage. This little shunt is costing upwards of 40k and progressive does not sell medical coverage for riders -only their passengers and other vehicles occupants - even if you think you have full coverage comp/col etc. Check your bike policy.

I'm glad I was riding an 'Adv' bike - the height and riding position gave me a real advantage to be able to rise up out of the way - my left leg would surely have been mangled if I had been on a cruiser or sport bike.

My highway pegs that everybody laughed at when I installed them acted like a crumple zone and absorbed a lot of the kinetic energy of the hit - looks like the bike is rebuildable.

Accidents do happen - I've been riding for 30 years and haven't had a major incident for 22.

Most collisions happen within 5 miles of 'home' so stay alert and wear your best gear all the time.

Damn I'm glad to be alive and kicking! Hope to be able to do a track day at the end of june - I'm healing fast by eating right and gently stretching my flexibility no laying around and moping with the pain.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Cool

Quacker you're a lucky man, and a wise one to boot. I salute you. Enjoy life while you can (like I do) and consider how relative everything is.

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
The Machinist

Wow, crazy stuff! I'm glad your going to be ok.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

An amendment - If I had been riding the Brute I could still have gotten out of the way. If I had been riding the Brute the f*****r would have been dead now from the ass kicking I'd have given him for f'ing up my bike. Ha!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:34 AM

Glad you're ok.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 AM

wow- hope for a full recovery, and your attitude is commendable
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 12:12 PM

Dat-a-boy!

E d w a r d B4910s08

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Forum Introduction Thread)
2. Include your LOCATION in your profile: Tools > User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your details > Additional Information > Location
3. Include your BIKE MODEL/S in your signature: Tools > User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Established Member

Q,

Glad to hear you're ok & getting better fast! These situations happen all too often, due to complete carelessness from drivers. Annoys the shit outta me!

I too was made a hood orniment about 6 years ago, from a 70 year old man who ran a red light. Get's better... he had no insurance, registration, license, or inspection. He only got a $550 fine? WTF? The systems broken & not getting better.

We REALLY need to be careful out there.

All the best!
G

06 910S / Matris Damper / Arrow Mid Pipe / CRG Mirrors / Moto License Plate Relo & Bar Ends / Frame & Axle Sliders / Ohlins Rear Spring / 41 tooth rear sprocket / Custom Seat
03 HD V-Rod

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"... George Harrison
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:32 PM

thank God you're ok!!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 PM

glad you're ok.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode