F4 750 Handling / Set Up - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

F4 750 Handling / Set Up

Hi all-

Can anyone tell me how to set the bike up to be neutral handling.

The previous owner has dropped the forks through the yolks a bit i think as it tips into a corner by itself, i prefer a neutral handling bike and not being told to tip it in but to tell it to tip in.

Master servant issues :-)

Heres a picture of the forks tops, not sure if he's altered the ride height, somehow i feel he wouldn't of but has probably dropped the front a touch. Should the red tops be flush with the top yolk i wonder????

I need it back to factory please if anyone can help-

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/u...aunch021-1.jpg

P.S sorry i can't take any better images but haven't picked up the bike yet- D'Day's Wed next week :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 02:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Hello Mr. Blond.
Bikes that feel like they are tipping into a corner too easily may be doing this for a combination of reasons. The most likely is that the have very little rake and trail. So here is a list of things you can change to increase rake and trail and make the bike feel more neutal. Be aware that too much rake and trail will make the bike less flickable during rapid change of direction.
Refer to step 3 first.
1: Drop the forks through the triple clamps. Don't go nuts with this, maybe 5mm at a time until the bike is giving you the feedback you are looking for. It will not take much adjustment to feel a change.

2: Lower the ride height at the rear. As above, if you take this path, make small changes. This will not have quite as much of an effect on rake and trail as moving the forks around but it will increase rake and trail and thet is what we are talking about. lowering the rear too far will tend to make the bike understeer on the exit of a corner under acceleration.

For points 1 and 2, make notes on your starting point, even if you don't like where it is now, so you can always go back to those settings in the unlikely event that you make things worse than before.

3: Tyre profile and tyre pressure. Check the tyre pressure and condition of the tyre. Make sure the profile and manufacturer of the tyre match front and rear and are the suitable for the bike. I like 32 psi (measured at room temp) front and rear, no doubt you will have a preference.

My final thoughts on this are that MV made this bike very adjustable so you can set the bike up to your preference, I congratulate you on trying to improve the bike to your preference.
Dave.

Last edited by The_castle; 05-29-2009 at 02:41 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Established Member

I'm not certain from that angle but it looks pretty close to the factory setting for a 750 on the forks. Mine was about 5 rings through the tripple clamp from memory.

MV Agusta 05 F4 1000
BMW 09 K1300S
Ducati 00 748R
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

yes the 750 is set 4 or 5 rings through the forks compared to the 312 being 1 or 2 rings through

I stuck a pic on here sometime back but dont have time to search

here we go
http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21076&page=2

Last edited by F41NXS; 05-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Roy and all for your advice- i think, from memory its probably 4 or 5 rings on the front, so, he may of jacked the rear up slightly or over inflated the tyres- i know its running a 190 on the rear which i will change for 120 / 180 Bridgestone BT016 combo-

Will take a detailed look when i take delivery this week and probably post some images to pick your more experienced MV brains :-)

Thanks- James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode