odd behavior from the Brute today... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

odd behavior from the Brute today...

As I get to work today, I seem to notice the engine is running a bit rough at, or near, idle. This is 1/4 mile before I park it in the garage. Odd.

I return to the bike at the end of the day, 8 1/2 hours later and see that there is a pile of kitty litter under/adjacent to my bike. I then see that the Brute is/has been leaking fuel out of one of the overflow (?) lines (lines that exit under the left-hand side of the bike, near the water pump). I move the bike a few feet to take a closer look and an ounce or two of fuel runs out of the same line and then stops. As I got to work this am the tank was about half full.

Start bike. Dies. Start again. Dies. Start bike while holding the throttle partially open. Bike starts, but dies when I close the throttle.
Start again with the throttle partially open and hold it there for "a minute". Bike idles roughly. Helmet and gloves on and off I go.

Pulling away from stops, the bike sounds like an old Volkswagon. Above two or three thousand rpm, it sounds fine. After a mile or so all seems to be well.

?,
Chris

2006 910S
2019 BMW S1kR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Gremlins.

Batch of bad fuel?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 PM

I had this same thing happen, minus the fuel leak.

Turned out to be a dying battery of all things.

If you're leaking fuel, I'd check the fittings under the tank--Are you sure it's leaking from the INSIDE of the overflow tube, and not just along the OUTSIDE?

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Did you just fill it up? slightly overfilled an expanding fuel leaking out vent and causing a bit of "vapor lock" in the tank??

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 AM

Sounds just like mine that got fixed. Check the lines inside the tank. Mine developed a split in the line at the top and it only leaked when it was full. When it leaked down past the split it quit. It also loaded up the motor and wouldn't idle and it took several miles of ringing its neck to get it to clear out and run. Apparently today's fuel eats on the rubber lines that MV uses. Going to replace the lines in my wife's 910R at her 7500 mile service.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

I'll see if it leaks again, but I am fairly certain that it was coming from inside the line. The tank was about half full yesterday.

2006 910S
2019 BMW S1kR
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadogr1 View Post
Sounds just like mine that got fixed. Check the lines inside the tank. Mine developed a split in the line at the top and it only leaked when it was full. When it leaked down past the split it quit. It also loaded up the motor and wouldn't idle and it took several miles of ringing its neck to get it to clear out and run. Apparently today's fuel eats on the rubber lines that MV uses. Going to replace the lines in my wife's 910R at her 7500 mile service.
Filled the tank on the way home from work tonight and it immediately began running roughly. Parked it at home, went inside to drop my gear and grabbed a flashlight. Back to the bike and it is dripping fuel out of the overflow line (definitely from inside the line).

Thanks for the tip yamadog. I'm going to check out the lines inside the tank.

2006 910S
2019 BMW S1kR
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Good Luck. I am willing to bet one of the lines has a split or hole in it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadogr1 View Post
Good Luck. I am willing to bet one of the lines has a split or hole in it.

That's what it was. The line inside the tank that eventually leads the the charcoal cannister had broken off at the fitting at the top of the tank. Thanks for the tip.

Chris

2006 910S
2019 BMW S1kR
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Was it petrol or diesel ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode