My Visit to Kevin Schwantz School #34 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ESP
Talking My Visit to Kevin Schwantz School #34

Hi All-

I just completed Kevin Schwantzís Program at Barber Motorsports and thought some of you may be interested in my experience.

Let me start with the only negative thing. For me getting to the facility was a little difficult with no direct flights from Milwaukee to Birmingham, and only a couple out of OíHare which is further and not at great times. I took a connection in Memphis on the way down and out of Atlanta on the way back, I just personally prefer direct flights as itís less chance for the airlines to lose my bags!

On to the fun stuff! Iím sure most people on the forum spend some time at race tracks either as a spectator or on the track yourself, Road America is my home track (And I love it) and I have been to countless others.

This was my first time at Barber, I was in heaven. What a facility!!! It literally looks like a country club or PGA course, the folks at Autobahn Country Club should spend some time at Barber and learn about how to truly present a facility. Barber is nothing short of breath taking (for a track guy that is!) The track is a bit too short but to be honest in a learning situation like this I actually liked that as I was able to get better on the track quicker and learn the layout faster.

For those of you that have been to Barber you know what I am talking about. I could spend days at the museum alone, during the two day class Kevin lined up a tour with the museumís curator and even fired up some of the oldest most beautiful motorcycles on the planet. They claim to have in excess of 1200 motorcycles onsite and hundreds in a warehouse waiting to be restored or other.

Of course the Tamburni (I own #105) was proudly on display (and anything else you can imagine.)

The Schwantz program allows you to bring your own bike or rent a school bike. They have brand new Gixxers and CBRs I own a Gix so I chose to ride the CBR the bike I rode for the program had 400 miles on the clock and I put 186 on the bike during the two days so Iím guessing about 85 laps. By the way the CBR was awesome on the track, but I still love my Gix. During the two days we had on and off rain, with sessions in the wet and dry, so we got to experience a lot of different riding conditions and different ways to approach the track.

Most of my track experience has been in cars, I have done several Skip Barber open wheel schoolís, BMW Driving experience stuff, Track days with PCA and BMWCCA, as well as Super Moto at Road America. Every time I have gone to a driving school the instructors have huge egoís. Itís to be expected in this Testosterone filled environment. I have never left a driving or racing school having learned as much as I did at Kevinís school. His instructors are the best I have seen. They knew when to give feedback and when to let you figure it out on your own, the class was extremely safe and always in control yet it was not done in a way that reduce the fun or made me feel like I could not go as fast as I could.

The class is broken up by skill set group one being the fastest guys and in our case they all raced on a regular basis and they brought there track bikes to class. Class two is where I slotted in, this is for guys (and gals) with track experience, or are learning quickly and class three is for novices (with a minimum of one year experience on a bike)

I started off as one of the slower guys in group two but rapidly moved up the ranks as I learned. The instructors were very good at being able to judge the students ability and push them to do better without getting anyone out of there personal comfort zone.

During the class they had two instructors filming on 1000RRís and a professional photographer taking pictures at various track spots. After each 20 minute session we would watch video and see for ourselves how we could improve. Each student is mailed a DVD video of a lap they did from an instructor bike behind them and photoís from the photographer included in the package which I thought was WAY better than the sales pitch you have to site through at Skip Barber.

If you canít tell I was thrilled to have gone, and I will be going back probably many times. What a great two days. I'll post up some pictures in the next day or so.

P.S. #34 Kevin if you read this get some three day classes on the schedule!!!

Eric Perkins

-Eric

Garage:

2005 Tambo #105 (Race Brembo Monoblocks, and controls, custom seat)
2006 Ducati Xerox 999R #172 (too much to list, show)
2006 Bimota DB6R Delirio #6 (Zard exhaust, red lamps)
2007 Senna #184 (Uprated pumps, rear sets, Ti bolts, controls, HID, Integrated rear led brakes turn signals)
2007 GSX-R Sixer (Ti/Ti/Cf pipe, Yosh Racing Cam, pwr commander)
2007 Aprilia SR-50 R Factory (Leo Pipe and weights, it goes 50!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
Nice write up. It sounds like a great way to spend 2 days!! Do they post the cost of those classes on the net, or on their website? I might try and get my wife to buck up for a birthday present!

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneggs&ham View Post
Nice write up. It sounds like a great way to spend 2 days!! Do they post the cost of those classes on the net, or on their website? I might try and get my wife to buck up for a birthday present!
They do, it's funny you mention this two guys at class wives had given them the class as a b-day present and they both said it was the best present they had ever had.

You can do the sign up on the website or call them Marnie runs the program and is very nice. It's $1500 if you ride your bike and $1800 if you ride a school bike.

Worth every penny

http://www.schwantzschool.com/

-Eric

Garage:

2007 Senna #184 (Uprated pumps, rear sets, Ti bolts, controls, HID, Integrated rear led brakes turn signals)
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Big Randaddy

All the more reason to come to the Bubbalicious in October.....great post.

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 AM

You lucky Bars***d, i think reving Kevin is a leggend.

I read a book on his life story and his 93 GP title winning race was sheer agony through repeatedly being high-sided throughout his career. So much so he was loosing sensation in his right wrist but knew he could win if he kept in the race. So, down the long straight he would keep the throttle pinned with his left hand- thats 180mph+!!!!!!!

The guys a legend-

Nice one

James
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
You lucky Bars***d, i think reving Kevin is a leggend.

I read a book on his life story and his 93 GP title winning race was sheer agony through repeatedly being high-sided throughout his career. So much so he was loosing sensation in his right wrist but knew he could win if he kept in the race. So, down the long straight he would keep the throttle pinned with his left hand- thats 180mph+!!!!!!!

The guys a legend-

Nice one

James

Seriously Kevin was a great guy too. His entire team is good people.

He was on the track with us at times, he is uhm... FAST!!!

-Eric

Garage:

Last edited by ESP; 05-28-2009 at 12:48 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

Here are the pictures from the school and the Museum. Lot's of MV's in the Museum!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Eric.Per...SchoolMay2009#

-Eric

Garage:

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Nice pics.

Randy: make sure Barber is on the list of things to do at the Bubbalicious.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
ESP
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Nice pics.

Randy: make sure Barber is on the list of things to do at the Bubbalicious.
I'm going to do some searching for this Bubbalicious event, if Barber is involved I'm down! I could spend another day for sure.

ESP

-Eric

Garage:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 PM
ASM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
I'm going to do some searching for this Bubbalicious event, if Barber is involved I'm down! I could spend another day for sure.

ESP
Eric...let me help ya...http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19693....

Ciao, Andreas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode