Test rode 2017 multistrada - MVAgusta.net
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By llevero
  • 4 Post By Deano
  • 2 Post By Bumpkin
  • 2 Post By zzaraxx
  • 2 Post By Bumpkin
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
llevero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Las vegas, NV
Posts: 83
New Site Garage
Test rode 2017 multistrada

So I did a test ride on the 2017 Multistrada S touring. Getting tire of having to wait 2-3 months for parts from MV is getting frustrating. The other bike I would consider is a Multistrada. So, I test rode with my mind made that I was going to get one. First of all, the dealer only does a guided test ride with one of their employees leading the ride. Second is a 5 min test ride around 2 blocks with no highway, so I ask to do it twice. I wanted to test at highway speeds to check for wind protection and confort. So here are my thoughts comparing to my Turismo Veloce Lusso

My thoughts on the bike.
1. Confort - The reach to the hand bars is a stretch for me. Seat confort, cannot really tell as I was able to ride for 10 mins only. Reach to the pegs was fine. The rider triangle on my Turismo is a bit tighter and feels better for my size, with the bars closer and the seat feels more confortable in the turismo. I do not do 2 up very often to be concern with a top, but I do want one anyway.
2. Engine - lots or power, but it take to be high in the RPM to feel it. keep in mind that I was able to ride in Urban mode only and I could not change on the fly like I can do on my Turismo. I'm pretty sure in other modes the bike would response different. Engine felt with no character. Not like my 800.
3. No quikshifter
4. For some reason my turismo felt a little faster and quicker to turn.
At the end I decided to stik with my TVL for now. It made me realized how much fun is my TVL
Gero HH and Gero HH like this.

2016 TVL
Las Vegas NV
llevero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 03:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Deano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Townsville, QLD
Posts: 778
New Site Garage
Yeah mate, I'd need a much longer and more comprehensive test ride on any bike I considered buying. On the basis of that test if you let the TVL go it'd be a case of 'you never know what you've got 'till it's gone'.

Cheers

Deano
Deano is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Bumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Herefordshire, UK
Posts: 1,611
New Site Garage
I approached this the other way around. Was looking keenly at the Faultistrada, booked a test ride that was a complete shambles on the organisation front by the dealer. As well as, like you, a pedestrian escorted test ride once everything was resolved. Both of these points put me right off. Having spoken to my local MV dealer a few weeks earlier I rang the next day and arranged a test ride on a Turismo, purely out of curiosity. Turned up at 10am, was handed to the keys to a 400 mile old Lusso and instructed to be back by closing time... Within 3 miles I knew it was the bike for me, returned 100 odd miles later and placed my order. Collected a week later. That was two years ago last week, no regrets.
Fredzedex and Fredzedex like this.
Bumpkin is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 02:12 AM
Established Member
 
zzaraxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Dubrovnik, Croatia
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by llevero View Post
So I did a test ride on the 2017 Multistrada S touring. Getting tire of having to wait 2-3 months for parts from MV is getting frustrating. The other bike I would consider is a Multistrada. So, I test rode with my mind made that I was going to get one. First of all, the dealer only does a guided test ride with one of their employees leading the ride. Second is a 5 min test ride around 2 blocks with no highway, so I ask to do it twice. I wanted to test at highway speeds to check for wind protection and confort. So here are my thoughts comparing to my Turismo Veloce Lusso

My thoughts on the bike.
1. Confort - The reach to the hand bars is a stretch for me. Seat confort, cannot really tell as I was able to ride for 10 mins only. Reach to the pegs was fine. The rider triangle on my Turismo is a bit tighter and feels better for my size, with the bars closer and the seat feels more confortable in the turismo. I do not do 2 up very often to be concern with a top, but I do want one anyway.
2. Engine - lots or power, but it take to be high in the RPM to feel it. keep in mind that I was able to ride in Urban mode only and I could not change on the fly like I can do on my Turismo. I'm pretty sure in other modes the bike would response different. Engine felt with no character. Not like my 800.
3. No quikshifter
4. For some reason my turismo felt a little faster and quicker to turn.
At the end I decided to stik with my TVL for now. It made me realized how much fun is my TVL
I felt that bike more or less the same, powerful but comfort, this one was with full Ohlins, still front end was "soft" or "too far" to feel it, you can feel force but you can feel weight too, TV is ballerina compare to MS, build quality of "handmade" bike vs "industrial" bike i will not even compare.
But few months ago i tested XR, more sport oriented, you have power ready in low or high RPMs it will not bite you like V2 on high RPMs, quickshifter is soft and moves only one milimiter , i know it looks "ugly" "cold" "plain" compare to Italian bikes and colors are arghhhh but i recommend you to test it.
zzaraxx is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 04:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Bumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Herefordshire, UK
Posts: 1,611
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzaraxx View Post
TV is ballerina compare to MS, build quality of "handmade" bike vs "industrial" bike i will not even compare.
I think that sums it up pretty well.

If I was doing some two up touring I might consider a Multistrada, otherwise the TVL has it covered for me. Was out with a couple of capable guys on Multistrada DVTs a week ago, no issues keeping up and was easily gaping them in a little in the twisties (though admittedly I knew the road a little). On a roll-on shoot out the Ducati would no doubt romp away but the TV is more nimble in the curves, I know what my preference is...

Quote:
But few months ago i tested XR, more sport oriented, you have power ready in low or high RPMs it will not bite you like V2 on high RPMs, quickshifter is soft and moves only one milimiter , i know it looks "ugly" "cold" "plain" compare to Italian bikes and colors are arghhhh but i recommend you to test it.
But what about the vibes at highway speed? I've heard that they are unbearable over any reasonable distance and ruin the bike.

Chas
Previously a MY16 Turismo Veloce Lusso
Defected to a Ducati Multistrada 1260S Touring
Bumpkin is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:35 AM
Senior Member
 
number2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charleston South Carolina
Posts: 5,539
I have a 2016 XR and with a couple of minor fixes the vibration has been greatly reduced and the bike is fun to tour aboard. Lots of power and good comfort. I have a top case factory bags and a Nav V plus the quickshifter is a true piece of quality technology. I would reommend the
number2 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:51 AM
Established Member
 
zzaraxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Dubrovnik, Croatia
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
I think that sums it up pretty well.

If I was doing some two up touring I might consider a Multistrada, otherwise the TVL has it covered for me. Was out with a couple of capable guys on Multistrada DVTs a week ago, no issues keeping up and was easily gaping them in a little in the twisties (though admittedly I knew the road a little). On a roll-on shoot out the Ducati would no doubt romp away but the TV is more nimble in the curves, I know what my preference is...



But what about the vibes at highway speed? I've heard that they are unbearable over any reasonable distance and ruin the bike.
I have no idea, i was on twisty coastal road for some 250-300km, never notice any major vibrations, it was 2017 model.
Gero HH and Gero HH like this.
zzaraxx is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Bumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Herefordshire, UK
Posts: 1,611
New Site Garage
From what I've been told, no direct experience so this is hearsay, that at around 70-80mph there are high frequency vibrations through the bars. After an extended period these can make your hands numb.

Last time I head this mentioned was a week ago talking to a couple of guys on a rideout, both had DVT Multistradas and had both tried the BMW as a possible alternative.

Maybe BMW have done something to remedy this on recent versions? It's definitely something to ask the dealer about and insist on a decent length test ride to see for yourself.
zzaraxx and zzaraxx like this.

Last edited by Bumpkin; 05-15-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Bumpkin is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Established Member
 
llevero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Las vegas, NV
Posts: 83
New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpkin View Post
I think that sums it up pretty well.

If I was doing some two up touring I might consider a Multistrada, otherwise the TVL has it covered for me. Was out with a couple of capable guys on Multistrada DVTs a week ago, no issues keeping up and was easily gaping them in a little in the twisties (though admittedly I knew the road a little). On a roll-on shoot out the Ducati would no doubt romp away but the TV is more nimble in the curves, I know what my preference is...



But what about the vibes at highway speed? I've heard that they are unbearable over any reasonable distance and ruin the bike.

For the XR the 2017 got rid of the vibes. I wrote a 2017 XR and I like it better than the DVT as far as the engine and response. But I leaned fwd a little too much for my confort.

2016 TVL
Las Vegas NV
llevero is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Senior Member
 
eddypro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 3,493
The Multi has some irritating issues ,my mate has one and is always complaining about wind noise ,he has now modified 3 front screens with no joy ,gearing is horrible at low speed turning into corners and has dropped one tooth on the front sprocket, the PC Dash settings are frustrating to set , there is a flat spot in the rpm range , He is always complaining about the bike ,good luck ,I went for the Gs 1200 lc .

cheers eddy
eddypro is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome